Question Why is my game now stuttering with my new monitor?

Dec 19, 2019
Hey all.
I recently got a new monitor and ever since setting it up, playing Overwatch has been incredibly choppy even though I am getting good FPS. My monitor is a MSI g24c 144hz. I run a Intel i5-7400@3.00 GHz, 16GB ram, Nvidia 1070, all built into an Aurora R6. I do not have any of the settings turned on for the monitor, and I have had a better experience with an HDMI versus a DP. My temps are running at just after finishing a game are CPU 43C and GPU 80C. All of the drivers are up to date as far as I know.

Dec 19, 2019
Is this monitor g sync compatible? If not I think that's the issue, but I'm not an expert. You can set up g sync support in the Nvidia control panel.
It's FreeSync. I've read online that it is compatible, however, there's been responses saying that it does cause the choppiness due to lack of a compatibility update on Nvidia's end. Not sure though.

Dec 19, 2019
Might you need a frame limiter? You can get more than 200 fps in Overwatch at 1080p with a gtx 1070 (however, not sure if your CPU allows for that). It's my understanding that you shouldn't allow fps to exceed the refresh rate when using gsync. This might be helpful to get your settings optimized:

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/
I had it set to limited by the monitor in the in-game settings and still experienced issues. Then I changed it to 100 with no difference. I'm beginning to believe my CPU isn't up to par, but I will be trying the other bits of advice involving adaptive sync shortly.

ajohnson94

Reputable
Nov 18, 2017
I've gone from a 1080p 60hz TV to a 2k 144hz GSYNC monitor and almost regret it. i get higher fps now due to DP and 144hz, but its made 60fps look terrible, its really choppy. I do use a controller not a mouse and keyboard and dont know how much this can effect it but its made 60fps look like complaete crap.