[SOLVED] Why is my GTX 1080 performing so terribly?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 14, 2021
I'm getting less than half of the frames I would usually get in any game and my Unigine Heaven score was terrible
1460 on 1080p with 57.3 frames, can anyone help me?

Solution
Looks like 2 issues off hand, slow ram and a slow Sabrent Q SSD.

Ideally, with Ryzen, you want ram speeds above 3000mhz. With you running 4 sticks this isn't likely to be able to overclocked much.

Your SSD choice uses PCIE4 but your motherboard only has PCIE3 so right off the bat you lose a chuck of speed. And then there is QLC flash that your dealing with on this drive. QLC is quite a bit slower at writing then TLC and MLC so to work around that they allocate a huge chuck of the empty cells to run in high speed Single Cell mode to act as a buffer until the data can be rewritten to the cells in QLC mode. A "mostly empty" Rocket Q uses 240GB of the drive for that and if it's using a Dynamic SLC cache allotment they you are...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Normally I'd agree, but for 1 thing. If the port is disabled, it wouldn't read the drive in the first place, the Sabrent would not show or the Seagate wouldn't show, the port being disabled makes it functionally dead to any data transfer, including hardware id's.

The Sabrent is at 54%, so it's doing something. Just not nearly what it's capable of. Almost as if it was stuck at Gen3 mode, not Gen4 mode.

itsdigger

Reputable
Jan 11, 2018
Normally I'd agree, but for 1 thing. If the port is disabled, it wouldn't read the drive in the first place, the Sabrent would not show or the Seagate wouldn't show, the port being disabled makes it functionally dead to any data transfer, including hardware id's.

The Sabrent is at 54%, so it's doing something. Just not nearly what it's capable of. Almost as if it was stuck at Gen3 mode, not Gen4 mode.
I'll use This Example of sharing ports , scroll down to post 14 and 15

Apr 8, 2021
Well, I kinda had 2 8GB Ram sticks by default but my brother gave me his extra ram sticks which were another 8 and a 16, I don't think this affected it as I was getting the same speeds anyway even when I removed the extra ram
sometimes if they are different sizes, brands etc it can make it weird sometimes not even work.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you put an nvme on m.2.2 it disables Sata port 5/6. The reason for that is both those ports use a single dedicated set of pcie lanes. You either get one or the other and if the motherboard detects one, you don't get the other at all, there is no partial or swapping. The Lane is shared, not the port, so you'll not get 1/2 performance in the m.2 if there's a hdd in Sata 6,and it'll not flip-flop.

The Sabrent shows 54%. That means it's recognised and working. Any secondary ports will be dead. Period. They won't recognise any storage there, literally the Sata ports no longer exist for all intents and purposes. If you had Sata port 4 used, that's not a shared lane, that's a different lane altogether, so storage would work there, but that wouldn't affect the nvme.