Why is my GPU making this noise?

jo_pisani

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oPYf0IFfuE&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

Hey there.

My card is about a year old and it works totally fine, I haven't really had any problems.

Although, just recently, when playing CS:GO, at certain times my card will make a loud whir-like noise. Sort of sounds like a less intense version of a car revving it's engine. It only does this for short amounts of time. Never lasting more than about 10-20 seconds. This just started happening about a week ago. It happens at random times in game, but is almost guaranteed when there is a smoke grenade thrown. I'm guessing because the particles for that are very GPU-intensive.

I'm not really sure if this is an issue or not, just concerned for my card's well-being.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any input is appreciated.

Also note that speedfan is showing the flame icon meaning the GPU is running hotter than normal.

jbrown156

Reputable
May 7, 2014

that is a deffective fan issue .. replace the gpu fan and you should have gotten rid the problem.. the noise is coming from the fan..

jo_pisani

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014

Awh man. I figure this has to be RMA'd?

iAboodz

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
It only sounds like the gpu fan is going faster which is normal when gaming, or did I miss something ?
keep an eye on your temps and if you find them going high then you need to take it for service if you don't know how to. (cleaning it from the inside and putting it back together). if you know and it's still getting hot then do take it for the shop.