[SOLVED] Why i can reach my max OC with or without voltage increase? GTX 1070

sinanokatata

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
Hello,

Today i overclocked my Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming.
I have read a lot about max out the voltage slider wont harm your card.
So i max out the voltage and power slider in afterburner. And slowly increased the GPU and memory clocks.
Seems like +120 mhz core and +650 mhz memory is working stable both in furmark and in-game benchmarks. i've gained around +8-9 fps.
Than i wonder what happens if i revert the voltage to it's default value and reduced the voltage to stock value but i kept all the other settings. I've benchmarked again and got no crashes at all. (voltage demand was little bit higher when i benchmark with voltage increase)

My question is should i increase the voltage or not in this situation?
I always thought i needed to increase the voltage to reach max amount of OC.
Since it's not crashing with or without voltage increase, than what is the difference? (it crashes if i OC more with or without voltage)

Here is my tweaks; (you can also check screenshot)
Core Voltage (%) : +100
Power Limit (%): +111
Temp Limit: 85
Core Clock: +120 mhz
Memory Clock: +650 mhz

Thanks,

Solution
My guess would be thermal headroom.
That gpu is temperature sensitive - when you raise the voltage, you are telling the gpu that it can request more voltage for a higher boost clock. It doesn't increase voltage that much though.
At least, on my 1080Ti it doesn't. Max voltage on default is 1050mv vs 1075mv on maxed out voltage slider. Still, it's enough to demand stronger cooling.

So, if the gpu already runs fairly cool, users can benefit from the raised voltage. If the gpu instead runs fairly warm already, voltage is best left alone.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My guess would be thermal headroom.
That gpu is temperature sensitive - when you raise the voltage, you are telling the gpu that it can request more voltage for a higher boost clock. It doesn't increase voltage that much though.
At least, on my 1080Ti it doesn't. Max voltage on default is 1050mv vs 1075mv on maxed out voltage slider. Still, it's enough to demand stronger cooling.

So, if the gpu already runs fairly cool, users can benefit from the raised voltage. If the gpu instead runs fairly warm already, voltage is best left alone.

Solution

sinanokatata

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
You have a point.

I get around 62C with the maxed out voltage slider. And around 60C without voltage. Seems like they are ok. Fan is silent enough for me in both options.

So if i increase the voltage it will be an advantage right?
I still don't get the idea why i can achieve the max overclock rate with or without increased voltage. (sorry i am very beginner for overclocking)
And do you think this is a good overclock?

Thanks

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I still don't get the idea why i can achieve the max overclock rate with or without increased voltage.
Are you sure that's the max though?

It's all silicon lottery though. Settings that work with one person's gpu may not work with another's, and so on.

And do you think this is a good overclock?
I can't really say. You'd have to compare to other 1070 users.
+120 core isn't stable at all on my 1080Ti - heck, not even +100 is, but that gpu doesn't OC to the same manner as a 1070 does either.