Question Why is CPU (pretty sure) stuttering while gaming?

Uncle_Bucky778

Prominent
Apr 10, 2022
To simply put this issue into words, my CPU usage is high while gaming, when it spikes my GPU drops by like 10%. When I first got my PC months ago it did not have this issue, but when playing games and I get to a point in the map where textures load in, my FPS is high, GPU is fine but my CPU is acting weird. Anyone got any ideas?

Specs:

RYZEN 5 2600

GTX 1650

(16 GB ram, SSD)

PS: This issue is NOT a graphical issue, I get these stutters/drops at ANY graphics setting. (I could cap it at 30 FPS or at 200+ FPS and it still happens).
View: https://youtu.be/mvLP931ngWI

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Please state the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing? If you're on Windows 10, please state the version(not edition) of the OS.

Uncle_Bucky778

Prominent
Apr 10, 2022
This is the PC, I got it about 5 months ago. https://lytetechnology.com/product/lyte-carbon/

I installed a WiFi card, exchanged the RAM to Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3200MHz (dual channel), got a different case due to the companies shortages (the one I got has better cooling than the one shown). My monitor is a GIGABYTE M27Q 27" 170 Hz monitor. I am unaware of the BIOS version, and I am fully up to date on Windows 10 currently.

brawnyryan

Reputable
Oct 21, 2018
If you exhaust all your options it couldn't hurt to reseat your cpu, make sure all your connections are solid, make sure nothing is clogged up with dust, make sure all your drivers are up to date and said driver version is stable, make sure all your temps are normal. UserBenchmark couldn't hurt. Make sure your cpu fan is plugged in and working properly.

Uncle_Bucky778

Prominent
Apr 10, 2022
Do you have the games on that nvme drive?
GPU usage dropping when textures load is normal since the GPU can't do two things at the same time, when it loads textures it stops doing anything else.
No, I have a HDD that also came with the PC, and I thought that was the issue, so I bought an external Seagate 500GB SSD. I've tried both and had the same results.

Last edited:

Uncle_Bucky778

Prominent
Apr 10, 2022
If you exhaust all your options it couldn't hurt to reseat your cpu, make sure all your connections are solid, make sure nothing is clogged up with dust, make sure all your drivers are up to date and said driver version is stable, make sure all your temps are normal. UserBenchmark couldn't hurt. Make sure your cpu fan is plugged in and working properly.
I would be too afraid to attempt this. Temps and fan are fine however, runs at a solid 55-70 °C (70 when running a very demanding game) and there is not much visual dust on it. I also did update my chipset.

brawnyryan

Reputable
Oct 21, 2018
have you reinstalled windows recently? if you have make sure you reinstalled windows from a external drive (flashdrive). So basically my advice would be to do a complete reinstall of windows. Use windows media creation tool to make a bootable flashdrive. Install the new version of windows. Install all the new drivers you need (I use driver booster 9) and then go download the latest stable chipset for your ryzen 5 2600. Run Userbenchmark. You can see where your components fall in line in terms of preference to the median performance. Say you run userbenchmark because say your cpu is in the 10th percentile that means something is wrong you you have some more information to go off of. I had lots of trouble swapping ryzen cpu's between mobos and it was ultimately the fact that I wasn't booting windows from a flashdrive.

summary:
reinstall windows and install drivers and latest stable chipset
run userbench mark
before you do all this figure out what BIOS version you are running on your motherboard (if you don't know how to find this look up a youtube video) and
search if there are any known issues with your current bios version and your cpu.

**also couldn't hurt to do a drive health check after your installation of windows.