Question Why has no one invented a router that could transfer files faster than 15 MB/s

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
It doesn't matter what settings I use. It doesn't matter if my laptop is 2 inches from the router. I have tried many routers, and my USB HD will not transfer faster than 15 MB/s. Its a brand new HDD. Its USB 3.0 rated for a top speed of 240 MB/s, If I plug it in directly into USB, I can sustain 50-100 MB/s. But when I put it on ANY router, and try to copy a file over wifi. It wont go faster than 15 MB/s. Some routers only get 6 MB/s. It can't be an issue with my internet connection because its a local file transfer. A couple of these routers I have tried are 250 dollar routers. I have also tried other USB hard drives as well.

All these routers are rated anywhere from 1-3Gbps, some are Tri-Band routers on 5GHz ac. Yet any router I try wont transfer files any faster than 15 MB/s. I tried an Ethernet NAS drive. Same thing. 15 MB/s MAX.

Why are all these companies telling us our routers can output 1-3Gbps but they can really only output up to 15MB/s

Last edited:
Why are all these companies telling us our routers can output 1-3Gbps but they can really only output up to 15MB/s
Marketing.

This must be the first time ever you ask this question, because it's vell known issue.

Anytime I have large amount of stuff to transfer and no patience to wait, I take out my 50 footer CAT6 cable and hookup PC to PC.

802.11ax (WIFI version 6) is coming but nothing, nothing beat ethernet.

Because there are massive number of idiots in the world that buy things based on emotion rather than be a informed consumer and researching things. This is true of almost all advertising you see. Maybe I am just too old and cynical that I assume everyone trying to sell me something is telling lies.

I think I need to start marketing a new GAMER ethernet cable that can run at 2gbit. I could put fancy gamer logo on it and charge 10 times the price.

Note all ethernet cables can run at 2gbit if you use the wifi method of stating speed. They can send 1gbit and receive 1gbit at the same time for a total of 2gbit. Unlike wifi they can actually sustain those speeds.

Jun 28, 2019
It doesn't matter what settings I use. It doesn't matter if my laptop is 2 inches from the router. I have tried many routers, and my USB HD will not transfer faster than 15 MB/s. Its a brand new HDD. Its USB 3.0 rated for a top speed of 240 MB/s, If I plug it in directly into USB, I can sustain 50-100 MB/s. But when I put it on ANY router, any try to copy a file over wifi. It wont go faster than 15 MB/s. Some routers only get 6 MB/s. It can't be an issue with my internet connection because its a local file transfer. A couple of these routers I have tried are 250 dollar routers. I have also tried other USB hard drives as well.

All these routers are rated from anyway from 1-3Gbps, some are Tri-Band routers on 5GHz ac. Yet any router I try wont transfer files any faster than 15 MB/s. I tried an Ethernet NAS drive. Same thing. 15 MB/s MAX.

I doubt it’s a WiFi issue. Test your WiFi transfer rate by transferring the same files from the hard drive instead of USB over WiFi. Sounds like an OS problem.

Ralston18

Titan
You mean a USB drive connected directly to the router's USB port - correct?

I have a 5 year old Linksys WRT1900AC router.

One of the first things I learned was that plugging a USB drive into the router's USB port reduced overall network performance. Tinkered with that problem off and on for a couple of years.

No more router firmware updates so just let the matter go. Use an Ethernet connected NAS for backups and file sharing when necessary.

Likewise per @jsmithepa I use a long ethernet cable from time to time for direct file transfers. Nothing like a 100' cable strung through the house.....

And (sharing some old and cynical sentiment with @bill001g) I am becoming less and less a fan of USB drives in general. Lots of promises made by the manufacturers but the end products are getting cheaper in price and cheaper in quality.

Jun 28, 2019

One of the first things I learned was that plugging a USB drive into the router's USB port reduced overall network performance. Tinkered with that problem off and on for a couple of years.

No more router firmware updates so just let the matter go. Use an Ethernet connected NAS for backups and file sharing when necessary.

Likewise per @jsmithepa I use a long ethernet cable from time to time for direct file transfers. Nothing like a 100' cable strung through the house.....

And (sharing some old and cynical sentiment with @bill001g) I am becoming less and less a fan of USB drives in general. Lots of promises made by the manufacturers but the end products are getting cheaper in price and cheaper in quality.
No. Copy the files from USB drive to your computer. Unplug the USB drive and try the transfer over the network from your hard drive instead of the USB drive.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010

I used an NAS before but it was full. Speed wasn't any different than USB. This USB drive is rated for a top speed of 240 MB/s. I can only get 11. Its silly, really

USAFRet

Titan
I used an NAS before but it was full. Speed wasn't any different than USB. This USB drive is rated for a top speed of 240 MB/s. I can only get 11. Its silly, really
The NAS being full is a whole different thing than 'speed'.

I have a Qnap NAS with about 30TB in or attached to it. It's just another device on the LAN.
'Speed" is not really an issue, if you use it for what it should be used for.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
The NAS being full is a whole different thing than 'speed'.

I have a Qnap NAS with about 30TB in or attached to it. It's just another device on the LAN.
'Speed" is not really an issue, if you use it for what it should be used for.

What I was trying to say was this: The NAS was full. That is - it ran out of space. I used up all the space on it. The disk was full. So I decide to buy a USB external to plug into the router. The USB was twice the size of the full NAS. The NAS transfer rate over wifi was no faster than the USB external hard disk plugged into the router.

Don't want to kick a dead horse, but it was (and probably still is) known "feature" of some routers slowing down when using their USB 3.0 port, some interference between and USB 3.0. Some vendors tried to solve this by moving USB 3.0 connector and circuit "away" from WiFi parts, like in the front of the router.

Check your NAS spec. There's good chance you can connect your USB 3.0 drive to the NAS box, and extend the storage. Or (if you're happy and knowledgable) take the drive out of the enclosure, and put it into the NAS.

But when I put it on ANY router, and try to copy a file over wifi. It wont go faster than 15 MB/s.
Here's your other glaring problem, somebody already touched on.

The USB port on ALL routers are "dumb down." When they say USB3 port, they are only saying "USB3 compatible" they are not making you any promise these USB3 ports are going to perform at max USB3 spec. Another marketing thing people fall for without more in-depth research.

With today's WIFI, no matter what u do, you are not going to get more than ~40 MBYTE sustained transfer speed. If you can live with something between 15 and 40, u must hook up you mass storage to something better than a router, a real NAS box, a PC and enable file sharing etc.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
Here's your other glaring problem, somebody already touched on.

The USB port on ALL routers are "dumb down." When they say USB3 port, they are only saying "USB3 compatible" they are not making you any promise these USB3 ports are going to perform at max USB3 spec. Another marketing thing people fall for without more in-depth research.

With today's WIFI, no matter what u do, you are not going to get more than ~40 MBYTE sustained transfer speed. If you can live with something between 15 and 40, u must hook up you mass storage to something better than a router, a real NAS box, a PC and enable file sharing etc.

I have a real NAS box. It wouldn't get more than 15MB/s over wifi, no matter what router I used

USAFRet

Titan
I have a real NAS box. It wouldn't get more than 15MB/s over wifi, no matter what router I used
Then it would appear you have other issues.

This, from my NAS box, through the router, to a very low end Asus Transformer, via WiFi.
Same room, 15 feet away, not direct line of sight, a single 7.3GB file.
zgS4E9f.png

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
Then it would appear you have other issues.

This, from my NAS box, through the router, to a very low end Asus Transformer, via WiFi.
Same room, 15 feet away, not direct line of sight, a single 7.3GB file.
zgS4E9f.png
Ya well good for you. Any router and any storage medium I have tried in my life has never done that. I've even tried expensive routers. You must have paid $15,000 for your router to achieve that. Even on an NAS, you should get a lot more than 33. What happened to the 1-3 Gbps these routers advertise?

USAFRet

Titan
Ya well good for you. Any router and any storage medium I have tried in my life has never done that. I've even tried expensive routers. You must have paid $15,000 for your router to achieve that. Even on an NAS, you should get a lot more than 33. What happened to the 1-3 Gbps these routers advertise?
The router is a $100 G1100 direct from Verizon.
https://www.amazon.com/Verizon-FiOS-Router-Updated-2019/dp/B07RWKZ88P

Wired via ethernet, it serves up the standard 1gbps, or 113MB/s.

You are confusing a couple of things, and have supped up the marketing numbers.

Advertised 1 gigabit WiFi is actually 500+500 = 1000. Magical marketing numbers.
So the most you'd see in a straight download is 500 megabits/sec.
Now...what you see in that little Windows transfer box is megabytes/sec.
Approx 8:1 ratio. 500/8 = 62.5megabytes/sec. In absolute perfect theoretical lab conditions.

Getting half of that in a random room on a low power 2 in 1 laptop is better than would be expected.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
The router is a $100 G1100 direct from Verizon.
https://www.amazon.com/Verizon-FiOS-Router-Updated-2019/dp/B07RWKZ88P

Wired via ethernet, it serves up the standard 1gbps, or 113MB/s.

You are confusing a couple of things, and have supped up the marketing numbers.

Advertised 1 gigabit WiFi is actually 500+500 = 1000. Magical marketing numbers.
So the most you'd see in a straight download is 500 megabits/sec.
Now...what you see in that little Windows transfer box is megabytes/sec.
Approx 8:1 ratio. 500/8 = 62.5megabytes/sec. In absolute perfect theoretical lab conditions.

Getting half of that in a random room on a low power 2 in 1 laptop is better than would be expected.

Lovely. How do I get my router to transfer files faster than 11MB/s from USB?

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
Your original post says USB HD, that's not a REAL NAS. Not getting your story straight.

So everybody here says you "should" be doing better than 15. You are not getting it, something u doing over there or not disclosing.

Ugggh. I have a real NAS and a USB. As I already said, the NAS got full and I replaced it with new one which is USB. Why can't I get north of 15 on either