Why is my monitor not showing anything at all? Help please!!

Sheldon Thomas

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
Hi, I just got a pre-built iBuypower gaming PC with a new monitor today and I set up everything and put everything together from VGA to HDMI, but nothing is working. The monitor is still black. The only time the monitor shows something is when I turn it on after a few seconds in which it flashes its logos and goes black and then my power LED for the monitor starts blinking blue. My friends told me that PROBABLY my graphics card is not sending a signal to my monitor (I also tried this on my old monitor and it still didn't show anything on the screen at all.) How do I fix this? I don't really know anything about computers THAT much so if you tell me to dissemble can you please tell me how to? I just want my monitor to show something from my tower. My tower is working completely fine. The fans and everything is going and turns on perfectly. It's just that monitor that is not working and I don't know what to do anymore after working on this for 8 hours. I've had this new computer sitting in my house for that long and have not actually been on it at all whatsoever and it's killing me. I also really need to know what is causing the problem because worse-case scenario I have to either return the computer or the monitor for not working pronto.

Solution
Try the new monitor on a different video source, such as another computer or even a notebook. If the monitor works ok, then this isolates the issue to your new computer.

Next, try your computer on a different monitor. If it does not work, then the issue is not the monitor.

Then, try a different gpu in your computer, and also try the gpu in a different computer.

This will systematically isolate the issue to the monitor, or the computer, and in turn the gpu or not.
Try the new monitor on a different video source, such as another computer or even a notebook. If the monitor works ok, then this isolates the issue to your new computer.

Next, try your computer on a different monitor. If it does not work, then the issue is not the monitor.

Then, try a different gpu in your computer, and also try the gpu in a different computer.

This will systematically isolate the issue to the monitor, or the computer, and in turn the gpu or not.

Solution

Sheldon Thomas

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
I'm trying to unscrew the mount thing, but I have no screwdrivers that fit it. It just doesn't wanna unscrew for some reason. Weird. And I feel like I'm going accidental pierce my screwdriver through my graphics driver if I try to unscrew the black mount thing that my graphics card is merged with. I have a MSI GTX 750 2GB if that matters.