[SOLVED] Why is my CPU being power limited when it shouldn't?

That was cool ngl

Prominent
Feb 4, 2022
I have checked the temps to make sure it doesn't thermal throttle, it doesn't and every time it is put under some load it drops to 3.39 GHz i do have power throttling off in the registry.

Solution
@That was cool ngl
It is normal for Intel CPUs to run at less than the rated base frequency if they are power limit throttling. These CPUs also have a low TDP mode so a manufacturer might decide to force the CPU into TDP-down mode at any time for any reason. That is why I would avoid ever buying a U series CPU. You are at the mercy of the manufacturer as to how it will run.

Have you tried using ThrottleStop? This program might let you increase the turbo power limits. Many laptops with 4th and 5th Gen CPUs lock the power limits in the bios. Post a screenshot of the TPL window and the FIVR window if you need help. This will show what adjustments are available.

That was cool ngl

Prominent
Feb 4, 2022
System spec's would help us help you... CPU, motherboard, memory, GPU, PSU, case, cooling including CPU cooler and case fan arrangements in particular.
What processor are you working with? Laptop or desktop? If the latter, please mention the make and model of your motherboard and it's BIOS version at the time of writing.
Its a laptop

BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.02, 5/11/2015

BaseBoard Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
BaseBoard Product 80DD
BaseBoard Version 64.02

it doesn't thermal throttle,
it is put under some load it drops to 3.39 GHz
One usually links to another - temps are good because CPU clock drops under load. If it didn't then I bet temps would skyrocket because laptop can offer only limited amount of cooling. To avoid that laptop manufacturers (and some prebuilt desktop manufacturers too btw) limit CPU performance with power limits (or in other way).

i7 5500U
15W TDP rating on the CPU. That's not going to stay boosting for long at all.

HP is also pretty well known for not allowing any sort of overclocking in their BIOS. Not much at all you can do about it except making sure the cooler fins aren't getting clogged with dust. Maybe take it to a reputable tech and let them replace thermal paste since it's 7 years old.

That was cool ngl

Prominent
Feb 4, 2022
One usually links to another - temps are good because CPU clock drops under load. If it didn't then I bet temps would skyrocket because laptop can offer only limited amount of cooling. To avoid that laptop manufacturers (and some prebuilt desktop manufacturers too btw) limit CPU performance with power limits (or in other way).
I've tried to do some very whack stuff to keep it cool like overvolting my laptop cooling pad to 12 volts

That was cool ngl

Prominent
Feb 4, 2022
15W TDP rating on the CPU. That's not going to stay boosting for long at all.

HP is also pretty well known for not allowing any sort of overclocking in their BIOS. Not much at all you can do about it except making sure the cooler fins aren't getting clogged with dust. Maybe take it to a reputable tech and let them replace thermal paste since it's 7 years old.
I did replace the thermal paste on it though i replaced it with some other paste from a company called Unick

@That was cool ngl
It is normal for Intel CPUs to run at less than the rated base frequency if they are power limit throttling. These CPUs also have a low TDP mode so a manufacturer might decide to force the CPU into TDP-down mode at any time for any reason. That is why I would avoid ever buying a U series CPU. You are at the mercy of the manufacturer as to how it will run.

Have you tried using ThrottleStop? This program might let you increase the turbo power limits. Many laptops with 4th and 5th Gen CPUs lock the power limits in the bios. Post a screenshot of the TPL window and the FIVR window if you need help. This will show what adjustments are available.

Solution

That was cool ngl

Prominent
Feb 4, 2022
@That was cool ngl

I have and it worked well here's the screenshot you asked for:

https://www.linkpicture.com/q/345345345435.png

I also tried to increase some of the settings to help with the performance