Question Why dont i see a performance increase after upgrading?

Feb 24, 2023
Hi,

So I've recently upgraded my Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 7 2700x, and I also upgraded my GTX 1070 to a RTX 2060 12gb. I've been playing warzone a lot and before my upgrade i ran my game in 60-80 fps on comp settings. However after my upgrade the frames stay the same or are even worse, even though it should be a noticeable upgrade. I've been looking at my task manager while playing and noticed that my cpu is between 50-70% usage and my gpu is between 20-40% usage. So my pc should be able to push more frames, does anyone know a fix for this. I've installed all the latest drivers for my gpu.

specs
cpu: ryzen 7 2700x prism cooler
gpu: rtx 2060 12gb
ram: corsair vengeance lpx 3000mhz
mobo: gigabyte b450m s2h v2
psu: gigabyte 450w 80+ bronze
ssd: 1x kingston 480gb 1x intel 120gb ssd

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Do you have benchmarks to compare? Actual data would be more useful than a rough estimate.

In any case, this wasn't really much of an upgrade. You'd never notice the difference between a 2600 and 2700X unless in highly threaded applications and a 1070 to a 2060 is like a 5-10% fps upgrade.

Very confused by this whole build. Why spend money on what are basically sidegrades while still running a junky group-regulated PSU that isn't suitable for either configuration? There's some serious efficiency and priority issues here to unwind.

Feb 24, 2023
Do you have benchmarks to compare? Actual data would be more useful than a rough estimate.

In any case, this wasn't really much of an upgrade. You'd never notice the difference between a 2600 and 2700X unless in highly threaded applications and a 1070 to a 2060 is like a 5-10% fps upgrade.

Very confused by this whole build. Why spend money on what are basically sidegrades while still running a junky group-regulated PSU that isn't suitable for either configuration? There's some serious efficiency and priority issues here to unwind.
do you recommend that i buy a new psu?

Most games will be limited by either the cpu or gpu.
In particular the single thread cpu capability seems to be the mos important.
In that, your upgrade was hardly much.
You may think with 40%-60% cpu usage that you have more than enough.
Not so much.
Likely one or two of your cores are running full out lowering the average cpu utilization.
Activate task manager performance tab and look at the logical processor distribution.

As a test, reduce the graphics settings and resolution for one of your games.
Does the performance increase much, or is it largely the same ?
If same, the cpu is your limiting factor.
If performance improves, then the graphics card is your limiting factor.
Fast action games are usually limited by the graphics cards, games such as strategy, MMO and sims will usually be limited by the cpu single thread performance.

Run the cpu-Z bench test and look at the single thread rating.
You should see something like 470:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/p2d7tu

Hi,

So I've recently upgraded my Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 7 2700x, and I also upgraded my GTX 1070 to a RTX 2060 12gb. I've been playing warzone a lot and before my upgrade i ran my game in 60-80 fps on comp settings. However after my upgrade the frames stay the same or are even worse, even though it should be a noticeable upgrade. I've been looking at my task manager while playing and noticed that my cpu is between 50-70% usage and my gpu is between 20-40% usage. So my pc should be able to push more frames, does anyone know a fix for this. I've installed all the latest drivers for my gpu.

specs
cpu: ryzen 7 2700x prism cooler
gpu: rtx 2060 12gb
ram: corsair vengeance lpx 3000mhz
mobo: gigabyte b450m s2h v2
psu: gigabyte 450w 80+ bronze
ssd: 1x kingston 480gb 1x intel 120gb ssd
return cpu and replace with 5600x, price should be similar to 2700x, but performance uplift is higher in games

Feb 24, 2023
Most games will be limited by either the cpu or gpu.
In particular the single thread cpu capability seems to be the mos important.
In that, your upgrade was hardly much.
You may think with 40%-60% cpu usage that you have more than enough.
Not so much.
Likely one or two of your cores are running full out lowering the average cpu utilization.
Activate task manager performance tab and look at the logical processor distribution.

As a test, reduce the graphics settings and resolution for one of your games.
Does the performance increase much, or is it largely the same ?
If same, the cpu is your limiting factor.
If performance improves, then the graphics card is your limiting factor.
Fast action games are usually limited by the graphics cards, games such as strategy, MMO and sims will usually be limited by the cpu single thread performance.

Run the cpu-Z bench test and look at the single thread rating.
You should see something like 470:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/p2d7tu
i will try that