Question Why is 8.1GB of my RAM reserved for hardware ?

Revenant9930

Reputable
Aug 14, 2019
Hello,
so first things first here are my pc specs:

-ASRock B450M Pro4 BIOS version p3.30 (05/10/2019)
-AMD Ryzen 3 1300X 4x 3.40GHz
-Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
-Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR 3200MHz ( did OC it on BIOS settings to 3200Mhz, was first set to 2133Mhz)
-120GB Kingston SSDNow M.2 2280 SATA
-500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 10 Non-Modular 80+ Silver
-1000GB Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010

So my task manager shows that 8.1 GB of my RAM is reserved for hardware ?
View: https://imgur.com/a/aMGu8h7

View: https://imgur.com/vkERxST

I checked in my BIOS setting it says Single Channel Memory but in CPU-Z it says dual
View: https://imgur.com/YVXkVoX

I've tried using single ram on all slots one by one there was no problem. (tried with both ram separately).
What could be causing this issue and what are the possible solutions to it?
Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
P.S. I would not update my BIOS for now. if the only solution left is by updating it i'll just let this problem be.

Hello,
so first things first here are my pc specs:

-ASRock B450M Pro4 BIOS version p3.30 (05/10/2019)
-AMD Ryzen 3 1300X 4x 3.40GHz
-Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
-Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR 3200MHz ( did OC it on BIOS settings to 3200Mhz, was first set to 2133Mhz)
-120GB Kingston SSDNow M.2 2280 SATA
-500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 10 Non-Modular 80+ Silver
-1000GB Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010

So my task manager shows that 8.1 GB of my RAM is reserved for hardware ?
View: https://imgur.com/a/aMGu8h7

View: https://imgur.com/vkERxST

I checked in my BIOS setting it says Single Channel Memory but in CPU-Z it says dual
View: https://imgur.com/YVXkVoX

I've tried using single ram on all slots one by one there was no problem. (tried with both ram separately).
What could be causing this issue and what are the possible solutions to it?
Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
P.S. I would not update my BIOS for now. if the only solution left is by updating it i'll just let this problem be.
Set the ram speed back to 2133.
Does that fix the problem?

Revenant9930

Reputable
Aug 14, 2019
so a little update to this. I've been googling about this and it seems it's quite a common problem. I checked the maximum memory option on the memory used on boot and it's unchecked the whole time. I tried optimizing the virtual memory and still didn't work. I tried remapping the memory but I don't find the option in bios and the manual too. Is it possible that my RAM is just not compatible with my motherboard? Or the placement configuration is wrong? I used A2 and B2 on default, tried swapping to A1 and B1 but still didn't work :(.

so a little update to this. I've been googling about this and it seems it's quite a common problem. I checked the maximum memory option on the memory used on boot and it's unchecked the whole time. I tried optimizing the virtual memory and still didn't work. I tried remapping the memory but I don't find the option in bios and the manual too. Is it possible that my RAM is just not compatible with my motherboard? Or the placement configuration is wrong? I used A2 and B2 on default, tried swapping to A1 and B1 but still didn't work :(.
Did this ram come as a kit of 2 or 2 separate sticks?

Revenant9930

Reputable
Aug 14, 2019
You may have some defective RAM even though your PC is reporting the correct amount installed.
So I would run memtest on each of your RAM sticks.
ill try running memtest and see.
The fix for this may be a simple bios update.
Your call if you want to do that.
I prefer not to because the manufacturer doesn't recommend updating to the newer version for summit ridge CPUs. And my last experience with updating bios is terrible.. my pc won't boot after, contacted the manufacturer and it doesn't fix anything. I ended up having to buy a new mobo. And after installing the new mobo I still have some issues because of the old bios updater.
Try switch ram around. Whilst troubleshooting ram one at a time it's 50/50 chance the same ram returned back to the same slots.

Xmp sets dram voltage to 1.35v? Might try command rate 2T, in the timings menu.
I did put the ram on each slot 1 by 1 and it boots without a problem. Yes, XMP sets the voltage to 1.35v because I changed speed to 3200 Mhz in bios settings. But idk why it shows 2133 Mhz in the task manager. I'll try changing it to T2 but I'm currently not sure how.

Revenant9930

Reputable
Aug 14, 2019
I meant a2 and b2, switch both ram around.
did and didn't work.

When I'm changing the settings of my ram like speed, command rate, or XMP profile in bios, nothing changed when I looked in CPU-Z. So I checked the QVL of my mobo and my ram isn't there. A friend of mine has the same problem like me too and his ram is also isn't in the QVL of the mobo that he has. From this, I would say that it's a compatibility issue. what do you people think? I sadly don't have another RAM to test this out.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Qvl doesn't mean much. Sure, there's a list of kits tested at that point in time but doesn't mean new release ram there after or ram they didn't have time to test won't be compatible. Besides, they run, just not in dual channel.

Cpu pins + bios version can play a role in memory issues. I would ponder the latter since all dimms do work. Though, it's still possible there is a bent pin.

What has your friend tried to troubleshoot, same as you?

Does your friend live close? Swap ram?

Revenant9930

Reputable
Aug 14, 2019
Qvl doesn't mean much. Sure, there's a list of kits tested at that point in time but doesn't mean new release ram there after or ram they didn't have time to test won't be compatible. Besides, they run, just not in dual channel.

Cpu pins + bios version can play a role in memory issues. I would ponder the latter since all dimms do work. Though, it's still possible there is a bent pin.

What has your friend tried to troubleshoot, same as you?

Does your friend live close? Swap ram?
hmm ok, my rams run in single-channel atm too. I don't really know if he troubleshoots anything but I just know he has the exact same problem. Ye I'm planning to try swap rams if it's possible but we don't live that close. I checked CPU pins already and as far as I see no bent pins.

Nov 25, 2021
I have a similar issue for me i have 16gb Ram but only 8gb useable
Looks to be related to my CPU, because when i change it to my old one i get very low hardware reserved
I'm really surprised no one has found a full solution to this problem.