Question Why is my Nvidia HDMI keeping my Realtek audio from working?

queentut

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
UPDATE: Well, the practical problem is solved-- there was physical damage to the motherboard out. It's now working. Still cant figure out where the HDMI signal is coming from, but I don't care. Thanks to the responders!

I have a Dell desktop with an Nvidea video card. I use a TV as a monitor, attached to the Nvidea HDMI out, and an external sound system attached to the Realtek motherboard outputs. This has worked fine for years.
Now, I can't get any sound from the Realtek outs, even when I've selected them and disabled the Nvidea out. The sound somehow keeps coming through the HDMI only, regardless of the output choice. I've reinstalled the Realtek drivers, and they're working to some extent as they show a popup when I plug into them, but no sound output. Aby thoughts?

Last edited:

KyaraM

Admirable
Right-click on the sound button on the task bar, choose volume mixer. Check that it is set to the Realtek-device. Then, go to Sound in the same right-click menu you previously opened the mixer from. Disable all devices listed there. That should (hopefully) do the trick.

Edit:
Also check sound settings.

queentut

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Right-click on the sound button on the task bar, choose volume mixer. Check that it is set to the Realtek-device. Then, go to Sound in the same right-click menu you previously opened the mixer from. Disable all devices listed there. That should (hopefully) do the trick.

Edit:
Also check sound settings.

queentut

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I've already chosen the Realtek and disabled everything else. Realtek is the only choice that shows in the volume mixer and sound settings. But the only sound output is thru HDMI.