[SOLVED] Why is my laptop running certain games slow after not playing games on it for a couple of months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2021
So I have a Dell XPS 15 7590 (8gb ram, i7-9750H CPU, GTX 1650) and when i initially got it, it would run the games i wanted to play fine and allow me to do my uni work as well. While i know these laptops are not meant for gaming with the gpu i figured it would let me play some games but not heaps.

Now after not playing any games on it for a long time uni is finishing for the year and i tried to play some games again with some weird results. I noticed it first when playing GTA V and only getting 2 fps on the lowest settings at 720p when normally i could run it at mid to high settings at 1080p and get a stable 60fps. I then tried to play Halo and got a similar result of about 10-12 fps while playing.

I let my pc sit for a while tried a few different games like Gmod and Minecraft but those games i would get 200fps and 80fps on max settings respectively.

I have reinstalled and uninstalled all graphics drivers and the nvidia experience software, i have made sure no extra processes are running on the task manager, i used the nvidia program to check the fan span and gpu utilization and in games like GTA V, it looks like it wouldn't go higher than 2% usage.

I made sure that it is using the gpu for physx and all games are optimized im lost as what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
SOLVED it, bloody software called citrix which i used to remote into uni computers to use their 3d modelling software uninstalled it and boom gta v at relatively moderate settings 90+fps

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

First check and see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. Take note of any MEI firmware updates in between BIOS updates. Please don't jump to the latest BIOS version if you have a number of them pending, instead gradually work your way to the latest version. As for the OS, what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on(assuming you're on Windows 10)? You might want to then download the latest drivers for your GPU from Nvidia and then use DDU to remove all GPU drivers from your platform. Reboot to Safe Mode and then install your GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Nov 7, 2021
I am running windows 10 version version 21H1 i so far updated the bios as i was one update old and tried to see if any changes had occurred. As far as i could tell it was still the same in games and then using ddu in safe mode to uninstall my graphics drivers then reinstalling them hasnt helped either

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021
SOLVED it, bloody software called citrix which i used to remote into uni computers to use their 3d modelling software uninstalled it and boom gta v at relatively moderate settings 90+fps

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.