[SOLVED] Why is my PC shutdown itself then restarts on its own?

MarkLawrence_1993

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
As the title suggests, my pc just months ago started to shutdown on its own then restarts. This doesn't happen before and when i say it shutsdown meaning it abruptly powers off like all of my rgbs on all my peripherals and on the case turn its lights off (not windows showing shutdown screen) then after few seconds it powers back on. The shutdowns are very random, the first times it happened is very frequent like after a few 10 or 15 mins but after i clean reinstalled windows its now at every few hours like 5 or 8 hrs. At first i thought it was software related but it turns out that its not. I tried everything and now my last suspect is the power supply. It is a Corsair AX 1200i psu. I also noticed that its self test button lights up green when my pc is turned on, is this normal? Please help as im running out of ideas already.

Solution
I had the same issue happen on Sunday after adding a new SSD to my operating system. The computer kept turning on and off every 10 seconds or so. I pulled the SATA cables on all of the drives and tried again and it still happened. I then pulled the power cord from the motherboard and tried again and it fixed the issue. Try pulling the power cord from the motherboard and plug it back in and see if that fixes the issue.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Why is the last suspect Power supply? What else have you tried up to this point?

Random restarts can be anything, but are most commonly PSU problems, the AXi are a good range, but it can also depend on how long you have had it.
If you have eradicated software, and all other hardware, just replace the PSU, I believe the AXi line should have a 10 year warranty.
But this depends on the above questions.

MarkLawrence_1993

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
Why is the last suspect Power supply? What else have you tried up to this point?

Random restarts can be anything, but are most commonly PSU problems, the AXi are a good range, but it can also depend on how long you have had it.
If you have eradicated software, and all other hardware, just replace the PSU, I believe the AXi line should have a 10 year warranty.
But this depends on the above questions.
I ruled out the PSU as the culprit because i already had tried reformatting windows but still it didn't resolved the restarting issue. I also tried plugging the power cord of the PSU direct to the socket to see if the UPS might causing it to shutdown suddenly but still didn't resolve it. I also check my temperature monitoring software and all temps are all within safe operating range (i even had a liquid cooler so overheating is really not the issue). I also tried the built-in "windows memory diagnostic" on windows 7 to see if it might be an incompatible ram but it returns normal result. So thats the reason i ruled out PSU as the culprit. My PSU is relatively new like no more than 8 months. I purchased that PSU to my local computer store and not directly with Corsair. Should i RMA it to Corsair or to my local computer store only? Also my question about the self test led bulb on the PSU lighting up during pc operation, is it normal?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I ruled out the PSU as the culprit because i already had tried reformatting windows but still it didn't resolved the restarting issue. I also tried plugging the power cord of the PSU direct to the socket to see if the UPS might causing it to shutdown suddenly but still didn't resolve it. I also check my temperature monitoring software and all temps are all within safe operating range (i even had a liquid cooler so overheating is really not the issue). I also tried the built-in "windows memory diagnostic" on windows 7 to see if it might be an incompatible ram but it returns normal result. So thats the reason i ruled out PSU as the culprit. My PSU is relatively new like no more than 8 months. I purchased that PSU to my local computer store and not directly with Corsair. Should i RMA it to Corsair or to my local computer store only? Also my question about the self test led bulb on the PSU lighting up during pc operation, is it normal?
What is the rest of your system spec?
Windows Memory diagnostic isn't a guaranteed, but it's a good indicator.
Can you run without GPU?

I can't say I'm certain on the self test bulb, however I know that it is supposed to light up during self test to indicate it is working, so it would well be that it is meant to stay on.

MarkLawrence_1993

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
What is the rest of your system spec?
Windows Memory diagnostic isn't a guaranteed, but it's a good indicator.
Can you run without GPU?

I can't say I'm certain on the self test bulb, however I know that it is supposed to light up during self test to indicate it is working, so it would well be that it is meant to stay on.
Intel I7 6700k 4.0Ghz (stock)
Nvidia RTX 2080 ASUS card
32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB (stock)
500 GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
2 TB WD Caviar Black HDD 7200 RPM
Corsair AX 1200i fully modular PSU
Corsair H115i Liquid CPU Cooler

Haven't tried operating the PC without the GPU yet, but do you think it has something to do with my shutdown issues?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Intel I7 6700k 4.0Ghz (stock)
Nvidia RTX 2080ti ASUS card
32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB (stock)
500 GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
Run without a GPU first, then if that still has the same result, go down to 1 memory module.
If the issue persists, I would RMA the PSU to Corsair directly - they do have excellent support and can ship out a new one quickly for a deposit.

MarkLawrence_1993

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
Run without a GPU first, then if that still has the same result, go down to 1 memory module.
If the issue persists, I would RMA the PSU to Corsair directly - they do have excellent support and can ship out a new one quickly for a deposit.
ill be trying your suggestions but i think it would take to long as the randoms restarts may happen anytime it wants (5hrs or 8 hrs) but i hope i can pinpoint the issue by following your suggestions. Will be updating soon.

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I had the same issue happen on Sunday after adding a new SSD to my operating system. The computer kept turning on and off every 10 seconds or so. I pulled the SATA cables on all of the drives and tried again and it still happened. I then pulled the power cord from the motherboard and tried again and it fixed the issue. Try pulling the power cord from the motherboard and plug it back in and see if that fixes the issue.

Solution

MarkLawrence_1993

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
By the word power cord u meant the 24 pins or the 8 pins?

Followup question, do corsair support remove the manage/ create ticket in their website? I was planning to contact CORSAIR by creating a ticket then requesting an RMA for a possible replacement of my PSU. Last April 2019 i also made an RMA of my defective cpu cooler by creating ticket but somewhat late in June i noticed that I cant find anywhere on the corsair website to create a ticket. Did they delibarately remove it? Please help, as doing an RMA might be my last chance of fixing this issue.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Followup question, do corsair support remove the manage/ create ticket in their website? I was planning to contact CORSAIR by creating a ticket then requesting an RMA for a possible replacement of my PSU. Last April 2019 i also made an RMA of my defective cpu cooler by creating ticket but somewhat late in June i noticed that I cant find anywhere on the corsair website to create a ticket. Did they delibarately remove it? Please help, as doing an RMA might be my last chance of fixing this issue.
They would have closed it, that's all.

Also the 24pin removal and reinsertion without maybe a power cycle probably only confirms that the thing wasn't plugged in properly in the first place. Which of course is worth checking.

MarkLawrence_1993

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
They would have closed it, that's all.

Also the 24pin removal and reinsertion without maybe a power cycle probably only confirms that the thing wasn't plugged in properly in the first place. Which of course is worth checking.
Why the hell would they close it? How will their clients be able to contact them or do an RMA? I live in the Philippines and could not contact them thru hotline of tollfree number.

Yes ill be trying to remove then replug the 24pin as well as the 8 pin just to be sure, but i haven't removed these plugs ever since they are assembled since Dec 2018. Sorry if i cant do the troubleshooting immediately as i dont have that much time (only on sat and sunday may i be able to do your suggestions) but i sure do give updates here.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Why the hell would they close it? How will their clients be able to contact them or do an RMA? I live in the Philippines and could not contact them thru hotline of tollfree number.

Yes ill be trying to remove then replug the 24pin as well as the 8 pin just to be sure, but i haven't removed these plugs ever since they are assembled since Dec 2018. Sorry if i cant do the troubleshooting immediately as i dont have that much time (only on sat and sunday may i be able to do your suggestions) but i sure do give updates here.
They will close them once they are resolved or if there is no response for so many days - so that they can prioritise other tickets.

Don't worry, I just hope we can help get it sorted! Let us know when you find out more.

MarkLawrence_1993

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
They will close them once they are resolved or if there is no response for so many days - so that they can prioritise other tickets.

Don't worry, I just hope we can help get it sorted! Let us know when you find out more.
I didn't even made a ticket yet so there's no reason for it to be closed. I just can't find where to create the ticket in their website.

Thanks for the quick reponses tho. Hope that all this will be over soon.

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

The 24 pin is the one I am talking about. You can also try the same on the 8 pin one as well. Mine was the same as yours where I had not touched it since the day I installed it back in June of 2013. Sometimes a power cycle issue can happen and doing this simple step could correct the power on and off issue. Let me know if it works once you have time to give it a try. As for Corsair I never had an issue with my PSU (knock on wood) so I never had to contact them for anything.

Take a look at this page as it should give you the answers you are looking for. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/warranty

MarkLawrence_1993

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us
Make an account on the support page, not the main corsair page.
I did already. Logged in to their support page but the manage or create tickets is no where to be seen in there.

Anyways i did the unplugging and replugging of the 24 & 8 pin connections from my motherboard since 2 days ago and so far the restarts has not occured yet. I'm still a bit skeptical but i'm hoping that what i did is finally the solution to my problem. I'll still keep you posted. Thanks!

Last edited:

MarkLawrence_1993

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
The 24 pin is the one I am talking about. You can also try the same on the 8 pin one as well. Mine was the same as yours where I had not touched it since the day I installed it back in June of 2013. Sometimes a power cycle issue can happen and doing this simple step could correct the power on and off issue. Let me know if it works once you have time to give it a try. As for Corsair I never had an issue with my PSU (knock on wood) so I never had to contact them for anything.

Take a look at this page as it should give you the answers you are looking for. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/warranty
I already did what you suggested, replugged both the 24 & 8 pin connections from my motherboard since 2 days ago and so far no restarts occured yet. Still a bit skeptical for now but since you said that you did not touched your connections since long ago made me feel that it might really be possible that a replugging might solve this dillema of mine. As i said restarts occur at very random moments so still be doing an observation to see if this really solved my problem. Thanks man and I will be back to give updates.

Reactions: Walt1227

MarkLawrence_1993

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
Thanks for all the help guys! Its almost 2 weeks since i unplug and replugged my 24pin and 8pin connections on my motherboard and since then there are no restarts occuring anymore. This really solved my problem. Thanks!