Question Why is my AMD Ryzen 5 5500 CPU on an MSI B450-A PRO MAX (MS-7B86) MBD overheating. at post time?

wunjō

Commendable
Aug 4, 2022
I am using an AMD Ryzen 5 5500 CPU on an MSI B450-A PRO MAX (MS-7B86) MBD. After the computer posts, a message appears of the screen that says my CPU is overheating. The temperature at this time is 127 C degrees.
Installing a new CPU didn't fix the problem. I replaced CPU cooler with a new and better one, but that didn't help either. Prior to the onset of this problem, there were no issues with the machine. The BIOS is current. Can anyone help?

This PC was constructed using these components:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 6-Core
GPU: EV3A Geforce GTW
SSD: Samsung 980 NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2x8GB)
HDD: WDC WD40EZAZ-00SF3B0 4TB
PSU: Thermaltake SMART 80 PLUS 700 W
MBD: MSI B450-A PRO MAX (MS-7B86)
CPU cooler: ID-COOLING SE-903-XT
Bios: 7B86vMM1 E7B86AMS.MM1
Build Date: October 2022

Last edited:
I had that happen once with my R7-1700 on my ASRock X370 Killer SLI motherboard. I had no idea why as I had checked that the cooler was installed (and it was).

So, I took the cooler off and saw that somehow (to this day I don't know how), a tiny metal washer had fallen onto the IHS, stuck to the thermal paste, and was preventing the cooler plate from making contact with the IHS. So, try taking your cooler off and search for any kind of debris that might have gotten in there.

Now, having said that, I once owned an MSi motherboard and my experience with it ensured that I would never buy another product from MSi. Just within the last month, a co-worker's MSi board cooked itself and took his R5-3600 along with it. On my MSi board, the power distribution system failed, killing the board (probably the same thing that happened to my co-worker's board). I was fortunate that, unlike my co-worker's board, it didn't take my CPU along with it (although this was back in the day when CPUs could tolerate much higher voltages than they can today).

If your MSi board is having power distribution problems, it might be trying to cook your CPU and it's just dumb luck that your CPU still lives. I would drop your CPU onto a different motherboard and see what happens. If the same thing occurs, then your CPU is the problem but it has been my experience that the motherboard is ALWAYS the problem. I've been building PCs since 1988 and I have never had a CPU fail on me.

I have three ancient CPUs that still work just fine (and I fortunately have motherboards that support them):

Intel Core2Duo E6320 (Early socket 775)
AMD Phenom II X4 940 (AM2+)
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (AM3)

The only way to know for sure is to either try another CPU on your motherboard or try your CPU in another motherboard. I would recommend getting a cheap used CPU like a Ryzen 3 1200 because you just need to see if it overheats as well. If it does, then you know it's the motherboard. If it doesn't, then you know it's the CPU and you'll only have spent like $20 to find out.

I'm guessing that it's only $20 because, here in Canada, I can get an old R3-1200 for twenty Canadian dollars on Facebook Marketplace or eBay. These CPUs are mostly useless for anything else these days since they're just 4core/4thread but they're perfect for diagnostic testing purposes.

Last edited:

wunjō

Commendable
Aug 4, 2022
I had that happen once with my R7-1700 on my ASRock X370 Killer SLI motherboard. I had no idea why as I had checked that the cooler was installed (and it was).

So, I took the cooler off and saw that somehow (to this day I don't know how), a tiny metal washer had fallen onto the IHS, stuck to the thermal paste, and was preventing the cooler plate from making contact with the IHS. So, try taking your cooler off and search for any kind of debris that might have gotten in there.

Now, having said that, I once owned an MSi motherboard and my experience with it ensured that I would never buy another product from MSi. Just within the last month, a co-worker's MSi board cooked itself and took his R5-3600 along with it. On my MSi board, the power distribution system failed, killing the board (probably the same thing that happened to my co-worker's board). I was fortunate that, unlike my co-worker's board, it didn't take my CPU along with it (although this was back in the day when CPUs could tolerate much higher voltages than they can today).

If your MSi board is having power distribution problems, it might be trying to cook your CPU and it's just dumb luck that your CPU still lives. I would drop your CPU onto a different motherboard and see what happens. If the same thing occurs, then your CPU is the problem but it has been my experience that the motherboard is ALWAYS the problem. I've been building PCs since 1988 and I have never had a CPU fail on me.

I have three ancient CPUs that still work just fine (and I fortunately have motherboards that support them):

Intel Core2Duo E6320 (Early socket 775)
AMD Phenom II X4 940 (AM2+)
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (AM3)

The only way to know for sure is to either try another CPU on your motherboard or try your CPU in another motherboard. I would recommend getting a cheap used CPU like a Ryzen 3 1200 because you just need to see if it overheats as well. If it does, then you know it's the motherboard. If it doesn't, then you know it's the CPU and you'll only have spent like $20 to find out.

I'm guessing that it's only $20 because, here in Canada, I can get an old R3-1200 for twenty Canadian dollars on Facebook Marketplace or eBay. These CPUs are mostly useless for anything else these days since they're just 4core/4thread but they're perfect for diagnostic testing purposes.

wunjō

Commendable
Aug 4, 2022
Thank you for you input.
I have replaced the MSI motherboard with a Gigabyte motherboard. With the same CPU and cooling system used on the MSI, the Gigabyte motherboard booted up without the high temperatures reported by the MSI. The problem must have been with MSI motherboard. This is not the first problem I have had with MSI, but it will be the last.

Latest posts