[SOLVED] Why is my GPU not working?

ciric.stefan95

Reputable
Jun 24, 2018
My gpu(AMD Radeon HD 7950) stopped working all of a sudden. Fans on it are spinning but there is no display. I am using onboard at the moment and I can see that the PC does not see my graphics card at all. I tried with 2 other graphic cards to see if the first one is dead and all 3 graphic cards are not working. So I guess that it is not the card?
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.40GHz 47 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (8-8-8-23)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. H61M-S2-B3 (Socket 1155) 27 °C
Graphics
V223HQV (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (Gigabyte)
Storage
111GB KINGSTON SA400S37120G ATA Device (SATA-2 (SSD)) 25 °C
596GB Western Digital WDC WD6400AACS-00G8B1 ATA Device (SATA ) 23 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO

tecmo34

Administrator
Try clearing your CMOS to see if that makes a difference, as it sets the BIOS back to default.

What PSU do you have and can you try another one to rule out as a potential PSU issue or that cables haven't come loose from the PSU?

Have you verified the GPU's in another system to confirm that the cards aren't all bad (unlikely but easy test if you have a secondary system to test with)?

Have you updated your drivers lately, as the new AMD drivers don't support this GPU, which was last supported in the June update? You can boot into Safe Mode, use DDU to remove drivers and re-install Adrenalin 21.5.2 Recommended (WHQL) that was the last supported driver.

ciric.stefan95

Reputable
Jun 24, 2018
Try clearing your CMOS to see if that makes a difference, as it sets the BIOS back to default.

What PSU do you have and can you try another one to rule out as a potential PSU issue or that cables haven't come loose from the PSU?

Have you verified the GPU's in another system to confirm that the cards aren't all bad (unlikely but easy test if you have a secondary system to test with)?

Have you updated your drivers lately, as the new AMD drivers don't support this GPU, which was last supported in the June update? You can boot into Safe Mode, use DDU to remove drivers and re-install Adrenalin 21.5.2 Recommended (WHQL) that was the last supported driver.

Thank you for the response.
I cleared CMOS, no changes.

PSU is LC600H-12 V2.31 600W. I have another PSU that I can try. Will do it when I come home today.

I do not have a second system to test all 3 GPUs on.

I did not update drivers recently. But I did try DDU in safe mode last night. Deleted drivers but can not install any AMD driver now because it says that GPU is not connected.

More info that I found out:
  • In CPUZ under mainboard, graphics interface is greyed out
  • GPUZ also does not see my graphics card, it only sees integrated one
  • Speccy only sees integrated one, also under motherboard, PCI Data is empty

By the way, this is how I found out that it is not working.
One night I turned off the PC like always. The next morning, turned it on, and only the monitor with integrated GPU turned on. So it did not happen while I was gaming or anything.

Buljic

Prominent
Aug 31, 2021
At first, I thought that your GPU is dead. But you test 2 more on the same motherboard.
It can be a faulty motherboard, you can try to buy a second one (same model), they are cheap.

You should try with another PSU anyway.
Another thing to try is to test these GPUs on another system, as suggested.

Also, does GPU getting power, plug in PCIe, and see if it's hot.
And please don't ask for help on AXE or Benchmark forum, they are all gonna tell that it's old trash and it should stop work eventually.

ciric.stefan95

Reputable
Jun 24, 2018
Ok, so I tried another PSU that I have with all 3 GPUs and they are not working. Fans on all of them are working but PC does not see them.

When I plug GPUs in PCIe without 6pins, then fans do not turn on at all and they do not get hot at all.

I also tried switching CPUs and the same thing. GPUs still not working.
I am afraid that some part in the motherboard in charge of PCIe is dead I guess.