[SOLVED] Why is my 3070 struggling with AC Valhalla?!

Apr 23, 2020
I don't get it, I'm using the recommended settings and I'm getting a TON of stuttering!

Playing at 1440p
Mostly High-Ultra default settings

PC:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x (Cooled by Cooler Master AIO)
RAM: 32GB 3200 16-18-18-38
GPU: 3070 FE
Storage: Game files are on an Nvme SSD
Board: x470 Gaming Pro Carbon
PSU: CORSAIR CX750 750W ATX12V Model 75-001447

Any help GREATLY appreciated!!

Solution
Try this:

-Clean reinstall the GPU drivers with DDU.
-From the Nvidia control panel, set threaded optimization and shader cache to ON.
-Disable Fullscreen optimization.
-If you have a G-Sync/FreeSync monitor, enable it from the Nvidia control panel.

Btw, I also have the 3700x set @4.2Ghz all cores along with 2x8GB @3200Mhz and a 2060 Super, while I didn't get any stutters like you but the above steps improved the performance of Valhalla, still, that game optimization is pure garbage.
Try this because could work or could not but worth a try
  • Try and reduce the graphical settings
  • Switch off background applications that can use some the CPU or RAM power
  • Switch off the “Fullscreen Optimization” on Windows 10
  • Find “ACValhalla.exe”
  • Right-click “ACValhalla.exe” and open “Properties”
  • Choose the “Compatibility” tab
  • Open the “Disable Fullscreen Optimizations” option
  • Choose “OK” and then close the window to disable the Fullscreen Optimization
  • Start the game in Borderless Window mode
  • Wait for an update from Ubisoft
  • Try and install the game onto an SSD
  • Shut the game and restart
  • Download and install new graphics driver updates
  • Verify all the game files

I don't get it, I'm using the recommended settings and I'm getting a TON of stuttering!

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x (Cooled by Cooler Master AIO)
Well obviously you don't have enough cores...
But seriously, there are still people that wonder that an ubisoft game doesn't perform well around release time?

The stutter might be connected to clocks so restricting the game to "only" 8 cores might give your CPU a more steady clock speed on the remaining cores.Alternatively try to lock clocks on all cores to the same clock speed.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Apr 23, 2020
Try this because could work or could not but worth a try
  • Try and reduce the graphical settings
  • Switch off background applications that can use some the CPU or RAM power
  • Switch off the “Fullscreen Optimization” on Windows 10
  • Find “ACValhalla.exe”
  • Right-click “ACValhalla.exe” and open “Properties”
  • Choose the “Compatibility” tab
  • Open the “Disable Fullscreen Optimizations” option
  • Choose “OK” and then close the window to disable the Fullscreen Optimization
  • Start the game in Borderless Window mode
  • Wait for an update from Ubisoft
  • Try and install the game onto an SSD
  • Shut the game and restart
  • Download and install new graphics driver updates
  • Verify all the game files

Neither my CPU or GPU are anywhere close to full load.

Apr 23, 2020
Well obviously you don't have enough cores...
But seriously, there are still people that wonder that an ubisoft game doesn't perform well around release time?

The stutter might be connected to clocks so restricting the game to "only" 8 cores might give your CPU a more steady clock speed on the remaining cores.Alternatively try to lock clocks on all cores to the same clock speed.

All Cores locked with ClockTuner to 4.2ghz

MorganPike

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
I've heard of some struggles with 3000 series clocks out of the gate. As I understand it, Nvidia pushed a driver update to help. All second hand info to me, but if I were you...

Was the 3070 an upgrade card for you or included with a system purchase? If an upgrade, what was your previous card? I'd try re-installing my previous card and see how that performs.

I'd also try turning off any fps limiter and vsync in game to see if they have any effect.

Monitoring your temps also might not be a terrible idea.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Try this:

-Clean reinstall the GPU drivers with DDU.
-From the Nvidia control panel, set threaded optimization and shader cache to ON.
-Disable Fullscreen optimization.
-If you have a G-Sync/FreeSync monitor, enable it from the Nvidia control panel.

Btw, I also have the 3700x set @4.2Ghz all cores along with 2x8GB @3200Mhz and a 2060 Super, while I didn't get any stutters like you but the above steps improved the performance of Valhalla, still, that game optimization is pure garbage.

Solution

MorganPike

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
Typical ubisoft and those pesky anti piracy protection.

I'm not seeing stuttering. I'm running 1440 high settings on a 9600k and a 2070. I've been playing Valhalla through their Ubisoft+ subscription service. I'll finish in less than a couple months and only pay $30 to play it as opposed to $60. But the point is, anti piracy measures should be in place for me.

Would be interesting to know if a cracked exe would resolve the problem though. Not something I'm recommending, just curious.

That’s good, but I mean the cables. I’m assuming that either the cables are part of the PSU itself or I can use the current cables in the new PSU. Or maybe neither? Sorry if I seem dumb here (I am lol).
I'm not seeing stuttering. I'm running 1440 high settings on a 9600k and a 2070. I've been playing Valhalla through their Ubisoft+ subscription service. I'll finish in less than a couple months and only pay $30 to play it as opposed to $60. But the point is, anti piracy measures should be in place for me.

Would be interesting to know if a cracked exe would resolve the problem though. Not something I'm recommending, just curious.

Well as they mentioned their DRM 2.0 doesnt do that "Stuff". But stutters can occur due DRM protection.