Question Why is my GPU usage so low ?

May 15, 2024
So i have an i5-13600k and 4070 Ti Super but when gaming the CPU usage is higher than the GPU which never goes above 50%. I already reformatted the PC but it's still the same. I tried see 'cos I got a 60hz monitor (to get updated to a better one) if it is that causing the bottleneck?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe what system resources are being used, how much is being used, and by what software.

May 15, 2024
Hey there,

What resolution is the monitor? What games? All of them? If you are playing on a 1080p monitor, then your GPU will prob not need to push high usage. At that res, the games are almost too easy for the CPU/GPU combo.
So it's 1920x1080 the resolution , basicly all games. My question is because like in helldivers 2 there's times that even spike lag but if it is because the monitor then yea everything solved

Is your gaming not performing well in some way?
Or, are you just interested in understanding the statistics you see?

It is normal, even desirable to have cpu and gpu utilization be less than 100%
If a resource is used 100% it indicates a bottleneck.
On the cpu, much of the game will run in the single master thread.
On, for example, a cpu with 12 processing threads might show only 8% average cpu utilization if that one thread was all that was running.
An extreme example... yes.

It is the cpu that generated display frames.

On the task manager view, Right click on the cpu display and select logical processor view.
It will give you some insight on how the game processing is spread out among available threads.

As an experiment, lower your graphics resolution and game settings.
If you see a nice boost in fps, then your cpu is capable of running a stronger graphics card.
OTOH, if you see little difference, your cpu is holding you back.

Reactions: slightnitpick
May 15, 2024
Is your gaming not performing well in some way?
Or, are you just interested in understanding the statistics you see?

It is normal, even desirable to have cpu and gpu utilization be less than 100%
If a resource is used 100% it indicates a bottleneck.
On the cpu, much of the game will run in the single master thread.
On, for example, a cpu with 12 processing threads might show only 8% average cpu utilization if that one thread was all that was running.
An extreme example... yes.

It is the cpu that generated display frames.

On the task manager view, Right click on the cpu display and select logical processor view.
It will give you some insight on how the game processing is spread out among available threads.

As an experiment, lower your graphics resolution and game settings.
If you see a nice boost in fps, then your cpu is capable of running a stronger graphics card.
OTOH, if you see little difference, your cpu is holding you back.
I'm interested in understanding the statistics i see to know if it's right because an example in read dead 2 i play very well no game lag but in helldivers 2 i see videos whit the same specs but higher fps when mine don't go higher and still get like spikes of lag sometimes, maybe just bad optimization of the game but that's what im trying to know.

Ralston18

Titan
@Djsawb

Another tool that can prove helpful, as I understand your interests, is Process Explorer.

Microsoft, free.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

And also pay attention to the column headers being presented in all three of the tools.

When you select a column you will often see a small upward or downward pointing ^ in the column header.

Clicking the column header can then sort the presented data in ascending or descending order. Helpful if the data keeps moving or jumping about.

Just another means of discovering what processes are using the system.

You may or may not be able to control or limit those processes.

In any case, learn what any given process is before disabling or deleting anything.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
In 1080p60, you're going to be using more CPU than GPU. GPU usage climbs at higher resolutions, and/or higher refresh rates. If you want to see your GPU being utilized more, than you need either a higher resolution monitor, or one with a higher refresh.

What are you using to view GPU usage? Task manager does an extremely poor job of reporting correctly.

I'd suggest running something with a canned benchmark and/or something like 3DMark where you can compare similar systems to see if there's anything really standing out performance wise.