Why GPU Pricing Is About to Drop Even Further

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-unit1111

Titan
I actually welcome a surplus. After the shortage we've had to endure the last 8 months, and the absolute hell that was, I think an abundance of GPUs will entice more gamers and system enthusiasts to build their own as opposed to buying prebuilt, and it will also reduce the number of garbage / fake cards being sold on eBay, Amazon, and so on.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Don't buy till retail drops to MSRP or less! Let gamers dictate the price for once! We have to teach Nvidia a lesson!
This will also help versus rumors that the next Nvidia flagship will have a price increase over previous gen.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Anyone that bought gpu's to mine in early 2018 was totally screwed, good for them, intelligent people knew this was going to fall, gpu mining was good when you could get them close to MSRP in late 2016/early 2017 and sell the gpu's in march 2018.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
You can get an RX570 4GB for $219 at amazon, $209 with mail in rebate. It's the most bang for buck gpu, totally destroys a GTX 1050/1050ti and it's performance is around half an OCed to hell 1080 or Titan Xp depending if the game is nvidia or amd optimized.

Good deal.

InvalidError

Titan

It won't.

Most of the marking-up happens at the retailers' end. Nvidia doesn't have control over retail prices, all it does is supply the GPU chips to AIB partner on contract pricing. Nvidia doesn't receive an extra penny from third-party boards retailing at twice Nvidia's MSRP, the only extra cash it gets is from bumping prices on its own Founders Edition boards.

Jul 9, 2018
I can't get excited about 2 year old video cards almost dropping to their original MSRP. I won't be buying for quite a while - probably not this year.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Problem is the surplus (if the rumors are to be believed), it will delay new products and is likely the reason why nvidia haven't launched the new series already. Heck if the rumors are true and nvidia will anyway soon release the new gpu's i would say nvidias CEO lied peeps straight in the face when saying the new gen is way off just to sell more of the surplus.

g-unit1111

Titan

Actually this will be more teaching the retailers a lesson more than it will NVIDIA. NVIDIA only sets the MSRP, it does not determine what they sell for after the fact. After all, it's the retailers and 3rd party sellers that were responsible for the obscene markups.

stdragon

Admirable

nVidia has nothing to do with the scalping by BitCoin miners.If anything, this hurts nVidia in the long run.

Now, what nVidia could do is launch some sort of gaming campaign where purchases are limited to one per customer. After a surplus, then open it up for the miners to bulk-buy later. But let gamers and OEMs get dibs first.

D

Deleted member 2449095

Not seeing any price changes in second hand GFX cards. To make matters worse, people thing they can charge almost or even above the retail price selling a used card. That's true in Poland at least.

Several thoughts:

1) This is both good and bad. It's good for we on the buyer's side, but bad on the seller's side if you are looking to sell your GPU. For example I sold one of my two GTX 970s I had in SLI last summer, a year ago this month actually, and bought a $750 1080 Ti. I got $250 for that card which only months prior was on eBay for $175 average. Prices are going down again on the used market. Even my five year old GTX 680 rose in value at that time from $80 to over $150. It's falling too.

2) History has shown prices do not drop on video cards approaching a new generation upgrade. Places like NewEgg for example will keep their prices as high as possible until stock runs out. This was for people like me who bought one GPU then later wanted to upgrade with a second one for SLI or Crossfire. My multi-GPU days are over now, so it's no longer going to be a concern.

3) I really wish AMD would build a GPU to compete with Nvidia's flagship Ti series. Their last try at that was the Fury X which was supposed to be a 980 Ti killer. It fell flat and was not even competitively priced less, one of AMD's trademarks. However, I know that AMD has a lot of irons in the fire between making CPUs for computers, APUs for gaming consoles, and GPUs for video cards. They have a lot of R&D money spread around.

InvalidError

Titan

Vega64 was supposed to be somewhere up there but under-delivered on performance while busting the power and price tag budgets. Hopefully Vega 7nm/Navi won't repeat those shortcomings but we don't really have a real timetable for their consumer versions, if any.

That's fine with me, I don't upgrade GPUs more than once every 4-5 years and my GTX1050 isn't even two years old.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I can see that having a long term effect on the used market. Of course like this latest shortage you never know what's going to happen.

3) I really wish AMD would build a GPU to compete with Nvidia's flagship Ti series. Their last try at that was the Fury X which was supposed to be a 980 Ti killer. It fell flat and was not even competitively priced less, one of AMD's trademarks. However, I know that AMD has a lot of irons in the fire between making CPUs for computers, APUs for gaming consoles, and GPUs for video cards. They have a lot of R&D money spread around.

The Vega 56 and Vega 64 were actually pretty decent contenders. The only problem was nobody could find them anywhere for the longest time and people just forgot they existed.

pensive69

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
'....I actually welcome a surplus. ...'

10-4 there.
our firm has delayed higher end GPU's for about a half year while waiting for this exact bubble to bust. i have graphics systems just waiting to power the 1080 boards.
can't happen too quickly for us.

hotsacoman

Honorable
Feb 21, 2016
People shouldn't buy any 10-series cards. Its nonsense. These cards were released in 2016, with the exception of the 1080 ti, which came out the following year. You have to understand that while the cards stay at relatively the same performance level, the software (games) increases in demand. If you purchase a 1080, you can MAYBE run the most demanding games from this year at 1440p at medium / low detail. With the exception of a few less demanding games, The 1070 / 1080 are now 1080p Ultra detail cards! Don't be fooled into believing they are high end. The 1080ti is the only card worth purchasing once its price comes down. Vega's are so power hungry with lackluster performance there is no reason to even contemplate purchasing one. There are no cards that can run the newest 2018 titles at 4k @ 60 fps. Vote with your wallet.

g-unit1111

Titan

Really? None? Do you have any proof of this?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Do not buy a 1000 series unless the price drops to a maximum of 40% of the MSRP, and do not buy a used card. Remember, a card used for mining will not last long. In order to keep costs down without giving up on stability, they do not take into account thermal considerations for passives surrounding the GPU and VRMs. This is why nvidia warns against using gaming cards for things like machine learning and other scientific purposes, as they are not designed around 24/7 heavy workloads.

Buying a used card will mean that you risk getting something that after a few months to a year+ of use, you will start to experience issues such as the card randomly having the screen become distorted/ checkerboard pattern distortions, or other issues.

Personally, I feel that the 1000 series is a lost cause, and any gamer buying one now will be sending the wrong message to the industry, as by purchasing any of them, you tell them that new generations of GPU can now have 2 lives, each running above or at MSRP, by simply limiting supply and targeting 1 market, then bring it back down to MSRP in an attempt to target another market where in the past, a card will come out, and within a year, it would drop to around 65% of its MSRP.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

At Computex, AMD claimed 2x performance / watt and 1.35x absolute performance increase, but didn't specify the workload. That could put it in striking distance of the GTX 1080 Ti, though not exactly leap-frogging as we'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.