[SOLVED] Why is my pc not perfoming right after re-installing cpu

Feb 26, 2019
I recenetly purchased a used 3770k to take the lga1155 platform as far as it can go but the i7 didn't work and needed to put my 3570k back in. When I booted up frame rates were nearly half what they were. I don't know if ive damged something as my itx case is fiddly to work in.
The cpu temps are normal with fresh arctic silver paste. I recently put in 16gb of 2400 MHz corsair vengeance ram as well as the 3770 k but that was working ok with the 3570k.
One possible thing that could have caused a problem is that a dropped a small screw on the motherboard next to the cpu socket and it took some fishing out but the 3570 k registers with all 4 cores and works on the same 4.2 ghz overclock as before but frame rates are no where near as before. Its almost as if its running on 2 cores with a massive bottleneck with constant dips and the framerates don't seem to want to go beyond 70 fps, even looking at the sky which would usually return framerates in the 100's.
If any one can with this id be very thankful as it is really frustrating and will have to buy another system is I cant resolve.

Specs are as follows

3570k @ 4.2
16gb 2400mhz corsair vengeance on XMP and before 8gb 1600mhz hyper x blue
gigabyte z77n wifi mitx motherboard
corsair cx600 power supply
250gb Samsung 840 ssd
bitfenix prodigy case
coolermaster seidon 120v v1 aio water cooler
evga 1060 3gb sc video card

Solution
Is all of the memory still showing up as usable? If half of the memory is missing/reserved, then something happened to one of the memory channels and you are now running single-channel on 8GB instead of 16GB. That would explain many performance problems.
I would make sure you didn't bend any socket pins. This can cause instability, underperformance, and overclocks to work worse than before. I would also try to reinstall all drivers and make sure your bios settings are as they should since CMOS could have been cleared when new CPU installed.

InvalidError

Titan
Is all of the memory still showing up as usable? If half of the memory is missing/reserved, then something happened to one of the memory channels and you are now running single-channel on 8GB instead of 16GB. That would explain many performance problems.

Solution