Question Why is my CPU Voltage different that it is in bios? (i7 8700k Voltage issue?)

Emagdnim

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Title...https://prnt.sc/pq11wl

Through a bunch of reformatting on my windows I at some point reset to default my bios, and lost my OC. So I was trying to work my way back up to where I was at but my voltages were aways insanely high, no matter what I set them to.

I tried checking CPU-Z and Corsair Link and they are reporting the same voltage that I have set in the bios. It's obviously pretty important to know the volt to not blow up my computer.

Also, I discoverd throguh some searching the small and smallest ftt tests on prime95, they flat out push me to 90-100c (quickly) regardless of my oc, even when I was running stock they were pretty high up there. (I think only 90c instead of 100, but still holy xxxx i turned them off so fast.)

I have a h100iv2 liquid cooler.PC Specs --Intel i7-8700k 4.5hz @1.32 in bios (1.36 according to hw monitor) [Previously 5.0ghz at 1.375.]

1080ti

32gb Ram

windows 10 (x64 obv).

ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING Mobo.

OC is done without an XMP profile, on MANUAL, with adjustments to just cpui core ratio, and cpu core voltage. (XMP profile was almost pushing 1.4 for default clock despite being listed at 1.25 in bios, turning off XMP and doing it manual is still offset by a lot, but less. If I set my manual voltage below 1.2 my pc wont start, but if I set it to auto and default it will run core clock on around 1.0v both in bios and when testing.

Computer is stable at that clock, voltage is on the high end, but I seem to have no control over it. Confirmed with HWinfo64, voltage is hitting the cpu much higher than what I have set in bios, and I cant seem to get it working correctly.

<MODERATOR EDIT>

PROFANITY IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN and is a BANNING OFFENSE !!!

Tom's is a family friendly website.

WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not too sure about ASUS motherboards as I use a Gigabyte motherboard but you should be able to get a lot lower on your vcore for a 4.5GHz overclock.

I have XMP enabled across 4 dims 8GB x 4 at DDR4 3200, 4.9GHz at 1.278v on an offset vcore...to jump to 5GHz is just too much vcore for my liking.

I think you need to play around with your offset to find a proper baseline. I had a hell of time understanding the offset as it kept resetting the baseline and going wrong, so look to finding a upper limit then dropping it down in really small increments until it fails then up one or two... Small FFT's will blast the CPU especially if it is with AVX instructions and the temps will skyrocket. Use Prime95 version 26.6 so it tests without AVX and also set an AVX offset in the BIOS.

I have looked around and there are quiet a few forum posts like these out there for your motherboard and the 8700K that might be able to help.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/9hctbw/asus_strix_z370e_and_8700k_completely_stock_bios/e6ayjtz/?st=JN41MY03&sh=f363f72f

Last edited:
What is your LLC at?
Also, XMP overclocks your RAM. It shouldn't affect your CPU speed/voltages at all.

Edit - Prime95 smallFFT (with AVX2) is one of the most brutal loads you can ever put on your CPU. A lot of people prefer to use Realbench 15min stress test as a more real-world stability tester.

Emagdnim

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
What is your LLC at?
Also, XMP overclocks your RAM. It shouldn't affect your CPU speed/voltages at all.

Edit - Prime95 smallFFT (with AVX2) is one of the most brutal loads you can ever put on your CPU. A lot of people prefer to use Realbench 15min stress test as a more real-world stability tester.
So my LLC was at auto for the few years I've had this PC and board, its now at LLC 5 as of last night when I was looking into this issue myself. (I looked up a bunch of similar issues and this was one common fix, it did n't seem to change anything for me.)

I am not too sure about ASUS motherboards as I use a Gigabyte motherboard but you should be able to get a lot lower on your vcore for a 4.5GHz overclock.

I have XMP enabled across 4 dims 8GB x 4 at DDR4 3200, 4.9GHz at 1.278v on an offset vcore...to jump to 5GHz is just too much vcore for my liking.

I think you need to play around with your offset to find a proper baseline. I had a hell of time understanding the offset as it kept resetting the baseline and going wrong, so look to finding a upper limit then dropping it down in really small increments until it fails then up one or two... Small FFT's will blast the CPU especially if it is with AVX instructions and the temps will skyrocket. Use Prime95 version 26.6 so it tests without AVX and also set an AVX offset in the BIOS.

I have looked around and there are quiet a few forum posts like these out there for your motherboard and the 8700K that might be able to help.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/9hctbw/asus_strix_z370e_and_8700k_completely_stock_bios/e6ayjtz/?st=JN41MY03&sh=f363f72f
I'm takign a moment to look into the thread you linked but Its important to note that

1. I have it set to manual NOT offset mode, and
  2. I don't think I listed this in the OP because I was kinda embarassed, but I did try setting it to offset, and adding a small offset insetad of the manual mode.
My 'temps' were fine but the CPU reported to HWmonitor that it was getting like a 1.5-1.6v, so I reset my pc instantly and turned offset back to manual.

Late Edit-
Also, in the thread you posted where it lists some optimized defaults, what exactly is the Long and Short duration package power limit? I can assume what they do, but I mean, can you explain anyway incase I'm stupid and assumed wrong lol, I also never knew what to set those too because I don';t know what that 4095 value is actually representing.

Last edited:
So my LLC was at auto for the few years I've had this PC and board, its now at LLC 5 as of last night when I was looking into this issue myself. (I looked up a bunch of similar issues and this was one common fix, it did n't seem to change anything for me.)

I'm takign a moment to look into the thread you linked but Its important to note that

1. I have it set to manual NOT offset mode, and
  2. I don't think I listed this in the OP because I was kinda embarassed, but I did try setting it to offset, and adding a small offset insetad of the manual mode.
My 'temps' were fine but the CPU reported to HWmonitor that it was getting like a 1.5-1.6v, so I reset my pc instantly and turned offset back to manual.

More than understand resetting to manual with those vcore numbers! I have to admit it took me quiet some time to get a handle on the offset especially on the Gigabyte motherboard as it seemed to be a bit more complex.

Emagdnim

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
More than understand resetting to manual with those vcore numbers! I have to admit it took me quiet some time to get a handle on the offset especially on the Gigabyte motherboard as it seemed to be a bit more complex.

Aight, so just making sure I'm following, were going to set my numbers to that and see what it comes out reporing and if it stays stable ect?? (I'm in a slight panic because my pc is very important to my hobby and my school so please bear with me if I ask stupid questions for confirmation, I'm generally good with PC's, and that I hvae 0 idea whats causing this is making me more uncomfortable. )

Late Edit-- Also, what is the Voltage numbers I'm afraid to see? I know 1.4 can be considered high (and thats what my thing is shhowing now) but if I set it to 5 like it used to be and it draws alot more v, what's the # that if its above I panic and turn everything off before something explodes?

No problems at all and more than understand on how important your PC is....I would be lost without mine! Thankfully there are some great people on this forum who will more than help...

As to max vcore, 1.4v is the upper limit for most but me personally I do not like to go aver 1.35v...

Emagdnim

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
No problems at all and more than understand on how important your PC is....I would be lost without mine! Thankfully there are some great people on this forum who will more than help...

As to max vcore, 1.4v is the upper limit for most but me personally I do not like to go aver 1.35v...
Got it, and in regards to those settings you sent me before, you want me to try those and report back?

I know a decent OC value for my chip normally, my problem is that the value being reported back to me by some of the programs is much higher than the value I've set in the bios, and idk what is safe since its not exactly blowing up my temperatures.

Also the TJMax on a 8700k is 100c, does that mean if it hits 90c it won't be dying like I used to assume? Or is 100c the 'stop here before instant death' point?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, you do need to get educated about OC. It's not that what you are doing is wrong, just not complete.

For most OC, you'll never need more than @ 50-66%, however that turns out according to bios. That means no Extreme, be it level 1 or level 5. Too much LLC is just as bad as not enough. Core voltages constantly fluctuate with loads, the higher the load, the lower the vcore. When the cpu does an instant increase in loads, vcore plummets, that's vdroop. LLC was instituted to combat the vdroop and what it does is pre-emptively apply a small amount of voltage to the droop, so the droop doesn't go down below stable voltage needs. It'll also add that voltage to the spikes seen when the load drops again. By adding too much LLC, the added voltage + the higher vcore = high voltage peaks, usually well beyond what either you or the cpu would like, and drives the VRM's nuts. Not enough LLC means not enough voltage applied to cover the droop, instant loss of stability, only sometimes of which the cpu can instantly recover from, but will eventually lead to bsod.

There's also things like phase controls, pll, ring voltages, vid, offset and any and all eco settings like c-states and eist to take into consideration during OC. It's not just a matter of locking the cores, bumping the multiplier and jacking up vcore to try and maintain stability.

That 100°C limit is not an 'stop here to prevent instant death' number. The chances of instant death of a cpu from crossing that boundary are smaller than the chances of you finding a mouse in Argentina related to an elephant in China. That number is a point at which the cpu guaranteed will go into 'oh chit' mode and try dropping clock speeds, vcore levels etc in an attempt to lower the temps. That can happen after @ 80°C, but will happen at @ 100°C +. If attempts to lower temps fail, the cpu will shutdown everything, instantly, in order to avoid catastrophic, permanent damage. You are far better off with a shutdown than with repeated, constant attempts at dropping the temp, as some damage can occur during that time period. The cpu will decide when it's had enough.

What I would strongly suggest is a very long peek over at Asus ROG forums, and look at everything, and I mean everything, that has anything to do with OC, paying particular attention to your cpu. The theory about OC is all the same, no matter what brand of mobo, or bios, as it's the cpu being overclocked, not the bios. Only difference is some names change, but the setting is the same, like cpu voltage or vcore or core voltage etc.

After you get educated, that's when you can really start tweaking, applying what you read, as it pertains to your cpu, don't try and copy exactly someone else's results, as your cpu is and will respond slightly differently to theirs.

Prime95 small fft (AVX technologies disabled) is perfect for temps ceilings. It's a constant 100% load on the cpu that uses the same instruction sets as games, so becomes defacto max gaming temp. For AIO use, need to run for half an hour. Ignore stability.

Asus RealBench is for stability testing. It'll brutalize every component, gpu, cpu, ram, storage, pcie buss, etc in various combinations. Basically a worst case scenario game. Ignore temps.

It'll be a combination of both Prime95 and RealBench in balance that'll determine stable use at best speeds and temps.

Reactions: CompuTronix