Question Why is my GPU only at 30% usage when in a game?

Zelotus

Commendable
Aug 13, 2020
Ive been playing games like CS:GO, Beat Saber, Cyberpunk and Risk of Rain 2 for a while and the issue is that whenever i play my gpu always hits under 144 FPS on 20-30% usage.
I've been thinking my RAM was bottlenecking my PC due to its low speed. Is there anything I have to upgrade to use all of my GPU?
Specs:
Asus TUF X470-PLUS GAMING
Ryzen 7 2700X
GIGABYTE RTX 2070
16 GB 2666MHZ DDR4 RAM
If asked, i can supply HWMonitor info

Could be a few things.
Ryzen likes fast ram. And it likes dual channel
3200 cas 16 seems to be the sweet spot for your system.
Also a lot of people turn draw distance to max to prevent pop ins. Turning draw distance down reduces the CPU load and improves frame rates. Play around with your settings in each game and see what distance works for you.
This is a useless benchmark but it will show if something is really under-performing.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/Software

Run it and post their link to your results.

Reactions: ianchairawan

Zelotus

Commendable
Aug 13, 2020
Could be a few things.
Also a lot of people turn draw distance to max to prevent pop ins. Turning draw distance down reduces the CPU load and improves frame rates. Play around with your settings in each game and see what distance works for you.
This is a useless benchmark but it will show if something is really under-performing.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/43608174
I currently am running dual channel ram and i do use low draw distances on most games i play.

You have a background CPU usage of 22%, that is extremely high.
Which will make all scores lower.
Are you mining , folding, etc...?
Or it could be a mining virus.
Something is eating a lot of CPU cycles.
First we need to fix that.
Use CTRL-ALT-DELETE to bring up task manager.
Click more details.
This shows all processes.
Click the top of the CPU column to sort by usage instead of name.
This is where you see what is using your CPU the most.
Close whatever programs are using the most CPU . END TAST at bottom.
Your CPU usage at idle or sitting at desktop should be 1-3% with small jumps occasionally not 22%.

After stopping everything rerun the benchmark and post results again.

Zelotus

Commendable
Aug 13, 2020
You have a background CPU usage of 22%, that is extremely high.
Which will make all scores lower.
Are you mining , folding, etc...?
Or it could be a mining virus.
Something is eating a lot of CPU cycles.
First we need to fix that.
Use CTRL-ALT-DELETE to bring up task manager.
Click more details.
This shows all processes.
Click the top of the CPU column to sort by usage instead of name.
This is where you see what is using your CPU the most.
Close whatever programs are using the most CPU . END TAST at bottom.
Your CPU usage at idle or sitting at desktop should be 1-3% with small jumps occasionally not 22%.

After stopping everything rerun the benchmark and post results again.
Apologies. it was all just discord.
redid a scan with it closed and this is how it is now.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/43610853

You still have 13% background processes.
That is one full core doing something besides benchmarking or gaming.
Your processor also does not boost above 3.95ghz. . So it is configured wrong or is running hot.
Looks like you have a heavy overclock on the video card with 2100 core but memory is downclocked to 3500 speed.
Lets go back task manager CTRL_ALT_DELETE.
more details
This time start up tab at top.
Here disable everything except your sound, windows security alerts and your anti virus.
Reboot and run the benchmark again.

Aug 31, 2021
Could be a few things.

hello, i got the same problem as he has. i did reset my pc like 2 months ago and after that i still had high cpu and memory usage wile just watching my desktop i also got many lagspikes wile in a game like fivem, warzone wile having good fps do you know anything to fix it i tryed everyting like settings, installing programs everyone recomended what stops things like stuttering nothing helped

hello, i got the same problem as he has. i did reset my pc like 2 months ago and after that i still had high cpu and memory usage wile just watching my desktop i also got many lagspikes wile in a game like fivem, warzone wile having good fps do you know anything to fix it i tryed everyting like settings, installing programs everyone recomended what stops things like stuttering nothing helped
Start your own thread, stating your issues and provide full system specs along with the make and model of PSU.