[SOLVED] Why is my GPU temperature rising so much with Kraken g12?

zachUVA

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
I have installed a Kraken g12 with a Corsair H55 on my 1070ti. I posted about this before, but the temperature reached 80 c last night. Should I reapply the thermal paste and replace my cooler if necessary?

Solution
Stock 1070 should never really need any form of liquid cooling, so this seems like one of those instances where someone believed liquid cooling would be much better.

I really need to write up a huge section in the watercooling sticky in order to copy/paste to everyone:

Not all liquid cooling is better than air cooling.

Not all liquid cooling is the same. A small AIO cannot be expected to deliver custom watercooling loop performance.
I
The g12 is just a mounting bracket that allows the use of an aio cooler, it's not a cooler by itself.
Ah ok makes sense.
You may try reapplying the paste, as well as making sure its properly seated on the card. How is it mounted? What is your airflow like?
I had a 1070ti and never had a problem with cooling with onboard fans. Is your case small? If you have poor airflow the cooler isn't going to work because it is not getting air flow over the radiator cooling fins, and exhausting warm air out of the case.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Stock 1070 should never really need any form of liquid cooling, so this seems like one of those instances where someone believed liquid cooling would be much better.

I really need to write up a huge section in the watercooling sticky in order to copy/paste to everyone:

Not all liquid cooling is better than air cooling.

Not all liquid cooling is the same. A small AIO cannot be expected to deliver custom watercooling loop performance.

Reactions: Gmoney06ss
Solution

zachUVA

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
Yeah I'm definitely curious to see what case and fan setup OP is running. I've also never had any issues with air cooled cards, but then again I tend to go overboard with airflow in those setups.

So what is the current setup?
My case is the coolermaster masterbox lite 5 rgb with two 120mm aio in the front for the cpu and the gpu. Currently the side panel is removed. Had to go with a g12 cuz by stock gpu cooler which is a blower style was making a weird noise from the fan and died for some reason.