[SOLVED] Why is my friend's ryzen 2600 overheating?

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hey guys. My friend just bought his parts about 4 days ago and he downloaded corsair link to check the temperatures and his cpu is at 112 degrees celsius. Is that normal? I think that's too high. Here is a screeshot:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/407852432274620417/530034220429606932/Desktop_Screenshot_2019.01.02_-_16.45.17.96.png
As you can see the temperature is way too high. His motherboard is asus b450 tuf plus gaming. He is using the fan that comes with the processor. So what is wrong with his cpu? Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to post your friend's system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Is your friend on the latest BIOS update for the motherboard? Is your friend also on an aftermarket cooling solution? Corroborate the readings in Corsair link with the BIOS readings. Also use HWMonitor and see if you see the same thing. Monitor the voltages for the CPU as well.

Thats correct. Most CPUs would have shut down by then. I also have read that some third party programs have issues reading AMDs thermals.

Doesn't AMD have a program that reads their temps as well?

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016

Everything is fine he downloaded hwmonitor and it says that his cpu is at 65 degrees. Corsair link and hwmonitor show the same temperatures for me so I thought that was the case for everybody. Guess I was wrong. Thanks for the help guys.

At idle, I would expect the cpu temperature to be 10-15c. over ambient.
ryzen throttle point is around 85c.

Some reasons for high temperature:

1. The case is not delivering sufficient airflow to the cooler to let it do it's job.
If temperatures are normal with the case sides removed, look to case cooling solitions.

2. Improper cooler installation.

a) Too much thermal paste will act as an insulator. A small rice sized drop is sufficient, it will spread out under heat and pressure.

b) The cooler needs to be tightened down evenly. Tighten the screws a little at a time in a crossing pattern.

c) Is the cooler fan spinning?

d) some coolers come with protective mylar that needs to be removed before installation.

Is that 65c under load or idle? If thats idle that seems a tad hot. I was under the impression that Ryzen was a pretty well behaved CPU temperature wise.

theycallmechris

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018

Is that 65 degrees C at idle? Or under load like when gaming? Under load that would be normal for a non-overclocked 2600 as the stock cooler is good enough for that. At idle, that would be concerning.

Also, has your friend tried MSI Afterburner? The CPU Temp monitor seems to be pretty accurate as it was showing temps with in a degree or 2 of what my BIOS was showing me when just idling, which makes me believe it's providing good information over all.

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016

No this temperature is while he was playing fortnite.