Question Why I am getting constant lag/stuttering without a visible reason?

Sep 14, 2020
I've never had problems, but one day it started and it hasn't stopped. There is no malware, and all temperatures in the GPU and CPU are okay. Also, the stuttering is more visible (harder) in DirectX games, I think. Not 100% sure. There is no stuttering/lag when doing a benchmark. As said before, never had this problems before.

Specs:

Windows 10 Home
Intel Xeon E5 2620 v2
AMD Radeon RX470 (Sapphire)
16GB RAM 1600 MHz
500W PSU

Nov 9, 2020
I will start with what I think solved my particular issue:
  1. Disabling NVIDIA Overlay in games. I should have known something was off with it before; it would make my mouse extremely lagging after games when it would pop up with my replays and make it almost impossible to close. I might try to do a fresh install of GeForce Experience and see if that fixes that issue, but for now, it works a lot better and doesn't seem to have a large spike of FPS drops in-game as much.
  2. BIOS Update. This is one people commonly suggest. This was a problem many years ago I had when I was much less technologically inclined than I am today. I had never updated my BIOS after I built my system for a whole year after I made it. I had never owned a gaming computer before so I just thought random frame drops in Rocket League were normal. Along with several other issues I had, I felt pretty dumb after I fixed it. Regardless, I was happier with my setup.
  3. Chipset drivers. I had never updated my chipset drivers either. My AMD 2700x seemed like it was slightly underperforming out of the box and wasn't sure why. I did a User Benchmark before and after and the results were slightly better. I am not sure if this had anything to do with remedying my stuttering or not since this was done alongside me disabling NVIDIA overlay.
  4. Graphics card drivers. This might seem like an obvious one to a lot of you guys but as a noobie trying to troubleshoot back in the day, I knew very little and this definitely was forgotten a few times until I wondered to myself why my games were sucking more than usual.
  5. Windows OS corrupt files. I have seen a few instances of corrupt operating system files causing performance decreases in games, or even just general weird bugs in windows. A few of my games would randomly crash and one of my friends suggested checking my system files. You can run a command through command prompt called sfc /scannow. This has pulled corrupt windows files on a few occasions for me and has fixed them. You will have to run command prompt by searching for it in windows search bar, right click on it and hit run as administrator, type the command above and it should take about 5 minutes or so. Alternatively, you can go to your file explorer and check all your drives independently. Go to "This PC," right-click on the drive you want, click on the Tools tab, then click the "Check" option under "Error Checking." Any drive that does not contain the OS Windows will tell you that it doesn't need to check it but it honestly doesn't hurt.
  6. Windows "Game Mode" This might be a big one. I might be wrong, but I think this is set to on by default. According to Techspot, this is a pretty substantial one and could be your golden ticket to better FPS... who knows? Try disabling by searching for Game Mode in Windows search bar.
  7. HAGS or Hardware accelerated GPU Scheduling This setting can also be found on the same page as "Game Mode." This setting may or may not help but it seems to be on a case by case basis. It's a newer feature in the NVIDIA driver update. From what I have read online It may help gaming performance in CPU bound situations.
  8. Windows 10 Power Plan This one might be less about fixing stuttering and more about getting better performance. Under "Power Options" you can change your system's power options. Go to your systems "Power and Sleep" settings and on the right side click "Additional power settings." Choose "Ultimate Performance." (would not recommend if on a gaming laptop)
  9. Disabling Dynamic Tick A number of user's have been helped by this one and it seems generally a safe bet to help with stuttering frame rates. Right-click the Start menu and select Command Prompt (Admin). First, enter bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes and press Enter. Then input bcdedit /set useplatformclock true in the Command Prompt, and press the Enter key. Thereafter, enter bcdedit /set tscsyncpolicy Enhanced in the Prompt and press Enter. Close the Command Prompt window and restart the system.