Question why is my cpu still throttling?

naruto66

Prominent
Jun 18, 2019
www.reddit.com
my friend has this 4yro pc and he told me one day he saw the cpu running on 700Ghz so i thought his cpu got throttled because his thermal paste dried
so i cleaned his old thermal paste and reapplied a new one but the cpu is still throttling, what do i do?

naruto66

Prominent
Jun 18, 2019
www.reddit.com
1st off, full system specs?

2nd, what makes you think CPU throttles? Are you assuming it based on CPU core clock alone?

3rd, if so, do you even know what CPU throttle is?
it's i5-4460
8gb ddr3 ram
seasonic 520W
Rx 580

the cpu throttles when it's on a high temp so it adjust the clock speed automatically to slow down, im also using a program called "Throttlestop" it makes the cpu on it's normal clock
but makes temps high.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'd also like to know what kind of temps you're getting out of that 4th gen Core i5 CPU which has locked multiplier and can't be OCd. Only way to thermal throttle that CPU is when the CPU cooler isn't mounted correctly or you use much more inferior CPU cooler than the Intel's stock CPU cooler that CPU initially came with.

With properly mounted Intel's stock CPU cooler on that CPU, most what i5-4460 can do during 100% load is between 70-75C, which is warm but completely safe. CPU thermal throttle begins 90C an up where when you see 100C out of it, PC should shut itself down to avoid CPU burning up.

naruto66

Prominent
Jun 18, 2019
www.reddit.com
I'd also like to know what kind of temps you're getting out of that 4th gen Core i5 CPU which has locked multiplier and can't be OCd. Only way to thermal throttle that CPU is when the CPU cooler isn't mounted correctly or you use much more inferior CPU cooler than the Intel's stock CPU cooler that CPU initially came with.

With properly mounted Intel's stock CPU cooler on that CPU, most what i5-4460 can do during 100% load is between 70-75C, which is warm but completely safe. CPU thermal throttle begins 90C an up where when you see 100C out of it, PC should shut itself down to avoid CPU burning up.
im getting 32C before i stop the throttle and 46C after i start throttlestop 65-68C in games too,
im pretty sure the cpu stock cooler is mounted correctly, so what's the problem?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Problem could be your Throttlestop program which isn't needed at all for that CPU.

Throttlestop is for those lazy folks who doesn't want to improve their PC cooling and instead are using software which both undervolts and underclocks their CPU, so that CPU temps won't go past the value they don't want to see.

The in-game temps what are you getting are completely normal and fine for i5-4460. Heck, even if CPU temps would be 10°C higher it still would be completely fine. If your CPU temps under load would be 80°C and up, then you may start worrying since like i said, when CPU reaches 90°C and more, then and only then CPU thermal throttle begins. With the low temps your CPU is producing, there is no CPU thermal throttle and no need to use Throttlestop program whatsoever. Moreover due to the fact that when you start Throttlestop program, it actually increases CPU temp by 14°C, not lowering it.

Start your Throttlestop, reset all the values to default, uninstall it completely, make a reboot and then check how your CPU temps and clocks are, both on idle and in-game.
For CPU thermal and frequency monitoring, HWinfo64 is good program since it also comes with logging (recording) feature,
link: https://www.hwinfo.com/

naruto66

Prominent
Jun 18, 2019
www.reddit.com
Problem could be your Throttlestop program which isn't needed at all for that CPU.

Throttlestop is for those lazy folks who doesn't want to improve their PC cooling and instead are using software which both undervolts and underclocks their CPU, so that CPU temps won't go past the value they don't want to see.

The in-game temps what are you getting are completely normal and fine for i5-4460. Heck, even if CPU temps would be 10°C higher it still would be completely fine. If your CPU temps under load would be 80°C and up, then you may start worrying since like i said, when CPU reaches 90°C and more, then and only then CPU thermal throttle begins. With the low temps your CPU is producing, there is no CPU thermal throttle and no need to use Throttlestop program whatsoever. Moreover due to the fact that when you start Throttlestop program, it actually increases CPU temp by 14°C, not lowering it.

Start your Throttlestop, reset all the values to default, uninstall it completely, make a reboot and then check how your CPU temps and clocks are, both on idle and in-game.
For CPU thermal and frequency monitoring, HWinfo64 is good program since it also comes with logging (recording) feature,
link: https://www.hwinfo.com/
i don't think throttlestop is the problem, i did this before and also reinstall a fresh new windows with everything deleted, and still my cpu boots with 0.79Ghz for somereason?
you see when i open throttlestop there's a option called "BD PROCHOT" if i disable it the cpu runs on it's full clock but it still feels kinda slower than it normally was before it got throttled, i tried looking in the bios and resetting it, nothing.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Intel CPUs have built-in feature where CPU sits at 800 Mhz when PC is idle. This is both to save power and extend CPU's lifespan. My i5-6600K also sits at 800 Mhz when my PC is on idle. CPU frequency does increase once there's more load on CPU according to the compute needs.
For example: currently (as writing this) my CPU frequency constantly jumps up and down (28% load on CPU), 0.8 Ghz -> 1.2 Ghz -> 3.9 Ghz -> 1.6 Ghz -> 0.8 Ghz -> 1.4 Ghz -> 3.9 Ghz etc, all that within few seconds.
BD PROCHOT - Stands for Bi-directional Processor Hot. PROHOT is an emergency throttling system that is used when a CPU hits its maximum temperature (100 or 105C). BD PROCHOT is a system some laptops use where the CPU will be throttled when another component, such as a GPU, reaches a set temperature—even if the CPU is not hot to the point of throttling.

Run CPU bench program (e.g: CinebenchR15, CinebenchR20, AIDA64, Prime95) and look if your CPU frequency during bench stays at 0.8 Ghz or goes to 3.2 Ghz with turbo up to 3.4 Ghz. Might want to run HWinfo64 as well in "Sensors" mode to log CPU frequency changes.

naruto66

Prominent
Jun 18, 2019
www.reddit.com
Intel CPUs have built-in feature where CPU sits at 800 Mhz when PC is idle. This is both to save power and extend CPU's lifespan. My i5-6600K also sits at 800 Mhz when my PC is on idle. CPU frequency does increase once there's more load on CPU according to the compute needs.
For example: currently (as writing this) my CPU frequency constantly jumps up and down (28% load on CPU), 0.8 Ghz -> 1.2 Ghz -> 3.9 Ghz -> 1.6 Ghz -> 0.8 Ghz -> 1.4 Ghz -> 3.9 Ghz etc, all that within few seconds.

Run CPU bench program (e.g: CinebenchR15, CinebenchR20, AIDA64, Prime95) and look if your CPU frequency during bench stays at 0.8 Ghz or goes to 3.2 Ghz with turbo up to 3.4 Ghz. Might want to run HWinfo64 as well in "Sensors" mode to log CPU frequency changes.
it is running on 0.79Ghz it's taking forever

View: https://imgur.com/a/9MS7hKh

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Well, CinebenchR15 shows that your CPU is sitting nicely at 3.2 Ghz. It is possible that Task Manager shows wrong CPU frequency (source). What did HWinfo64 show during CinebenchR15?

Btw, CinebenchR15 is supposed to take a long time since that bench is CPU render.

naruto66

Prominent
Jun 18, 2019
www.reddit.com
Well, CinebenchR15 shows that your CPU is sitting nicely at 3.2 Ghz. It is possible that Task Manager shows wrong CPU frequency (source). What did HWinfo64 show during CinebenchR15?

Btw, CinebenchR15 is supposed to take a long time since that bench is CPU render.
nope task manager is absolutely right, i tried a test with throttlestop enabled and it was 10x faster

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Here, it's really hard to tell what the issue could be since it can be both hardware issue (dead temp sensor, bent CPU pins, too tight CPU cooler fitting etc) or software issue (power plan settings, old BIOS etc).

If you put into Google:"CPU stuck at 800mhz" then you'll get plethora of same issue topics. I checked several and on many occasions, fixes have been different for different people. E.g;
link 01: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ck-at-0-80ghz-i5-6600k.2785298/#post-17753403
link 02: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...s-above-0-78ghz-800mhz.3376503/#post-20535475
link 03: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cpu-running-at-0-79ghz.3354727/#post-20441450
link 04: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...d-its-stuck-at-0-79ghz.3365652/#post-20486182
Etc.

Out of all the fixes i looked through, i'd 1st:"disable the Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor under the BIOS ".

If that doesn't fix it then:" Open the Al suite go to the tab EPU; on performance tab UNCHECK the "Enable Away Mode. Do the same on The Power saving tab." (link 01)

If that doesn't fix it either then i'd go with new CPU-MoBo-RAM combo and retire the old Haswell build. Of course, given that you'd have enough patience to comb through all those threads and find the one specific fix that works for you, you could get the CPU frequency back at normal levels, given there are no hardware issues with the build.