Why is CPU-z showing low core speed?

stefan37

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
I have an Intel i5 3570k processor, and CPU-z only show core speed on 1600 mhz. I'm worried because I have had like 5-6 power failures in last 2 hours and 30 minutes. I've always unplugged the machine from the power when the failures happened. So is my CPU damaged or something?

Im not to informative on intel cpus as in their features etc, but is there a power saving feature that automatically down clocks the cpu? i know amd does to like 800mhz when not under load, if the feature is turned on. Also i would that multiple power failures in a small time period where the pc turned off and where u think it could be damaged, that it would just be fried and not be turning on, and since its still turning on id assume its not damaged

Crackadamus

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Yeah, lazyboy is right. The CPU is just down-clocking itself to save power. You can turn this feature off in the BIOS/UEFI but there isn't really much point in doing so in my opinion.

Well not all amd cpus go down to 800mhz and not all intel cpuz go down to 1.6ghz but it is a similar feature. They downclock when idle to save power. Perfectly normal and does not affect performance.

stefan37

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
So my PC is not damaged? Btw my specs are i5 3570k, msi 7870 twin frozr, seasonic 650am, seagate barracuda 1tb, gigagbyte z77x ud3h.

It is fine. A pc does not downclock from being damaged. If it is damaged you will get a bsod or it won't turn on. You have a good psu, it'll protect it from really anything but a direct lightning strike.

stefan37

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

Thanks man you have really saved me from stress!