Question Why is my cpu getting so hot?

May 22, 2019
I am using an AMD Ryzen 2600 X with a Be Quiet pure rock slim 35.14 CFM cooler. CPU idles between 36 and 55°C under no more than a 12% load. Whenever I play Ark survival evolved in particular, my PC crashes. It did not always do this. This started happening a couple months ago. I’m fairly certain the CPU cooler is adequate for keeping the temps much lower so I’m not sure if I just need a new CPU cooler, a better mounting bracket, or just new thermal paste. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Something i found out rather recently is that cpu heat spreaders arent perfectly flat. Over time, thin copper bottoms and heat spreaders with pressure, deform to the surface irregularities. Trying to reapply a heat sink could cause issues.

I found this out after removing my hyper 212 and replacing it with an h60 corsair aio. The mate was horrid. I checked both surfaces and discovered the cpu heat spreader was convex and the hyper 212 was concave. The h60 was mostly flat (a teensy convex)

While this is anecdotal evidence it wouldnt surprise me given the material thickness.

Last edited:
Reactions: RayOfDark
The Be Quiet pure rock slim is not the best heatsink. It performs worse than a Hyper 212 evo. Even worse is that you are trying to cool a racehorse like a Ryzen 2600X. You might want to upgrade to at least a heatsink that has 4 heatpipes. That will help control the heat.

Good catch.

The Hyper 212 Rates extremely well unless you want to get that 100, 200 MHz that aio water MIGHT get you. It kept my 95Watt i7 humming along at 4.4 for years and never hit above 70C on prime95. Other more expensive coolers rank better because they have more headroom and can run at a lower RPM. However in terms of performance of thermal conductivity / $, the Hyper 212 comes out on top. (Excluding CPUs that have the cooler in the box for free)

Last edited:
Reactions: Convict626
May 22, 2019
The Be Quiet pure rock slim is not the best heatsink. It performs worse than a Hyper 212 evo. Even worse is that you are trying to cool a racehorse like a Ryzen 2600X. You might want to upgrade to at least a heatsink that has 4 heatpipes. That will help control the heat.
Is there any way I can determine a suitable cooler based off of the power rating of the cpu?

Is there any way I can determine a suitable cooler based off of the power rating of the cpu?
Check the cpu cooler reviews here or hard ocp. (Rip). You uave to decide if you want to focus on performance size noise or cost. Each cooler has its strengths.

You could get a thermalright true arrow or raveen justice and pay an arm and leg. But if you never use it to the max potential whats the point?

I went to el cheapo rote and went for a hyper 212. It works darn well for 100% of standard clocks. For overclocking i would say it gets you most of the way there as bigger coolers. But i wouldnt push it over 200w of heat. (And thats max stock fans in push pull with fresh air)

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
TDP is funky. TDP is actually the value of power used (averaged) in a specific series of apps. It's generally within 5°C± of the temp output, so was adopted as a value for temps and cooling. But it's by no means maximum power used or maximum temp output. Generally, you can figure max wattage as being @ 1.5 to 2x TDP of the cpu, with hyperthreading use figure 2x, and OC goes up from there.

The 2600x is a 95w TDP cpu. Running just 6 threads, figure a max of @ 140-150w rated coolers, like the 140w Hyper212, and that'll be adequate to keep Prime95 temps (non AVX,small fft) somewhere around 70ish. If pushing all 12 threads, start looking at 180w-200w rated coolers such as the Cryorig H5 etc, as that'd be 2x TDP± to keep 100% loads @ 70ish.

But that's just capacity. Efficiency is a whole different thing. The Cryorig H7 and the CM Hyper212 are both @ 140w, 120mm coolers and the Raijintek Aidos and Cryorig m9i are only 92mm coolers, yet anything below the 120w rating of the smaller coolers and all 4 have somewhat similar temps, the Cryorig coolers coming out with better, because they are more efficient.

So you can use the DR slim and see great temps, until you get right at its rating, then temps skyrocket. Meaning you'll get good idle temps, maybe even good gaming temps (gaming is usually @ 70% of max at best or 105w on that cpu) , and then do something dumb like shove Prime95 and close to 150w through a 120w cooler.

Ark: survival is an online game, as such its subject to changes, additions, DLC's, mods and other such, so it may not be your pc at fault, but might be entirely on the server side and what it's asking of the cpu.

Last edited:
Reactions: davew1860