Question Why is my new notebook screen not being correctly detected by Windows 10?

Dec 13, 2019
Hi all,

I've replaced my broken Dell notebook screen with the "same" model (meanwhile upgraded by the same manufacturer - BOE - ) and since then I can't use the new screen except when forcing Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver to be installed, instead of the latest version of Intel UHD Graphics 620.

I'm an experienced user so I've disabled, uninstalled, reinstalled etc. all possible drivers and combinations but every time that this Intel driver is installed the screen goes black and I can only work with my external monitor (connected via HDMI).

I know the primary display is ON because it's being detected on Advanced Display, but the Active Signal Resolution is wrong and impossible (?) to change.

I had a BOE NV156FHM-N35 screen and as mentioned before I've replaced it with the same but more recent version BOE NV156FHM-N45, basically same specs, connection type, etc. so I thought it shouldn't be a problem just to replace it myself.

So, long story short, if using the general Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver, the computer can't recognize anything else connected via HDMI, if using the latest Intel UHD Graphics 620 driver, the primary monitor doesn't show any image.

I actually believe this may be also an issue related with the wrongly detected "Active Signal Resolution", since the new display it's being automatically set to 1024x768 instead of 1920x1080. When I reassemble the old (crashed) display, it still detects it correctly.

Any ideas how to solve this conundrum? Thanks in advance.

Dell Inspiron 7570 / Windows 10 / Windows Version 1909