Why GPU Pricing Is About to Drop Even Further

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanyac

Reputable

Even better... Why RAM prices have plummeted

I bought a 32GB F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB for $249. That same kit is now upwards of $800 depending on where you buy it. In comparison.. For $249 I can now get 16GB @ 2400mhz. Half the memory at 30% less performance...

But I don't think you are going to see RAM price drops until late 2019 possibly 2020.

Here in Australia, I'd be surprised if prices ever decrease more than 10% of what they currently are.

emeraldsmines1990

Proper
BANNED
Jul 5, 2018

Actually Nvidia can control it. by selling them direct . the same they sell the Titans Direct. not a big deal for them.

emeraldsmines1990

Proper
BANNED
Jul 5, 2018
Guys I find it "Funny" that the prices are lower now just a month or two before the new GEN is coming.

I am preordering the new GEN .. I will not wait one day I am sure the Prices will go up after one week.

chrisbryant

Reputable
Jul 4, 2018
As more GPU vendors look at viable product specifically targeted to cryptominers, pricing on GPU will likely come down. Some folks are coming up with creative alternatives to snatching up new GPU models, too, including subscriptions to large-scale farms and even sharing space on smaller communal farms. I'm seeing more and more rigs made up of dozens to hundreds of older used GPUs in lieu of snatching up the new models. The problem, of course, is the power efficiency of the newer models isn't there in the older/cheaper ones. So, while this decline is nice, vendors may have to make good on their talk of creating cryptomining hardware specifically for the community or we may see prices rise again.

By the way, crypto isn't the only game in town in terms of making $$ on GPU cycles so I wouldn't get too comfortable (this particular example excludes AMD and Windows for now, but the model looks viable for future ventures):

Rent out GPUs to AI researchers and make ~2x more than mining cryptocurrencies:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gpumining/comments/86ofw2/_/
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16663689

InvalidError

Titan

If there is a new wave of crypto demand, prices will rise regardless: GPUs for gaming and GPGPU come out of the same monthly wafer allocations and still use the same DRAM. If AIB vendors can get bigger margins on crypto, they'll place bigger orders for the crypto chips and allocate a larger chunk of the DRAM they can get their hands on on mining boards, which means less supply of GPU boards and higher retail prices due to reduced availability.

AMD and Nvidia are in business to earn as much return on their R&D investments as possible, which means they cannot cripple their products for the sake of pleasing people who want cheaper gaming cards. The only way prices on mainstream GPUs are going to come down and stay down is if the crypto bubble pops for good.

chrisbryant

Reputable
Jul 4, 2018

I hope that's not true because I believe mining in general is a model worth continuing, whether it is cryptocurrency or some other future digital asset. In fact, I strongly support distributed computing science as a solution for many current problems. However, I feel your point and propose there might be a solution other than the big guns selling overpriced hardware.

A really poor performing mining infrastructure right now is mobile-only. People are seeing about $2 a year on average, from some of the articles I've been following. But the right app with the right distributed computing algorithm could improve on that if people were willing to slice the pie differently. It's still super young, but I'd keep my eye on that and other alternatives in the hope the CPU/GPU markets can breathe again.

1_rick

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2014

That's cool, especially if you have a good enough card already.

On the other hand, I took the opportunity last month to replace my aging 650 ti boost--which also had a weird flaw where about 1/3 of the time, it crash my computer when waking up--with a 1050, and got a nice upgrade. (I got it on the cusp of the price drops, so I paid too much for it, but I didn't know then if prices were going to drop more, and got tired of waiting.

1_rick

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2014

Micro Center actually did this. When they had GPUs in stock, you'd see signs like "Price: 1-2, $699; 3 or more, $10,000") in front of the 1080s.

stdragon

Admirable

:) You just reminded me with one more reason as to why I like Micro Center.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
not sure if it's just Canada, or what, but next gen GPUs don't have any affect on previous gen prices. Sounds stupid, but when the 1080s came out, the 980s were still the same price, sometimes more.
I've also said this in the past. NVidia is really screwing up HUGE (and I know this will piss off a lot of others, and I have no interest in conflicting opinions, I'm just adding my 2cents and forgetting it. Too many arguments online). With the 'abundance' of the 10 series GPUs, and NVidia having to get rid of the stock, they should start pushing SLI. Most AAA games up to 3 years old and newer, still can't play in 4k at maxed settings on an SLI 1080ti rig, let alone a single card. And with 4k becoming more and more popular, and NVidia even coming out with their own 65" 4k G-sync displays, it makes a lot more sense to try and push SLI. Even to those that don't buy SLI, there are still some that do, and that's still extra sales. Even with games that don't 'officially' support SLI, there are easy work arounds with NVidia Profile Inspector that works on any game I've tried. And, again, wouldn't hurt NVidia to turn to the game developers that don't have proper support and give them help with it. It all goes back to being able to increase sales.

That... is a steaming pile of baloney. 1070 averages >60fps @1440p on Far Cry 5/high, Vermintide/extreme, PoE2/ultra, The Crew 2/high. So... 1080 even more. There are a couple of titles from 2018 that would have to go to medium at 1440p but your statement is just silly.

Jul 16, 2018
dang it! I had a 1080ti crap out after 6 months and while it is being repaired I bought a new one. Why couldn't it have gone 8 months?

alansavage38

Reputable
Apr 26, 2018
Well from looking at the prices of used cards on several market places the prices are still climbing, even gtx 6 series are selling for £100 in some cases, the 770/80's are hitting the above the £100 mark.

alansavage38

Reputable
Apr 26, 2018
prices are going up still in the used cards market..cannot believe I am seeing the 5 series starting to command £50, 7's £100, 9's £200 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.