Question Why is my GPU underperforming

shadi.obaia

Commendable
Aug 17, 2018
I recently purchased a 2060 super and for some reason, I can't run games as well as I thought I would be. For example, GTA 5 runs at 35-45 FPS on normal settings when I thought it would be able to run high-ultra at 60. I have no idea why my frames are bad.

UserBenchmarks: Game 62%, Desk 42%, Work 42%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G - 49.3%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060S (Super) - 84.4%
SSD: Adata XPG SX6000 NVMe PCIe M.2 128GB - 87%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB - 64.6%
RAM: Adata DDR4 3600 2x8GB - 80%
MBD: MSI B450-A PRO (MS-7B86)

edit: after doing the benchmark, I can see that my CPU is heavily underperforming. No idea why.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25050308

Last edited:

shadi.obaia

Commendable
Aug 17, 2018
It's not even hitting base frequency. Are you on latest BIOS? What are your CPU temps under load?
I have no idea how to check either of those and my friend told me not to mess with the BIOS if I don't know what I'm doing. I'm not very knowledgeable about computers. All I know is that it should be running better.
I have not touched the BIOS in almost a year so it's probably outdated and I am not sure how to check my CPU temps.

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
I have no idea how to check either of those and my friend told me not to mess with the BIOS if I don't know what I'm doing. I'm not very knowledgeable about computers. All I know is that it should be running better.
I have not touched the BIOS in almost a year so it's probably outdated and I am not sure how to check my CPU temps.
Download core temp to check cpu temperatures and download nvidia control/experience for the 2060 super so you can update it and make sure that you have your old drivers uninstalled.

shadi.obaia

Commendable
Aug 17, 2018
Download core temp to check cpu temperatures and download nvidia control/experience for the 2060 super so you can update it and make sure that you have your old drivers uninstalled.
Just downloaded Core temp and I'll test it with kombuster now. I already had Gefroce experience installed and I have the latest drivers downloaded.
Thanks!

shadi.obaia

Commendable
Aug 17, 2018
It's not even hitting base frequency. Are you on latest BIOS? What are your CPU temps under load?

I ran Kombuster after installing core temp and my CPU hovered around 66-68 degrees Celcius by 3 minutes. It hit 71 within the first 30 seconds then went down.
71 Degrees Celcius at 5 minutes.

Gpu at 75degrees Celcuis by 3 minutes 30 seconds.

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
I ran Kombuster after installing core temp and my CPU hovered around 66-68 degrees Celcius by 3 minutes. It hit 71 within the first 30 seconds then went down.
71 Degrees Celcius at 5 minutes.

Gpu at 75degrees Celcuis by 3 minutes 30 seconds.
Those temperatures seem alright being under load. Do you water cool your CPU? Does your case have enough airflow? How many fans are on your GPU?

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
What is the exact model of the GPU and did you get it new or used?
Also, you could try to take the panel off to get more airflow.
But I think the main reason why your GPU is underperforming is that your CPU is bottlenecking it.

shadi.obaia

Commendable
Aug 17, 2018
What is the exact model of the GPU and did you get it new or used?
Also, you could try to take the panel off to get more airflow.
But I think the main reason why your GPU is underperforming is that your CPU is bottlenecking it.

Would I need to get a new CPU to fix that or is there a way to boost the performance of my CPU

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
Would I need to get a new CPU to fix that or is there a way to boost the performance of my CPU
Your GPU shouldn't perform that poorly though. I would recommend increasing the fan speeds on the GPU by using MSI afterburner to see if the card gets cooler and then try to do another benchmark because the benchmark could just be inconsistent. You could just restart your PC then try the benchmark again to see if there is any difference. Then if all else fails then I would try to overclock your GPU but if that doesn't do it then I would overclock the CPU, however, I don't recommend doing that without an AIO.

shadi.obaia

Commendable
Aug 17, 2018
Your GPU shouldn't perform that poorly though. I would recommend increasing the fan speeds on the GPU by using MSI afterburner to see if the card gets cooler and then try to do another benchmark because the benchmark could just be inconsistent. You could just restart your PC then try the benchmark again to see if there is any difference. Then if all else fails then I would try to overclock your GPU but if that doesn't do it then I would overclock the CPU, however, I don't recommend doing that without an AIO.

I updated my BIOS and the GPU is now performing better than it was but the CPU seems to be the same https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25053272

Feb 10, 2020
bro recommend you to check your cpu frequencies in your bios to check if its working on its top frequencies. you should check if your using dual channel ram configuration. check your mobo manual to figure out what are the proper ports. check nvidia control panel and set your gpu on maximun performance. It's all come to my mind. sorry.

I guess your cpu is making a bottleneck to your gpu. check if CPU is working on its maximun frequency.

shadi.obaia

Commendable
Aug 17, 2018
bro recommend you to check your cpu frequencies in your bios to check if its working on its top frequencies. you should check if your using dual channel ram configuration. check your mobo manual to figure out what are the proper ports. check nvidia control panel and set your gpu on maximun performance. It's all come to my mind. sorry.

I guess your cpu is making a bottleneck to your gpu. check if CPU is working on its maximun frequency.

Ill check it all. Thanks man!