[SOLVED] Why is my cursor lagging while playing video games?

Feb 12, 2022
While playing most of my games on PC, anytime I'm in the game menu where I use the cursor, it lags and skips during movement.
It is a really annoying issue that I can't seem to fix. I have used this mouse before on another PC and there were no issues whatsoever.

I have tried uninstalling and then reinstalling mouse drivers, didn't work. Enhanced pointer precision is turned off, just as inactive window scrolling. GPU drivers have also been reinstalled.

Note: It also lags while playing videos on YouTube and Twitch, and certain programs like Discord also produces this issue.

When I'm not doing anything the mouse moves smoothly, and even while in game (moving the camera, not the cursor) the camera doesn't jump around or produce anomalies.

Tried a different monitor because why not, the issue persisted.

I can't seem to find a solution, I figure the issue is with my system, but I can't afford another PC right now. At least not a complete one.

I am out of ideas of what could be the solution.

PC specs: (quite old I know but it is all I need for the games I usually play)

GPU: RX 550 4GB
CPU: A10-7890k
RAM: 8GB DDR3
MOBO: FM2A68M-DG3+

Since the mouse lags when the gpu is being utilized, lets focus on that for now. Are the gpu drivers up to date? If they are try using display driver uninstaller. Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.4.8 (guru3d.com) Just pick your gpu, and let the program uninstall the driver and restart. Then reinstall the most recent driver for your gpu. See if that clears the problem up.

Solution
Feb 12, 2022
Since the mouse lags when the gpu is being utilized, lets focus on that for now. Are the gpu drivers up to date? If they are try using display driver uninstaller. Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.4.8 (guru3d.com) Just pick your gpu, and let the program uninstall the driver and restart. Then reinstall the most recent driver for your gpu. See if that clears the problem up.

It seems the issue a lot less frequent now. Some micro-lags still occur but they are a LOT less noticable and also less frequent. Thank you!
I am a bit frustrated because I did this once, I used ddu before but after the installation of the gpu drivers I have then updated the drivers again when the newest came out. Never doing that again. Don't know why it does this though.

Note to self (or others who might find this useful): Don't update to the newest GPU drivers, only to the recommended ones or if an update has a new feature you need.

Although, it seems to be gone for now, I will be on the watch if the issue ever comes back.

Thank you again!

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch
It seems the issue a lot less frequent now. Some micro-lags still occur but they are a LOT less noticable and also less frequent. Thank you!
I am a bit frustrated because I did this once, I used ddu before but after the installation of the gpu drivers I have then updated the drivers again when the newest came out. Never doing that again. Don't know why it does this though.

Note to self (or others who might find this useful): Don't update to the newest GPU drivers, only to the recommended ones or if an update has a new feature you need.

Although, it seems to be gone for now, I will be on the watch if the issue ever comes back.

Thank you again!
I would only use WHQL drivers. If you like you can post your Amd settings, and I could take a look at them for you.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The WHQL drivers for any particular subset of gpus are all the same. Same drivers for a gtx970 - gtx1660ti, rtx2060 - rtx3090, 5500xt - 6900xt. What changes are made are basically just game optimizations or adding new tables for gpu recognition. So when amd released the 6500xt as late as it did, you need a new driver set because older drivers didn't contain any info about a 6500xt. If you have a 6500xt. If you have a 6600xt, you'd not need to update.

That was the biggest issue with games like New World, without the game optimization files, it had no limits set for things like power delivery, so could over power some of the higher cards and ppl were seeing 107% to 120%± power limits.

So drivers are an iffy thing, sometimes it's good to get the whole package, many times it's unnecessary, it depends on the gpu used, the software used, the owners needs.