Why doesn't my computer detect my usb flash drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samanimi

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
I have a 8 GB Transcend flash drive. I works properly on other systems (at least one system), but when I plug it in my Laptop, it is not even detected. Other USB devices work perfectly with my laptop, the only problem is with my Flash drive AND my laptop. I have tried to re install USB Hubs etc. of the laptop, but it did not help. Could you please help me?

Solution
1.) Connect the USB when laptop is OFF

Start up the laptop and check whether it is detected in the BIOS setup
If YES update windows.

2.) Try to format it on other computer and then connect it to your laptop

3.) Try and check if other USB work on your laptop.

madthomas

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
1.) Connect the USB when laptop is OFF

Start up the laptop and check whether it is detected in the BIOS setup
If YES update windows.

2.) Try to format it on other computer and then connect it to your laptop

3.) Try and check if other USB work on your laptop.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try this here

http://askville.amazon.com/computer-recognize-flash-drive/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=41446759

copy paste-

If your Windows XP computer is not recognizing your flash drive, its likely that you computer simply is confused as to what drive letter to assign to the memory stick. Fortunately, the fix is a simple one. This trick also works when your computer refuses to recognize a USB drive or other removable storage device.

First, hit Windows+E to open an Explorer window.

Select “My Computer.”

Right click and choose “Manage” from the contextual menu. This will open a window called “Computer Management.”

Select “Disk Management”, which is under “Storage”

On the bottom right side of the window, you’ll see a list of all of the storage devices currently attached to the computer. If your flash drive is listed there, that’s great—you can fix the problem. If not, this solution won’t work.

Right click on the drive listed in that window. This will bring up a contextual menu. Choose “Change Drive Letter and Paths.”

This will bring up yet another window, which will show your “missing” drive. Choose “Change” at the bottom.

Another window will pop up. This one will have a drop down menu on the right hand side. Choose a letter “higher” than the one currently assigned to the drive. If it’s “E”, for example, choose a letter between “F” and “Z.” Its probably best to pick one toward the end of the alphabet.

Once you’ve selected a drive letter, a warning message will come up saying that “Changing The Drive Letter of a Volume Might Cause Programs No Longer To run.”

That’s OK. It’s likely that all you’ve got on the drive is data. Click on Yes.

That will return you to the Computer Management Window.

Your drive now should function properly.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
im assuming your usb slots are working since you mentioned peripherals are working like your keyboard and mouse. Windows Vista and 7 should have no problems reading usb sticks and Xp usually had trouble with larger usb sticks greater than 2gb.

Sorry if im incorrect in assuming.

samanimi

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

I formatted my flash drive on my other system. Yet it is not detected by my laptop. My laptop has 3 USB ports and none works. I mean none works with my flash drive, they work properly with devices such as printer, mouse, my other flash drive.

dschatt

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
I'm having the same problem with jump drives on USB ports with several windows XP Pro PCs. When I look under Disk Mangement I can see that it is recognizing them but they have no letter associated with them. I try adding one and all I get is that it isn't enbled and you need to reboot to enable it. Rebooting does not enable them. This is frustrating.

IanOW

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

I have the identical problem. Changed drive letter to one higher. No Joy. Additional information: the drive shows ready to remove when "Safely remove Hardware" icon is clicked.
The drive works perfectly under Ubuntu on the same PC

LaMarcus

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
right click my computer> click manage> click disk management> right click disk 1> click change drive letter> click add. that should fix it once you give it a letter. I hope this helps, I had the same problem

Michele_IT

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

My antivirus was blocking the autorun that would have installed the driver from the usb. Went into device manager, found it under Other Devices, right click and installed the driver from there.

phavv

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Hey, I already tried that and it is now shown in the "My Computer" window, but when I double click it, it says "Please insert a disk intro drive (Z: )".

What now?

Status
Not open for further replies.