[SOLVED] Why is my pc underperforming below average in benchmarks and less fps than in tests?

StarryMeteor751

Prominent
Dec 15, 2022
I have a 6700xt that i recently upgraded from a gtx 1650, paired with an i5-10400, in videos that test these components and in benchmarks, the average scores and fps are always above what i get, how do i know the problem with my pc and why its under the average?

you can never trust youtube, etc videos promoting specific hardware/combinations because you never actually know what this user has done regarding overclocks or other manual upgrades or even if they are using designated hardware for sure.

hardware benchmarks from sites like userbenchmark.com are a slightly better avenue for comparison but still, again you have no idea what these users may really have in place in regards to overclocks, etc.

you also have downloads like 3DMark you can try.
6700xt that i recently upgraded from a gtx 1650, paired with an i5-10400
this is still a low performance setup.
what type of performance are you expecting, in what games, with what type of in-game settings(resolution, etc)?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I have a 6700xt that i recently upgraded from a gtx 1650, paired with an i5-10400, in videos that test these components and in benchmarks, the average scores and fps are always above what i get, how do i know the problem with my pc and why its under the average?

You're asking us to compare mystery benchmarks we can't see to other mystery benchmarks we can't see.

If you want to go down this troubleshooting route, show data of both your tests and the videos you're comparing to, with screenshots to demonstrate you're in fact using the same hardware and exactly same test settings.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

StarryMeteor751

Prominent
Dec 15, 2022
you can never trust youtube, etc videos promoting specific hardware/combinations because you never actually know what this user has done regarding overclocks or other manual upgrades or even if they are using designated hardware for sure.

hardware benchmarks from sites like userbenchmark.com are a slightly better avenue for comparison but still, again you have no idea what these users may really have in place in regards to overclocks, etc.

what type of performance are you expecting, in what games, with what type of in-game settings(resolution, etc)?
What component should i upgrade for better performance? Also Ill upload the benchmarks ASAP but i cant right now

What component should i upgrade for better performance?
the RX 6700XT was a mid-tiered card a couple years ago.
for 1080p, 60fps, medium setting gaming it would probably still be considered decent.
but anything under 1440p, 100fps, ultra settings these days is not considered so.

the i5-10400 is also a low tiered processor.
even upon release it wasn't recommended for decent quality gaming.

considering you went low budget with other components we could only guess that you also have lower performance memory, a cheap power supply, and probably less efficient cooling.
but you would need to provide the complete system specs for anyone to really know.

StarryMeteor751

Prominent
Dec 15, 2022

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/59087318

Feb 10, 2023
Because you're playing on 1680x1050 your CPU is most likely causing an throttle issue which makes your system underperform. Also it seems like you have 1x32 GB's of ram which makes the system work with single channel. Mainly all of the videos in youtube are using Dual Channel rams which are giving increase in performance. If there is not a huge difference in FPS values, They are most likely to be caused by those two reasons. I would recommend getting another 1x32 stick of ram, or selling the one which you have and getting 2x16 one. Also upgrading your CPU to something like i5-12400F or Ryzen 5 5600 would help with throttle issues if you're having that issue. Or you can upgrade your resolution/monitor to 2560x1440 or 1920x1080. Preferably an CPU improvement would be nicer.

StarryMeteor751

Prominent
Dec 15, 2022
Because you're playing on 1680x1050 your CPU is most likely causing an throttle issue which makes your system underperform. Also it seems like you have 1x32 GB's of ram which makes the system work with single channel. Mainly all of the videos in youtube are using Dual Channel rams which are giving increase in performance. If there is not a huge difference in FPS values, They are most likely to be caused by those two reasons. I would recommend getting another 1x32 stick of ram, or selling the one which you have and getting 2x16 one. Also upgrading your CPU to something like i5-12400F or Ryzen 5 5600 would help with throttle issues if you're having that issue. Or you can upgrade your resolution/monitor to 2560x1440 or 1920x1080. Preferably an CPU improvement would be nicer.
Well the quicker solution seems to get a new monitor so ill start with that, then a soon as i can ill upgrade my cpu

Feb 10, 2023
Well the quicker solution seems to get a new monitor so ill start with that, then a soon as i can ill upgrade my cpu
Can you play a properly optimized AAA game like God of war or Dead Space Remake or any other titles and record a video for like 2-3 minutes with MSI Afterburner with the details of CPU Usage, GPU Usage, GPU Watt usage, CPU Watt usage, Cores of CPU Usages and Frame Time graph? That might show if you have huge throttle issues or not? I doubt there will be no issue but it's good to see beforehand.

StarryMeteor751

Prominent
Dec 15, 2022
Can you play a properly optimized AAA game like God of war or Dead Space Remake or any other titles and record a video for like 2-3 minutes with MSI Afterburner with the details of CPU Usage, GPU Usage, GPU Watt usage, CPU Watt usage, Cores of CPU Usages and Frame Time graph? That might show if you have huge throttle issues or not? I doubt there will be no issue but it's good to see beforehand.
Yeah but when I record the MSI afterburner details dissapear, how do I keep them in videos?

the RX 6700XT was a mid-tiered card a couple years ago.
for 1080p, 60fps, medium setting gaming it would probably still be considered decent.

Example YouTube benchmarks : I'm not going through it all, but picking out some of the most demanding games currently there's 80 fps in God of War 1440p Ultra, 100 fps in Dying Light 2 1440p High, 80 fps in Spiderman Remastered 1440p v.high...

I run one at 1080p and can max out everything without a second thought and 60fps is occasionally the minimum (not average) on my most demanding games. While I'm sure it doesn't match up to the $1500 card in your signature, I'd hardly label it a "decent 1080p/60 fps/medium" card.

Besides, the OP's issue is that their benchmarks are below the average of benchmarks taken on the same components, not the average of the currently available graphics cards.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Example YouTube benchmarks : I'm not going through it all, but picking out some of the most demanding games currently there's 80 fps in God of War 1440p Ultra, 100 fps in Dying Light 2 1440p High, 80 fps in Spiderman Remastered 1440p v.high...

I run one at 1080p and can max out everything without a second thought and 60fps is occasionally the minimum (not average) on my most demanding games. While I'm sure it doesn't match up to the $1500 card in your signature, I'd hardly label it a "decent 1080p/60 fps/medium" card.

Besides, the OP's issue is that their benchmarks are below the average of benchmarks taken on the same components, not the average of the currently available graphics cards.
The OP's problem is his processor is not boosting to the all core boost speed of 4.3 probably heat throttling., and single channel memory just at 2400 needs to enable XMP (2666 is the max for his memory with that board)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Does it work, play, make enough fps to be enjoyable? That's all that matters. It doesn't matter what anyone else gets.

Gotta figure that most ppl using benchmark test sites like UBM aren't just there posting numbers to see where they stand, those type ppl could generally care less. Mostly it's ppl who have tweaked systems for better performance. They'll have gone through windows and turned off/disabled many of what you'd consider normal use startup stuff, like Cortana, windows tiles, one drive, Adobe, they'll change cpu/bios settings like PBO (which do not show up in UBM) added higher grade cooling (which lowers temps, so adds boost), tweaked/undervolted (which doesn't show up in UBM, lowers temps, improves boost) etc etc.

You aren't in comparison with 2 cars straight off the dealership lot, you compare your new car stock car to one that's had exhaust work, computer tuning, and is running race gas and slick super wide tires. You are going to come in second place no matter what.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
my advice firstly check all of your components run 2 sticks of 8gb at the very least make sure your cooler is suitable for the cpu make sure youre psu is suitable.,,
Enable xmp and in some boards bios resizeable bar
update all your drivers and bios ..
also have your own expectations of what you want when you upgrade the 6700xt is a great 1080p 1440p card and some of these reviews can be dodgy ususally Gamers Nexus or hardware unboxed give pretty spot on numbers ..
but also remember its not like comparing apples to apples, temps , situations , OC , case can all effect how your PC performs at any given time and can and most likely will change
take user bench mark pc testing i can go from 200% to 230% then back down to 190% with the same test no changes !!

The OP's problem is his processor is not boosting to the all core boost speed of 4.3 probably heat throttling., and single channel memory just at 2400 needs to enable XMP (2666 is the max for his memory with that board)
I'm not very familiar with Userbenchmark, but looking at the list of most recent 10400 tests it always seems to report the "avg" turbo as 3.9 - 4 GHz, so not as high as 4.3 GHz but definitely higher than the OP's report. The high background CPU might be something to do with that.

Running single channel 2400 MHz is definitely not ideal but 2666 MHz won't be much of a boost. Worth doing but it might not resolve anything. Maybe the OP is comparing to 3200+ MHz systems and that's the problem. They say it's always below average but not by how much.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
They say it's always below average
So? Look at the word, Average. By its very definition its just a median amount. Meaning some will be below that and some will be above. It in no way implies there's something wrong if you do not get Average or better results.

Imagine that UBM gives results against 100 similar builds. 50% of those being bone stock, untampered, default windows settings etc. The remaining 50% being tweaked pc's. The 50 ppl with bone stock will be a very tight range, on a scale of 1-10, a solid 3 because they all are running basically the same. The 50 tweakers will spread from 4-10.

That puts the average at @ 5. Meaning every single one of the 50% bone stockers is running well below the "Average", even though there's absolutely nothing wrong with the pc, it's performance is exactly what it should be.

Meaning the "Averages" graphs need to be taken as a whole, and finding the proximity of where the individual components actually sit and what they are actually doing gives a better picture.

Just saying Op should ditch the 10400 in favor of a 12400 is absolutely pointless if he has so much crud running around in usage/start that the 12400 is slowed down to the same level as a good running 10400 cpu. Better to find Op's actual issues, even if it's nothing more than Op hasn't cleaned out his temp files in 3 years or done any other basic windows cleaning or maintenance.
All core turbo on that cpu is @ 3.95-4.0GHz. 4.3GHz is 1-2 core turbo. Right now, Op's issue is with whatever is causing an 'average' of 3.4GHz turbo, which I agree could very well be thermal throttle since 1-2 core scores are very good, but go down hill after more cores are brought online.

Last edited:
So? Look at the word, Average. By its very definition its just a median amount. Meaning some will be below that and some will be above. It in no way implies there's something wrong if you do not get Average or better results....
It obviously can imply that (note, I say 'can', not 'does'). A bunch of identical components are put together. Among the below average ones there may be some that have been put together badly. So a below average one may possibly be improved. You say yourself he might have e.g. thermal issues.

Just saying Op should ditch the 10400 in favor of a 12400 is absolutely pointless...
Good job I didn't say anything of the kind then.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It obviously can imply that (note, I say 'can', not 'does'). A bunch of identical components are put together. Among the below average ones there may be some that have been put together badly. So a below average one may possibly be improved. You say yourself he might have e.g. thermal issues.

Good job I didn't say anything of the kind then.
Trying to figure out how 'there may be some put together badly' if otherwise identical. If ram isn't seated, it'll not work, same for cpu, gpu or anything else. You can't put components together halfway. They either work as intended, within their respective operating ranges, or they don't. There isn't a middle ground. If everything is installed correctly, and working as it should, then hardware is not the issue, but software and/or settings is the culprit.

Thermal issues, that's a big if. OP could have mounted the cooler badly, pasted badly, or have software/bios settings for the fan set too low, airflow isn't the issue or the gpu would be suffering too. Since the components are identical. Or could simply be Op is using the stock cooler and most others have upgraded to a better performance aftermarket cooler.

StarryMeteor751

Prominent
Dec 15, 2022
Trying to figure out how 'there may be some put together badly' if otherwise identical. If ram isn't seated, it'll not work, same for cpu, gpu or anything else. You can't put components together halfway. They either work as intended, within their respective operating ranges, or they don't. There isn't a middle ground. If everything is installed correctly, and working as it should, then hardware is not the issue, but software and/or settings is the culprit.

Thermal issues, that's a big if. OP could have mounted the cooler badly, pasted badly, or have software/bios settings for the fan set too low, airflow isn't the issue or the gpu would be suffering too. Since the components are identical. Or could simply be Op is using the stock cooler and most others have upgraded to a better performance aftermarket cooler.
I do have the intel stock cooler, but in a year or so I plan to upgrade my cpu to another 10th generation cpu since its what my motherboard is made for, when I do upgrade my cpu ill check out the fan stuff.

StarryMeteor751

Prominent
Dec 15, 2022
So I changed to a 1920x1080p monitor but its still the same, I did realize that my cpu util while playing games is around 3-13% so idk if its something to with that