Why have quality brand PSUs 6+2 with 6 wires? 6P = only 75W? 2x75W plus 75W PCI-E = 225W ("Ti"-cards = ~250W)

Tobias Claren

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
Hello.

I tried to run a gigabyte 980Ti PSU with 6Pin and 8Pin.
It seems, it need 2x 8pin. Why? Because 75W (PCI-E-Slot) + 8Pin with 150W and 6Pin with 75Pin is 300W. Enough for a ~250W Ti-card.

8Pin full wired, this is not self-evident (quality brand Enermax is using 6 wires for a 6+2-connector at his EPM400EWT).

Also Nividia says that's enough:
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980-ti/specifications
Quote: Supplementary Power Connectors: 6-pin + 8-pin

I could use a adapter from 6p to 8p.

The PSU in a other desktop PC is a Platimax EPM500AWT.
And this quality brand PSU has 2 "6+2" connectors with only 6 wires. Not 8P with 8 wires.
2x 75W, or not? Only 150W. Plus 75W from PCI-E = 225W. Right?
This was never a problem by using the 980Ti (especially for VR).
But 980Ti have a power consumption around 250W.

Opinions?
Thanks.

bignastyid

Titan
The reference design uses 1 8-pin and 1 6-pin but most of the aftermarket cards require 2 8-pin(because they use more power than the reference design). Sounds like what you really need is a new PSU. Using a generic/no name PSU is a very bad idea and one that has a good chance of leading to a damaged computer.

Tobias Claren

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
There is a double 4P, and I use one for CPU. Is there a adapter for the second (splitable) to use it with the 6Pin as a 8pin?
Is this to much power with a 6p-to-8p-adapter? 980Ti and 1080Ti, and I think 2080Ti have 250W.

bignastyid

Titan

Don't use adapters. Again what you need is a proper PSU. A decent 650w PSU will have the appropriate connections for either of those GPUs.

Tobias Claren

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
Oh this is a 650W PSU. Without these second 8Pin connector (for whatever reason).

Is this only a "no name vs. brand" thing, or technical reasons?
Because, a Platimax EPM500AWT (good and 8pin) has also only 6 wires per 8Pin connector. The 2 pins are detachable and connected with 2 pins from the 6pin block.
The 2pins from the 6+2Pin connector of the no name psu have separate wires to the psu. In theory, better, more wires.
If a quality brand is using only 6 wires for a 8pin, why should i not use a 6Pin with a adapter to 8 pin. It seems, this is the same (electric).

Not only 6P-to-8P exist, but also 2x Molex-to-8P.
I think I do not need molex for devices.
But also max. 6 wires because of the red 5V wires.

Tobias Claren

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
I have mentioned, that I have a PSU from the well known quality brand Enermax here!
But also a "no name". The no-name has a fully wired 8pin.
A Platimax EPM500AWT only 2x 6 + 2pin.

Hmmm, i could buy the brand Diablotek.....
This is a brand, it "must" be better ;)...

Why this aggression :( ?
I've noticed such behavior in forums before.
Do you feel insulted? "We" have perceived your reference.
Let it be good with that.

I think that's the brutalization of society.
A "nice" hint is OK. But it does not matter to anyone what PSU brand someone uses. Also using a No Name PSU is not a crime.
And if it is not used in the new PC, it will be used in another PC. For sure, it will not be disposed.

An anecdote:
I was in a forum. I asked for full ruggedized notebooks.
A forum user mentioned a semi-rugged notebook, and linked to an Ebay instant buy from a seller.
I thanked for the hint, told him this is only semi rugged, and asked for more types.
And now, this guy became very aggressive. Because I do not buy it! In his feeling, this was insulting him. Such behaviour is psychological ill.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what he is telling you is that the psu you have is not any good at all. it does not actually provide the power it claims to which is proven by the missing connections. they know it won't give the power, so they did not include the connection. you can daisy chain adapters all day but it won't all of a sudden make the power you need.

here is a QUALITY psu of 650w and look at the connections it has. it has 4 8-pin pcie connections.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/R7V48d/seasonic-power-supply-ssr650rm

that's because the psu is actually able to provide the power to them all. each 8-pin can provide 150w of power. so 4 of them is 600w of gpu power possible!!! the 650w psu shaped object you have with the single 6 and 8 pin is only able to provide 225w of pcie power. testing has shown that it can't actually even provide that!! that's the first way you know it is not any good. reviews of the product show plenty of other issues as well.

you came here asking for help because you know we have the right answers. we have read the reviews and studied the models and know what is good and not good. you can chose to not like the answer given but don't get mad because we won't just tell you what you want to hear. do yourself a favor and buy a power supply from a quality maker. your pc will thank you.

if you'd like help picking one, we are more than happy to help. just ask :)

again. adapter can change the look of a connection but they in no way create any new power. you can make a dozen 8-pin connections daisy chaining adapters but the psu will still only be able to provide the little bit of power it currently can. that's why they are ALWAYS a bad idea.

Tobias Claren

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
Hello.

Why specifically 650W? Is there a percentage with the best efficiency. For this ~350W system. "185%" (350W => 650W).
Only a Mini-ITX board (H110M-itx/ac), 2x8GB RAM, I5-6500, 256GB 840 Pro SSD, and perhaps a 3TB, 4TB, 5TB HDD.
The beQuiet power calculator says "348W".

Seasonic "SSR-650RM", wow, very rare ;-). Sounds good, but here (europe) $219,72 (193,70), only by Amazon.
And nothing used.

8Pin can provide 150W, OK. But for example, a Platimax EPM400AWT has 4x 6+2pin. And this is only 75W+75W (6+2 with 6 wires).
Why? This is a quality brand PSU. I had used this PSU in a desktop (i actually use for this text) since ~1 year, with VR-Gaming (Vive).
This was not a problem. But 6+2pin plus PCI-E is only 75W + 75W + 75W = 225W. And a Ti card has 250W power consumption...

The first topic theme/intention was only to use a Gigabyte 6GB 980Ti with 6P+8P.
That was not a purchase advice thread. Only "6p+8p = possible with Gigabyte 980Ti?".
Actually it is only a existing old ATX midi tower case.
But i will use a Mini-ITX case (ML08, ML07, "Dan Case A4" is expensive, and without grip). So I probably have to use an SFX PSU, if i will buy a psu.
Therefore, no purchase advice for standard ATX PSU :).
Maybe a used ATX PSU with 8p+8p (i will never use SLI, 4x8p is not mandatory), or with adapter.

Remember, the Brand Platimax EPM500AWT provides only 225W (or?) with 2x 6p+2p (4x 6p+2p at the PSU), and a no name has a full wired 8pin and 6pin. Mathematically, that sounds better.
It is "bad" No Name, but mathematically the 8Pin/150W + 6Pin/75W (with adapter to 8pin) + PCI-E/75W = 300W.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the math is only based on what the connection is supposed to provide. this does not mean it actually provides the power. the seasonic i linked was only an illustration of what a quality unit should provide at that power rating. i chose it because you specifically spoke about your 650w psu. so i compared it to another known quality unit to show one of the many ways it is not a good psu. electrical engineers take these units and tear them apart and look at the insides, after testing them for a ton of power delivery and other factors. they then publish the results for us to work from. the units you speak of are made from inferior internal parts, did not perform well in testing and lack the protections to keep the psu from frying your whole system when it decides to crap out on you.

you are trying to convince yourself that a very cheap psu is just as good as a quality one. this is just not true, and is why bignasty said what he said and walked away. we do this all the time and you are not the first person to try and convince us that some junk psu is actually a good one for whatever reason. none of us is going to convince you that the facts are what they are, since you already convinced yourself that you got a quality unit and can just buy a cheap adapter to somehow create power from thin air.

i offered to help chose a decent unit but you don't want such help. so i will also wish you all the best and hope somehow this works out well for you. there is a reason the quality units cost what they do and the junk no-name ones cost only a small portion of that price. they only deliver a small portion of what the real psu's do!!

my best wishes to you.

Tobias Claren

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
Of course. But also a 650W no name can provide 350W for the whole system and 250W maximum power consumption from the GPU.
That's a simple try. Stability test over possibly one hour.

I do not want to buy No Name!
I own No Name AND I have two Enermax PSUs here.
I could also test this no name PSUs.
Before I destroy them, I would sell them.
That is legitimate.

I have three pieces of this "cheap" PSU. 450W, 550W and 650W.
And this Enermax ELT400AWT.. "Very Cheap PSU"???
Is a Lincoln or Mercedes "cheap"?

And until I find a SFX CPU (I will use a Mini-ITX case, I think, i have to choose a SFX, or?), I can theoretically use a Enermax Platimax EPM400AWT (the graphics card 980Ti ran for over a year on this PSU.). "Very Cheap PSU".

This Seasonic PSU is also "cheap". Recently used on Ebay for $ 35.
But in the US, only one, and a starting price.

I am "trying" nothing! This topic was startet only as a "can I using this card with 6p+8p", NOT as a "Purchase advice theme!".
I did NOT plan to buy a PSU!
That would be nonsense. Because I have to buy SFX.

For my desired housing.
"Small", but for a large graphics card. And with handle.
Or a large case, but with covered ports (do not remove peripherals during transport) and storage space for things. Like a VR glasses, their cables, connection box, controller etc.
The simplest possible transport and setup of complete VR technology.

The insinuation of "trying" is offensive.
And Enermax (both) is not a "cheap PSU".