[SOLVED] Why is my i5 7600k running warmer than usual?

Jake1072

Reputable
Nov 25, 2016
I am running an i5 7600k on an MSI tomahawk z270 motherboard. When I first built my computer the CPU was running about 20 degrees Celcius with my h100i v2.
Last month I realized that I have been running idle at around 40-50 degrees. When I would run the stress test my CPU would be at 100 degrees and I would notice a lower score on the benchmarks.
My first thought was that maybe I needed to replace the thermal paste, but after doing so the temperatures never changed. Then I dusted out my computer and the radiator. After doing this the temperature did drop about 5 degrees idle. Now it is currently running at about 40-45 degrees at idle.

My first thought is that maybe the motherboard is running too much power to the CPU. I have my CPU overclocked to 4.5GHz at around 1.1v not sure if that is normal I am just using the motherboards default settings.

It is not the pump on the water cooler it is running properly and turned onto "Performance" mode using corsair link. I do not hear any air bubbles or odd noises from the pump.

Solution
"It is not the pump on the water cooler it is running properly and turned onto "Performance" mode using corsair link. I do not hear any air bubbles or odd noises from the pump."

Jake1072,

100°C is "Throttle" temperature for your i5-7600K, which accounts for the lower benchmark scores. Sorry to pop your troubleshooting bubble, but your H100i V2 has failed.

Unlike custom loops, AIO's use dissimilar metals (aluminum radiator / copper water block). This causes galvanic corrosion which produces sediments that accumulate over time, resulting in blockages and flow problems.

Since the impeller is magnetically coupled to the stator (no direct drive shaft), the unit may "appear" that it's running while the impeller is...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
"It is not the pump on the water cooler it is running properly and turned onto "Performance" mode using corsair link. I do not hear any air bubbles or odd noises from the pump."

Jake1072,

100°C is "Throttle" temperature for your i5-7600K, which accounts for the lower benchmark scores. Sorry to pop your troubleshooting bubble, but your H100i V2 has failed.

Unlike custom loops, AIO's use dissimilar metals (aluminum radiator / copper water block). This causes galvanic corrosion which produces sediments that accumulate over time, resulting in blockages and flow problems.

Since the impeller is magnetically coupled to the stator (no direct drive shaft), the unit may "appear" that it's running while the impeller is restricted or completely stalled. "Hearing" the unit running or "feeling" vibration can be deceiving as it does not necessarily indicate flow, nor does pump RPM in BIOS or various software utilities. Moreover, as fan vibration can "telegraph" throughout the entire AIO unit, it's often mistaken for pump vibration.

Without an actual in-line sensor, proper flow is difficult to verify. Under normal operation, even with the CPU at 100% workload, there should be only a minimal temperature differential between the tubes. However, if one tube is hot while the other is cool, or the water block is hot while the radiator is cool, it indicates little to no flow. Surface temperatures at various locations can be verified with an infrared (IR) thermometer.

Corsair has a 5 year warranty, so just RMA your H100i V2 for a replacement unit.

CT :sol:

Solution

Jake1072

Reputable
Nov 25, 2016

Jake1072,

Since the impeller is magnetically coupled to the stator (no direct drive shaft), the unit may "appear" that it's running while the impeller is restricted or completely stalled. "Hearing" the unit running or "feeling" vibration can be deceiving as it does not necessarily indicate flow, nor does pump RPM in BIOS or various software utilities. Moreover, as fan vibration can "telegraph" throughout the entire AIO unit, it's often mistaken for pump vibration.

Without an actual in-line sensor, proper flow is difficult to verify. Under normal operation, even with the CPU at 100% workload, there should be only a minimal temperature differential between the tubes. However, if one tube is hot while the other is cool, or the water block is hot while the radiator is cool, it indicates little to no flow. Surface temperatures at various locations can be verified with an infrared (IR) thermometer.

Corsair has a 5 year warranty, so just RMA your H100i V2 for a replacement unit.

CT :sol:
Thank you for your solution. I will be in contact with corsair for a new AIO. Weird that I only had this one for not very long and it failed. Things happen like this with technology I guess, good to know corsair backs their products with a warranty!