Question Why Intel GPU hits 100% and makes drops?

Oct 23, 2020
Hi everyone!

After changing the thermal paste of my notebook , I noticed some little but very annoying drops.

I'm working on Adobe Premiere Pro , I know that maybe my computer is not too powerful to work with this software , but before this process I didn't faced with situation like that. Even in surfing in Facebook on browser , GPU hits some high levels and it makes drops. And frame on the screen is frozing and I can't do anything for a 20-30 seconds and it repeats approximately every 5 mins.

Can anyone help me to solve this problem?

P.S - My computer is :

Asus K556U ; i7-7; Nvidia 930MX; RAM - 12 ; SSD - 480 Kingston.

P.S.S - I changed thermal paste second time with high-quality one and still drops. ( I use computer in "maximum performance plan" , I added Premiere Pro & browser to "Maximum performance" in Graphic settings and Nvidia Settings)

Last edited:

iiSlashr

Prominent
Mar 10, 2019
Does the CPU spike or the GPU? If the GPU's spiking that's normal. Video editing uses it heavily. You probably can't do it comfortably with a weak one like that.

Flamebrander

Upstanding
Aug 1, 2020
Everything here seems normal as far as I can see. Those spikes are just normal processes ending, so the gpu no longer has to process anything. Additionally, if something is abnormal and I just didn't see it, check if it is thermal throttling. Download a monitoring software, and check thermals. Generally, anything above 75 is abnormally high, although for a laptop it would be around 90 for abnormal thermals.

Oct 23, 2020
Does the CPU spike or the GPU? If the GPU's spiking that's normal. Video editing uses it heavily. You probably can't do it comfortably with a weak one like that.
CPU also spikes sometimes but it doesn't make any drops as GPU does it. As I mentioned , it happens not only when I editing but surfing in social media also. I think it doesn't make any sense, does it?

Oct 23, 2020
Everything here seems normal as far as I can see. Those spikes are just normal processes ending, so the gpu no longer has to process anything. Additionally, if something is abnormal and I just didn't see it, check if it is thermal throttling. Download a monitoring software, and check thermals. Generally, anything above 75 is abnormally high, although for a laptop it would be around 90 for abnormal thermals.
If it only happens when I editing videos , I would be okay with that. But drops when I use ordinary websites like Facebook, It really disturbs me ...
I did monitoring and everything seems cool. Don't know what to do literally

Oct 23, 2020
If you didn't see them in task manager, would you care about it?
Of course , frame on the screen is frozing and I can't do anything for a 20-30 seconds and it repeats approximately every 20 mins.
The problem is , before the thermal paste changing process , I didn't have this kind of issues .

Oct 23, 2020
Don't know if it helps , but when I changed thermal paste , I also wanted to change mic/headphone input because of not working. Computer technician said he should change that part with the help of another donor motherboard. Now I don't have that little input part , he's searching for donor motherboard to take this part from that one and put in mine.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS