Question Why is my PC not recognizing my SSD?

timbo59

Honorable
Apr 19, 2016
I recently purchased a Sabrent dual docking station with the idea of cloning my existing HDD to an SSD of equal size. I was then going to install the SSD as the main drive on my PC, in addition to a larger HDD I was also going to install for basic storage.

Only problem is that I can't get my PC to recognize the SSD. If I slot a regular HDD into the Sabrent it automatically shows up on My Computer. But if I put the SSD into the Sabrent nothing shows at all. I thought that maybe I received a dud SSD so I ordered another one from a different manufacturer (the first was a WD Blue, the second a Sandisk SSD Plus) but I ran into the same problem - it won't show up on My Computer. I've looked for it on Device Manager, listed everything via Belarc Adviser - the SSDs simply aren't showing up. Yet as far as the Sabrent is concerned they're connecting, because when I insert either of them in the blue light comes on.

I've never done this before, so am I missing some basic step that's required to initiate them? It just seems odd that both HDD and SSD perform the same basic function, yet my PC automatically detects one, but not the other.

Oh, and just in case it's a factor, I still use Windows 7 - I'm one of those holdouts who hates Windows 10 and can't see why MS felt it had to change 7 so drastically when it was so solid. I know, MS no longer supports it and there's security issues, but I'm sticking with it as long as I can. :)

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

timbo59

Honorable
Apr 19, 2016
As I said in the OP, my PC sees conventional HDDs when they're inserted in the Sabrent unit. The unit also light up when I insert SSDs - but my PC doesn't see them.

I made it abundantly clear in my OP that it's not appearing anywhere on my PC either in Device manager, Belarc Adviser, or any other program I use to try and track it.
It's an important question, if the drive is appearing in Disk Management.

In "My computer" the drive would appear only, if it is partitioned/formatted and drive letter assigned. Unpartitioned drive will not appear there.
In Device Manager it would probably appear as some Sabrent USB drive.
Belarc Adviser - haven't seen/don't use that, some random software, who cares.

TLDR
Show screenshot from Disk Management (upload to imgur.com and post link).
Also screenshot from Device Manager - disk drives section expanded.
Also screenshot from Windows storage spaces.