Question Why is my hdd is making a weird sound when gaming ?

xXsalutXx

Reputable
Jul 29, 2016
I bought the lenovo l340 gaming laptop 4 days ago a'd everything seemed alright until i downloaded few free to play games and noticed that my hdd was making a weird ticking sound.
The game i was playing was guild wars 2 (it has an open world Idk if it can help) and i noticed that when i look in certain directions my hdd starts doing that sound (it gets lourder the more detailed the direction im looking in) and when i look at the floor it instantly stops and vice versa.

xXsalutXx

Reputable
Jul 29, 2016
bought the lenovo l340 gaming laptop 4 days ago a'd everything seemed alright until i downloaded few free to play games and noticed that my hdd was making a weird ticking sound.
The game i was playing was guild wars 2 (it has an open world Idk if it can help) and i noticed that when i look in certain directions my hdd starts doing that sound (it gets lourder the more detailed the direction im looking in) and when i look at the floor it instantly stops and vice versa.

GroundZeros

Commendable
Jun 13, 2020
thats because its loading all the data from the disc . the more stuff it needs to load the louder it gets, if it really bothers you, you can just install it on a SSD or buy a SSD, they are getting preety cheap nowadays. ive looked up your problem and its a widespread thing, and its completely normal, aldo it may get annoying you will get used to it eventually.

Reactions: xXsalutXx

xXsalutXx

Reputable
Jul 29, 2016
thats because its loading all the data from the disc . the more stuff it needs to load the louder it gets, if it really bothers you, you can just install it on a SSD or buy a SSD, they are getting preety cheap nowadays. ive looked up your problem and its a widespread thing, and its completely normal, aldo it may get annoying you will get used to it eventually.

thank you for replying ,

actually i think it's something else .by that i mean that the sound might be comming from another component. i looked up some images showing the interior of my laptop and the hdd is actually located in the opposite direction from where the noise is coming . and i think i didn't choose the right word to discribe the sound .its not a clicking/ticking sound but it's like buzzing and it goes away when i lower the game's graphics.and it doesn't only happen in open world games.

it's coming from this side:

View: https://imgur.com/a/pRnxMgO

Last edited:

xXsalutXx

Reputable
Jul 29, 2016
Open world games load assets as you play, so it should be reading data from that volume, which seems to align with what you're experiencing.

thank you for replying ,

actually i think it's something else .by that i mean that the sound might be comming from another component. i looked up some images showing the interior of my laptop and the hdd is actually located in the opposite direction from where the noise is coming . and i think i didn't choose the right word to discribe the sound .its not a clicking/ticking sound but it's like buzzing and it goes away when i lower the game's graphics. and it doesn't only happen in open world games.

it's coming from this side: