Why is my GPU core clock so high?

Aug 20, 2018
My games kept crashing and I kept getting a coloured then black screen after installing my new 980ti.
I found this guy's video who told me to reduce the core clock, memory clock and power limit to minimum so I did and tried fortnite on high settings. It worked fine with good temps when I checked MSI afterburner.
However, the core clock seemed exceptionally high with a fluctuation between mins: 1190 and max: 1391 which looked quite high (bare in mind this is with core clock at -90 on afterburner.
The game ran fine but I'm afraid this is high and may result in something bad or my game crashing during a fight. I am also wanting to play GTA 5 which is more demanding.
I would like to know if this is high and concerning, and if so is there a solution. Also my memory clock is a constant 3305. I would like to know if any of these are high or concerning as if not I will try to increase it slowly till it works without crashing (basically overclocking).

Solution
This simply means that the gpu is hitting the max power draw so you 're on the max voltage as well. 1 means positive, which is actually like voltage limit= true. Nothing to worry about.
Overclocking the gpu is a combination of increasing the core/memory clocks, along with voltage and power/temp limits. You have to slowly get to the sweet spot. Better have some research on overclocking gpus before starting.
Aug 20, 2018
On the hardware montior tab to the right of the main interface where it says voltage limit it is either 0 or 1 and when gaming it constantly 1 but when idle it is 0 idk if this is bad or not

This simply means that the gpu is hitting the max power draw so you 're on the max voltage as well. 1 means positive, which is actually like voltage limit= true. Nothing to worry about.
Overclocking the gpu is a combination of increasing the core/memory clocks, along with voltage and power/temp limits. You have to slowly get to the sweet spot. Better have some research on overclocking gpus before starting.

Solution