[SOLVED] Why is my PC shutting down when launching a game? (Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap)

kyleturner02

Prominent
Jun 17, 2018
Specs:

Intel 2600k
AMD Radeon RX 580 8gb
Asrock p67 Pro 3
16GB DDR3 Ram
Samsung 500GB SSD
Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive
Thermaltake 650W Silver
5 Case fans
CPU Corsair AIO Water Cooling

Recently my PC has been restarting while gaming. The first time this happened was when I tried to change my resolution on CSGO a few months ago. This problem still happens. I can't change my resolution in CSGO without my PC screen going black for about 10 seconds then the PC completely restarting itself.

This problem is happening again but on a different game. I can't launch Red Dead Redemption 2 without it doing the same restart process. Although RDR2 has been having launch issues with players, I haven't found a single person having this exact same problem so I believe this is a problem with my PC.

I ran my PC through WhoCrashed and the report is saying the crash is being caused by 'Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap'.

The main thing I suspect why this is happening is the fairly high temperatures of my GPU when under load. When Idle, my GPU typically runs at 35-45 degrees celsius. But when gaming (e.g. Modern Warfare) my GPU temps range from 85-90 degrees celsius.

The troubleshooting I've tried so far is resetting my BIOS (PC isn't overclocked), reinstalling my graphics drivers, cleaned the dust out of my PC, as well as lowering the core clock of my GPU and increasing the fan curve in MSI Afterburner.

I don't think it's a problem with my CPU or ram because my CPU temps are much more stable then my GPU (45-55 when gaming), and I ran the system Windows Memory DIagnostic earlier which found no problems with my ram.

As I said, I believe the crashing is happening due to my high GPU temps but I'm not entirely certain. It could also be a problem with the power supply.

Any Ideas? Thanks.

Solution
Like you said the problem may be from the GPU, or the PSU too.

Try to set the GPU power limit little bit lower by the MSI afterburner. Or tweak the GPU speed, voltage, etc.

Also test the PC with other PSU, if you have one. Go into the bios, in pc hardware monitor or pc health monitor section, check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. If those voltages are not within +/- 5% , the PSU has problem.
Like you said the problem may be from the GPU, or the PSU too.

Try to set the GPU power limit little bit lower by the MSI afterburner. Or tweak the GPU speed, voltage, etc.

Also test the PC with other PSU, if you have one. Go into the bios, in pc hardware monitor or pc health monitor section, check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. If those voltages are not within +/- 5% , the PSU has problem.

Reactions: kyleturner02
Solution

kyleturner02

Prominent
Jun 17, 2018
View: https://imgur.com/a/EMF03hL

These are my MSI afterburner settings. I turned the voltage down to -12, the power limit to -7, and turned the core clock down to down by about 200. Did I not turn them down enough?

I went inside the BIOs and these were my PSU voltages:

Vcore: +1.152

+ 12.00: +12.144

+ 5.00V: +5.184

+ 3.30V: +3.408

Judging by these voltages my PSU seems fine, as none of them are above 5%.

I don't currently have another PSU lying around but I could borrow one from the guy that built the PC for me.

Anyways, after these changes, my PC is still restarting itself after launching RDR2.

I'm also going to update my BIOS to the latest version. But other than that I'm not sure what else I could try.

Thanks for the help. Do you have any other ideas?

Edit: I just checked and I already have the latest version of my BIOS, so I can't update it.

Last edited:

kyleturner02

Prominent
Jun 17, 2018
I installed the 1TB Western Digital hard drive about 6 months ago. Do you need to update anything for hard drives? I checked the Western Digital website and couldn't find any drivers/updates that needed to be installed.

kyleturner02

Prominent
Jun 17, 2018
I tried Memtest. I ended up doing 10 tests which lasted about an hour and it didn't find a single error. I'm pretty certain the RAM isn't the problem.

At this point, I've pretty much tried everything to fix this problem.

I'm giving the PC back to the guy who built it and he's going to switch out the GPU and PSU for other parts and he'll hopefully identify the problem.

My guess is the PSU is faulty, or the GPU is overheating and the PC is crashing as a result.

Thanks for the help.