[SOLVED] Why is my amd fx 8350 randomly going from 4 ghz to 1.6 ghz

Feb 7, 2019
When i try to play any game my amd fx8350 seems to drop to about 1.6ghz and then my fps drops a ton

My setup:

Amd fx 8350

Gtx 1060 6gb

m5a78l-mlx3

If my motherboard is the problem can someone recommend me a good motherboard around $200 cad?

Solution
Well, what parts are you carrying over?

I assume case (what size motherboards can it take, and what MB form factor would you prefer?), the GTX 1060, and the power supply - but, what brand and model is the power supply?

There are others who are far better at putting together a system than I, but here's my first stab at it (assuming you don't need a new PSU, and I don't know if you need onboard wi-fi, but I didn't check for that because I didn't trust the filter in the selection area):
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($78.68 @ OutletPC)...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, this is likely a problem with your motherboard when the CPU is at load. Budget AM3+ motherboards run 125W CPUs very poorly and they're never recommended as solutions and this one in particular doesn't even pretend to support 125W motherboards; it doesn't officially support anything above 95W.

That being said, I'd just underclock the CPU. I can't think of many reasons to tell you to sink this much money into playing games on a 2012 platform that's generally been a disppointment in gaming. Better off saving this money towards a Ryzen platform upgrade.

If you still decide to upgrade to a higher-end AM3+ motherboard -- and note that this is not my recommendation -- look for 990fx motherboards. It's hard to give an exact recommendation because these motherboards haven't been widely sold new at retail for years and you don't so much get to make a choice as to what motherboard to seek as much as choosing from what's out there and being sold at what prices at any given time.

If you do happen to run into a Gigabyte 970 UD3P board, that particular one does have an 8+2 power phase and that is usually the cheapester you'll find one with a reasonable VRM configuration. You'll have to check that for the individual motherboards you're thinking about purchasing.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

Try to sell the parts and build on the Ryzen Platform.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

^^^ x1000

I would strongly concur and recommend not putting ANY money into that outdated platform. You get a far better performance per dollar going to Ryzen.

That will require a new motherboard and RAM, but well worth it.

Feb 7, 2019

Do you think you could help me pick out a good build? most of the parts of i have are new and i'd be able to add around $200-300 extra with the amount of money i get from selling my parts

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, what parts are you carrying over?

I assume case (what size motherboards can it take, and what MB form factor would you prefer?), the GTX 1060, and the power supply - but, what brand and model is the power supply?

There are others who are far better at putting together a system than I, but here's my first stab at it (assuming you don't need a new PSU, and I don't know if you need onboard wi-fi, but I didn't check for that because I didn't trust the filter in the selection area):
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($78.68 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $328.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-08 15:34 EST-0500

Solution