[SOLVED] Why is my computer underperforming for its specs?

Mar 6, 2022
Few months ago I was able to scrounge up enough money to afford a 3070, then recently I just upgraded from a 2700x to a 5900x. Was excited to hopefully push 165 fps or higher on Fortnite and GTA and so on because I bought a 165hz monitor. On Fortnite, competitive settings, I can barely push 120 fps when other people with these same components get nearly 500 fps? I have no idea why this would be the issue because I have also 'optimized' windows and Nvidia control panel. Using latest drivers, Latest bios (not the Beta version).

EVGA Geforce RTX 3070
Ryzen 9 5900x
Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi)
4x8 GB 3600mhz Corsair RAM
750w Corsair PSU

Solution
'Optimized Windows and Nvidia drivers'. Does that mean you've turned off Xbox DVR and Game Helper, and used GeForce Experience to Optimize game settings? Check to see if DLSS is enabled but Ray Tracing is disabled, check to see if your graphics are set for the monitor resolution and not doing something stupid like a 4k DSR. Often Your definition of Optimized is for fps, while others view Optimized as a balance of best possible graphics vrs playable fps.

Also, did you reinstall windows after the cpu change. That can make a difference as newer tech uses drivers differently to older architecture, uses different instruction sets in different ways and if the Registry is keyed for one generation, it'll try and treat the new cpu as the same...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
'Optimized Windows and Nvidia drivers'. Does that mean you've turned off Xbox DVR and Game Helper, and used GeForce Experience to Optimize game settings? Check to see if DLSS is enabled but Ray Tracing is disabled, check to see if your graphics are set for the monitor resolution and not doing something stupid like a 4k DSR. Often Your definition of Optimized is for fps, while others view Optimized as a balance of best possible graphics vrs playable fps.

Also, did you reinstall windows after the cpu change. That can make a difference as newer tech uses drivers differently to older architecture, uses different instruction sets in different ways and if the Registry is keyed for one generation, it'll try and treat the new cpu as the same gen, which can have funky results.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Solution
When you updated the bios did you also update the Chipset drivers?

Just running samsung rapid mode can give funky results and incomplete scores.
I know he's not just giving 1 example.

Userbench doesn't like some optimizations.
So you maybe your on to something there.

Mar 6, 2022
I actually just factory reset my windows 10, my fps is better but still not as good as i see other people get. Getting about 300 fps on comp settings (Fortnite) when others get around the ballpark of 700..

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Chipset drivers are found in the same place as the bios, on the motherboard support website. They'll usually have an all on one exe, or you can go through the driver update in device manager after downloading all the seperate drivers and update individually.

Mar 6, 2022
Okey dokey. Just spent the last 30 minutes trying to connect an 8 pin PCI-E connector into the 4 pin CPU slot besides the 8 pin one. Didn't work, and didn't boot. Looked it up, apparently they are totally different even though when I looked it up moments before it said it would work on a different website.

Back on track, I downloaded the chipset drivers, reset pc. Here is new benchmark. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51029721

Played fortnite, same competitive settings as was using previously. Still only 300-360 fps. 30-40% CPU and GPU utilization. Also overclocked GPU and CPU.

GPU overclock ;
  • 100 Core Voltage
  • 50 Core Clock
  • 1000 Memory Clock
100% Power limit @ 83 degrees.

CPU Overclock ;
'Auto OC' in Ryzen Master software.

Mar 6, 2022
Jesus well thanks for the ego crusher.. I'm so confused as to why it won't. I looked it up, and people are saying it should be fine to just use a 8 pin instead of 8 + 4 pin cpu connector. My power supply seems to be fine, I don't see any artifacts in anything at all. I've updated and downloaded any driver I could find, I have reset and updated to the most recent bios again. How disappointing.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Okie. Stop. Please, before you blow something up.

Lesson in power plugs. NO deviation.

Pcie is 6pin or 6+2pin for gpus or other equipment plugged into the pcie slots that requires more juice than can be provided by molex or Sata. PERIOD.

Cpu/EPS is a 4+4, sometimes with an additional 4 or 4+4pin and is labeled as such. These are supplementary power for the cpu and ONLY plug into power ports in the top left of the motherboard, nowhere else.

20+4 is the main motherboard power connector and most higher end motherboards require all 24pins.

Do NOT force the wrong connector into the wrong slot
Okey dokey. Just spent the last 30 minutes trying to connect an 8 pin PCI-E connector into the 4 pin CPU slot besides the 8 pin one.
Or you WILL FRY the motherboard with anything other than a top of the line psu that has protections against such.

My advice is to take the pc to a competent repair shop and have them do the work necessary as this repair seems you are well over your head.

Mar 6, 2022
I'm aware of how the cables work and their labels and deviations.. I did not force any cable at all, the PCI-E cable fit in perfectly so I decided to give it a shot but it wouldn't boot at all so I gave up on that.

Furthermore, I've noticed that my CPU doesn't go a single mhz above 3,475. Just need to figure out how to fix this. Ryzen Master is saying the maximum should be about 4,900 mhz.

Mar 6, 2022
No, I didn't do anything until now where I tried manually overclocking. I'm able to reach 4,500 mhz now, but I'm just still not getting the fps I should be expecting. People with the same hardware with zero overclocks at all just all stock settings are getting around 700 where I'm stuck with barely 300. My friend with a 1650 super gets more fps than I do.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm aware of how the cables work and their labels and deviations..
So you are fully cogniscent of the fact you just tried to shove 12v backwards through the ground plane of the motherboard and into every non-12v component attached to ground, including the cpu. And yet you tried to power on the pc anyway.

The EPS pinouts are opposite that of PCIE 6pin, only the +2 has 2x grounds.

Agree on getting rid of the OC on the cpu, apart from being entirely unnecessary for a 5900x, anything that sets a static core voltage or static clock speeds is to be avoided with a Ryzen.

Mar 6, 2022
If you're referring to the settings on Fortnite,

100% 3D resolution
View distance - Far
Shadows - Off
Anti-Aliasing - Off
Textures - Low
Effects - Low
Post Processing - Low

Also a few settings you can change in the Epic Games launcher like turning off High Resolution Textures. Combine that with changing a bunch of windows (xbox) and nvidia control panel settings.

My friend actually just ran these exact same settings, was averaging about 300 using a 1650 super and ryzen 5 3600.

Good news though, I fixed my cpu. It is no longer capped at 3,475 mhz. Though, still underperforms.