[SOLVED] why i get disconnected when playing online games ,but when i use vpn it works fine

alexy811

Reputable
Sep 18, 2018
so this mainly happens in planetside 2 .
Within 2-20~min into the session, all game assets would float into a set direction while looping their final action, (Players, vehicles), and after a couple of minutes, I would get disconnected from the server with a "Disconnected" message.
But when i turn vpn on the game runs fine with no DC . is there a reason for this?

Solution
This is going to be hard to find since it is hard to say where exactly it is being disconnected.

I assume you are running a client based vpn ?.....ie you are not running vpn on the router.

This hides the game sessions from the router and from your ISP. It could be a timeout issue in the router. I would check the firmware level and upgrade it and maybe you get lucky. It could also be some issue in the path between your ISP and the game company ISP which will be different than the path it takes with a vpn.

This is going to be hard to troubleshoot unless you can find a way to see the failure with testing commands. I would first try leaving a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 to see if you get a outage. You can also try a...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What OS are you working with? If Windows 10, mention the version of the OS. What is the make and model of your networking adapter? Wired or wireless? Does the issue crop up when using Ethernet?

alexy811

Reputable
Sep 18, 2018
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What OS are you working with? If Windows 10, mention the version of the OS. What is the make and model of your networking adapter? Wired or wireless? Does the issue crop up when using Ethernet?
hi ,thank you.
iam running windows 10 version 20H2 and OS build 19042.1237.
about the model of networking adapter , do you mean modem or router?
and yea the computer is connected with a wire to the router.

This is going to be hard to find since it is hard to say where exactly it is being disconnected.

I assume you are running a client based vpn ?.....ie you are not running vpn on the router.

This hides the game sessions from the router and from your ISP. It could be a timeout issue in the router. I would check the firmware level and upgrade it and maybe you get lucky. It could also be some issue in the path between your ISP and the game company ISP which will be different than the path it takes with a vpn.

This is going to be hard to troubleshoot unless you can find a way to see the failure with testing commands. I would first try leaving a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 to see if you get a outage. You can also try a constant ping to the IP of the game server. Some of these servers will not respond to ping.

What you are hoping to see is if you get data loss that occurs at the same time the game disconnects.

The brute force method that might give you a clue but is not simple for a new person is to use wireshark to capture the actual data stream. You should be able to see which end is disconnecting the session, ie does your machine send data and get no response or does it get a close message from the server. Games make it even harder because many use encrypted data streams and do not use UDP rather than TCP.

Solution

alexy811

Reputable
Sep 18, 2018

This is going to be hard to troubleshoot unless you can find a way to see the failure with testing commands. I would first try leaving a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 to see if you get a outage. You can also try a constant ping to the IP of the game server. Some of these servers will not respond to ping.

What you are hoping to see is if you get data loss that occurs at the same time the game disconnects.

The brute force method that might give you a clue but is not simple for a new person is to use wireshark to capture the actual data stream. You should be able to see which end is disconnecting the session, ie does your machine send data and get no response or does it get a close message from the server. Games make it even harder because many use encrypted data streams and do not use UDP rather than TCP.
ok so i tried playing with the constant ping run on 8.8.8.8 and the game did it agian after 30 min or so and no packet loss.
and what do you mean by checking the firmware level ,what should i look for? what specifications?

If the game detects a problem but the ping command does not it means it is not like a network issue.

Now I guess there could be some issue going between your ISP and the game company ISP that is different than going between your ISP and google. Not sure how you could ever get that fixed if it was the problem.

This means it is not likely any problem with your equipment. Many routers have the ability to check the firmware just by clicking a button. This is likely not going to fix anything because a problem would likely also affect the ping to 8.8.8.8.

This act more like there is some problem with the game code. You would need someone that knows how to debug the connections to the game server and know what causes that error.