Question Why is my GPU utilization at 20% while running 1.18.2 Minecraft with shaders?

Aug 4, 2022
System Specs
I9-11900k
RTX 3080 ti
32gb Ram 3600mhz

I have been trying to fix this issue with my Minecraft for three days now, but it will use only 20% - 35% while running Minecraft with shaders. I have used Nvidia control panel to run Minecraft with my dedicated GPU, it's not being power limited. It's like my PC is being limited, this only occurs on Minecraft. I've test Rainbow Six Siege, Fortnite, and Warzone; they all jump to 100%. I have uninstalled Minecraft and Java, I have also factory reset my pc, but I always get the same thing, 20% - 35% GPU usage.

Which shaders? 3rd party? Which version of Minecraft? Java or Microsoft's windows version. Have you checked your CPU usage and clock speeds? What are your GPU temps like?

Minecraft is an incredibly easy game to run. With that hardware you can EASILY run into 300 fps with the correct settings. I get over 200fps on my 5700XT. (Java edition) It becomes CPU bound. But if you cap your frame rate to not exceed your monitor frame rate, or your CPU bound, your GPU will go idle. Or if your GPU is overheating, it will throttle.

Aug 4, 2022
Sidlers Extreme
Seus Renewed
Complementary
Optifine Built In
Even with the built in optifine shaders I top at 100 fps in good areas, but 60 with every other shader
Java Edition
My monitor is 1080p 165hz

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022
Which shaders? 3rd party? Which version of Minecraft? Java or Microsoft's windows version. Have you checked your CPU usage and clock speeds? What are your GPU temps like?

Minecraft is an incredibly easy game to run. With that hardware you can EASILY run into 300 fps with the correct settings. I get over 200fps on my 5700XT. (Java edition) It becomes CPU bound. But if you cap your frame rate to not exceed your monitor frame rate, or your CPU bound, your GPU will go idle. Or if your GPU is overheating, it will throttle.
My gpu sits around 60 C under load

Sidlers Extreme
Seus Renewed
Complementary
Optifine Built In
Even with the built in optifine shaders I top at 100 fps in good areas, but 60 with every other shader
Java Edition
My monitor is 1080p 165hz

Ahhhh I see. Seuss is heavily CPU dependent. It's ray tracers are it's home brew and it does not use NVIDIA's tracers. Thus you are waiting on your CPU. To get RT with minecraft, there is a special version for it.

(But I will admit I love Seuss and the various resource packs)

Aug 4, 2022
Ahhhh I see. Seuss is heavily CPU dependent. It's ray tracers are it's home brew and it does not use NVIDIA's tracers. Thus you are waiting on your CPU. To get RT with minecraft, there is a special version for it.

(But I will admit I love Seuss and the various resource packs)
Seus was my benchmarking shader pack to test CPU utilization, but CPU utilization is at like 20% - 30%
I've tried different java versions, optifine versions, but I get the same 20% - 35% on GPU and 20% - 30% on my CPU
it's as if Java or Minecraft is limiting the performance of my pc but I've been stuck on this for four days now.

Seus was my benchmarking shader pack to test CPU utilization, but CPU utilization is at like 20% - 30%
I've tried different java versions, optifine versions, but I get the same 20% - 35% on GPU and 20% - 30% on my CPU
it's as if Java or Minecraft is limiting the performance of my pc but I've been stuck on this for four days now.

It's Java and OpenGL. Its not good at threading such task. Start task manager and break the CPU graph into logical processors. You'll see a couple get hammered while the rest are in low use.