[SOLVED] Why is my 2080ti performing so poorly?

Mar 12, 2020
Ran the total war warhammer 2 benchmark and got 20 FPS lower than my friend who has a 2070 super OC same CPU and less RAM, Built in November, no temp issue's, any idea's why, did i just get unlucky with the silicon?

Solution
Ok. That's a more accurate representation of the gpu's performance in game. As already mentioned earlier, gpu boost clocks are affected by temps.
59 and 73C is pretty darn significant, as far as gpu boost clocks are concerned - 20 series is temperature sensitive. I wouldn't be surprised if your 2080Ti dropped over 100mhz between those 2 numbers.
My 1080Ti drops like 50mhz between 55 and 60C; 2000 down to 1947mhz.

Hmm...
What I think I'm seeing here:
-You both have the same cpu, but you have a 1080p 144, and they have 1080p 60. Even though you have the stronger cooler, I would not be surprised if your bud's 3900X is boosting higher than yours.
60hz does not require as much cpu muscle as 144hz, so theirs is likely hitting the 4.6ghz max...
Mar 12, 2020
What are your PC specs? What is your friends PC specs?

Me:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
Cooler: Corsair h115i
GPU: Asus Dual RTX 2080ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x 16GB) 3200MHz DDR4
SSD: 500GB Samsung 980 evo (boot) M.2
SSD: 1TB Corsair MP600 M.2
HDD: WD Black 4TB
MOBO: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
PSU: Corsair HX1000

Friend:

cpu: ryzen 9 3900x
gpu: rtx 2070 super overclocked
psu: 850x corsair
m.2 drive: 1tb SSD
mobo: Asus Prime 470x Pro
ram: 2x8gb ddr4 2666Mhz

Mar 12, 2020
Don't think so however do you think that could actually result in a 20 fps diff between 2 relatively different cards? If so fair enough i tweaked some settings on nvidia panel for tarkov only, don't think that should have effected anything tho

Don't think so however do you think that could actually result in a 20 fps diff between 2 relatively different cards? If so fair enough i tweaked some settings on nvidia panel for tarkov only, don't think that should have effected anything tho
If you only set the setting for tarkov it shouldn't have an effect. What's your 3DMark Time Spy Graphics score? It should be around 13500 for a non OCed 2080 Ti. I get 16200 OCed.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The userbenchmark result only tells part of the story.

Another 2080Ti at 1080p scenario. You really shot yourself in the foot with that one... Moving on~!

Can you post or answer the following:
-What's your buddy's cpu cooler?
One of the downsides of liquid coolers is their longer 'warm up' times; takes like an hour for temps to settle, whereas it's just 15 minutes on an air cooler. If your bud is using a high end air cooler, he probably gets better temps within the first hour, at least.

-Because of the above, this next one may be unfair for you: What's your average cpu turbo clock in game? Ditto for your bud.
Since you're both using the same cpu, the one that runs cooler will boost higher, at least on stock settings.

-How hot does your gpu get in game? Ditto for your bud.
Same deal with the cpus here. The cooler it runs, the higher it'll boost - sans power limits, at least.

-Both motherboards have their drivers up to date? SATA, chipset, LAN, etc?

-Gpu drivers are up to date, with or without Geforce Experience on both?
Without it would be better, as the program doesn't always have the user's best interests in mind. Display Driver Uninstaller can be used to remove the current driver, and then you can reinstall it without GE.

Mar 12, 2020
The userbenchmark result only tells part of the story.

Another 2080Ti at 1080p scenario. You really shot yourself in the foot with that one... Moving on~!

Can you post or answer the following:
-What's your buddy's cpu cooler?
One of the downsides of liquid coolers is their longer 'warm up' times; takes like an hour for temps to settle, whereas it's just 15 minutes on an air cooler. If your bud is using a high end air cooler, he probably gets better temps within the first hour, at least.

-Because of the above, this next one may be unfair for you: What's your average cpu turbo clock in game? Ditto for your bud.
Since you're both using the same cpu, the one that runs cooler will boost higher, at least on stock settings.

-How hot does your gpu get in game? Ditto for your bud.
Same deal with the cpus here. The cooler it runs, the higher it'll boost - sans power limits, at least.

-Both motherboards have their drivers up to date? SATA, chipset, LAN, etc?

-Gpu drivers are up to date, with or without Geforce Experience on both?
Without it would be better, as the program doesn't always have the user's best interests in mind. Display Driver Uninstaller can be used to remove the current driver, and then you can reinstall it without GE.

Ye ik 2080ti is against the geneva convention with how much overkill it is, but flex, at least its 144hz and not 60hz (and looking into a 144hz 1440p monitor to upgrade to)

My CPU temps i would assume to be lower as atm he didn't have the budget so only has stock cooler.

Average CPU clock - not surem, from memory around 3900-4000 Mhz but would have to check didn't look, just saw temps from 55 - 60

For GPU just to give it the best possible result i put fans on 100% locked for the test and maxed out at 59

Thank for for saying about mobo as new update came out literally 10 days ago , will do later today and update you guys(https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Hero/HelpDesk_Download/ )

Both our drivers are up to date WITH GE

Thanks for everyones help with this :)

Mar 12, 2020
Ye ik 2080ti is against the geneva convention with how much overkill it is, but flex, at least its 144hz and not 60hz (and looking into a 144hz 1440p monitor to upgrade to)

My CPU temps i would assume to be lower as atm he didn't have the budget so only has stock cooler.

Average CPU clock - not surem, from memory around 3900-4000 Mhz but would have to check didn't look, just saw temps from 55 - 60

For GPU just to give it the best possible result i put fans on 100% locked for the test and maxed out at 59

Thank for for saying about mobo as new update came out literally 10 days ago , will do later today and update you guys(https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Hero/HelpDesk_Download/ )

Both our drivers are up to date WITH GE

Thanks for everyones help with this :)

Update on CPU clock, seems to be around 4200 - 43xx on most cores

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ye ik 2080ti is against the geneva convention with how much overkill it is, but flex, at least its 144hz and not 60hz
Ok... so you currently have a 1080p 144, and they have a 1080p 60 screen?
Monitor upgrade aside - your current one is 144hz, but you still paid a crap-ton more for a gpu that's maybe 15% faster than the 2070 Super at 1080p - it's going to depend on the speed of the cpu.

Ok, but what about his average cpu clock speeds?

Hey now, that's manipulating the results. You don't normally run the gpu fans like that...

Mar 12, 2020
Ok... so you currently have a 1080p 144, and they have a 1080p 60 screen?
Monitor upgrade aside - your current one is 144hz, but you still paid a crap-ton more for a gpu that's maybe 15% faster than the 2070 Super at 1080p - it's going to depend on the speed of the cpu.

Ok, but what about his average cpu clock speeds?

Hey now, that's manipulating the results. You don't normally run the gpu fans like that...

Cant speak for his clock speeds didn't ask and im away atm.

Ik the GPU fans don't usually run that way but i did it to ensure it wasnt the limiting factor and it wasn't what was making a difference

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok. That's a more accurate representation of the gpu's performance in game. As already mentioned earlier, gpu boost clocks are affected by temps.
59 and 73C is pretty darn significant, as far as gpu boost clocks are concerned - 20 series is temperature sensitive. I wouldn't be surprised if your 2080Ti dropped over 100mhz between those 2 numbers.

Hmm...
-You both have the same cpu, but you have a 1080p 144, and they have 1080p 60. Even though you have the stronger cooler, I would not be surprised if your bud's 3900X is boosting higher than yours.
60hz does not require as much cpu muscle as 144hz, so theirs is likely hitting the 4.6ghz max boost clock more often.

-You should have an edge simply due to the number of cuda cores the 2080Ti(4352) has over the 2070 Super(2560). And no, the cuda cores doesn't automatically equate to 70% more performance...
At just 1080p, it's rough getting that gpu to really flex it's muscle; no cpu available can really handle it at that resolution.
You might even need to set an fps cap to balance things out - you can't let that gpu run willy-nilly, or the active cpu threads get bogged down trying to throw out as many frames as they can so the gpu doesn't idle from total boredom.
1080p 144, the 2070 Super rules. Higher than that yields some major diminishing returns.

I know, I know - Geneva Convention, but I keep bringing it up, because you are but one of surprisingly many that has gone this route, and before long, comes here or to another tech site wondering why things aren't performing as expected.
People also get 9900K + 2080Ti for 1080p 240... what they don't seem to get is that it's more cpu intensive than anything; such a waste to get a ~1200USD gpu only to run it a 1080p low to min-max fps and unwittingly throwing all that work on the cpu...

-You should also have a slight edge over him from memory speeds as well, but the impact doesn't appear to be as much as the other 2.

Solution
Mar 12, 2020

Hmm...
60hz does not require as much cpu muscle as 144hz, so theirs is likely hitting the 4.6ghz max boost clock more often.

-You should have an edge simply due to the number of cuda cores the 2080Ti(4352) has over the 2070 Super(2560). And no, the cuda cores doesn't automatically equate to 70% more performance...
At just 1080p, it's rough getting that gpu to really flex it's muscle; no cpu available can really handle it at that resolution.
You might even need to set an fps cap to balance things out - you can't let that gpu run willy-nilly, or the active cpu threads get bogged down trying to throw out as many frames as they can so the gpu doesn't idle from total boredom.
1080p 144, the 2070 Super rules. Higher than that yields some major diminishing returns.

I know, I know - Geneva Convention, but I keep bringing it up, because you are but one of surprisingly many that has gone this route, and before long, comes here or to another tech site wondering why things aren't performing as expected.
People also get 9900K + 2080Ti for 1080p 240... what they don't seem to get is that it's more cpu intensive than anything; such a waste to get a ~1200USD gpu only to run it a 1080p low to min-max fps and unwittingly throwing all that work on the cpu...

-You should also have a slight edge over him from memory speeds as well, but the impact doesn't appear to be as much as the other 2.
Sound tyvm for the info i know cuda cores arent 1-1 performance. As bad as it sounds do you think i would get more fps at a higher res