[SOLVED] Why is my pc's fan going full speed at 72 degrees?

Jun 5, 2020
Hello all, recently I have been getting a problem. It seems like my pc's fan speed goes to full when playing games. I noticed that the fans were mostly going full speed at 72 degrees. It does sometimes go up to 80 but quickly down to 70~ but the fans don't go to full speed. The games are maybe GTA V, Tomb Raider and such but they used to be fine. I did move so maybe the house had to do something with it. I have the balanced power setting too.
I have a Ryzen 2700X ~3.7Ghz and has stock cooler. There is 1 CPU fan and 3 case fans. Should I get more fans or re-apply thermal paste?

Solution
D
thanks for clearing up the temperatures are fine, but the one I'm most annoyed/worried about is the fans. It just goes to full power in about 72 degrees. Thanks for the reply.
Ryzen stock fans are notorious for changing fan speed constantly especially under hot temperatures, nothing you can really do about it other than getting an aftermarket cooler.

hambuckles31

Prominent
Nov 7, 2018
Hello all, recently I have been getting a problem. It seems like my pc's fan speed goes to full when playing games. I noticed that the fans were mostly going full speed at 72 degrees. It does sometimes go up to 80 but quickly down to 70~ but the fans don't go to full speed. The games are maybe GTA V, Tomb Raider and such but they used to be fine. I did move so maybe the house had to do something with it. I have the balanced power setting too.
I have a Ryzen 2700X ~3.7Ghz and has stock cooler. There is 1 CPU fan and 3 case fans. Should I get more fans or re-apply thermal paste?
What temp were you getting before

Your temps a absolutely normal for this CPU on the stock cooler (I have the CPU and had the cooler), you said you moved house so is it warmer there as in your previous home by a few degrees? Even a 2-3c change in room ambient temp can add an extra 10c in the PC when gaming so the fans have to work a little harder.

When moving it is always adviseable to check that everything is properly seated as it is soooo easy for something to get loose in the process of packing and carrying no matter how careful one is.

So your temps are fine, check and if in doubt reseat the cooler and apply paste but you have no great issue, and an exrta fan is never a bad idea and may let you set a slightly quieter fan setting in BIOS. I read here from a Titan once you can have cool or quiet but never both,.... there is always a trade off until you find what you are happy with !!!

Jun 5, 2020
Your temps a absolutely normal for this CPU on the stock cooler (I have the CPU and had the cooler), you said you moved house so is it warmer there as in your previous home by a few degrees? Even a 2-3c change in room ambient temp can add an extra 10c in the PC when gaming so the fans have to work a little harder.

When moving it is always adviseable to check that everything is properly seated as it is soooo easy for something to get loose in the process of packing and carrying no matter how careful one is.

So your temps are fine, check and if in doubt reseat the cooler and apply paste but you have no great issue, and an exrta fan is never a bad idea and may let you set a slightly quieter fan setting in BIOS. I read here from a Titan once you can have cool or quiet but never both,.... there is always a trade off until you find what you are happy with !!!
thanks for clearing up the temperatures are fine, but the one I'm most annoyed/worried about is the fans. It just goes to full power in about 72 degrees. Thanks for the reply.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Ryzen stock fans are notorious for changing fan speed constantly especially under hot temperatures, nothing you can really do about it other than getting an aftermarket cooler.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2720853

You could change the fan curve in BIOS to get a better balance between niose/cooling. The stock fan only "ramps" up to the settings set in the BIOS which have been set so it has nothing to do with the cooler itself but rather the fan curve settings which it is working to.
It appears I stand corrected.

Jun 5, 2020
It appears I stand corrected.
I've tried to mess around in BIOS fan settings but they don't seem to work. It only detects the CPU fan and case fan 1. I have two more case fans though.
My motherboard is B450M DS3H WIFI. (from Gigabyte)
and putting the power settings to low performance seems to fix it since it makes the temperatures low but the fps is not that good but I can deal with it until I find a solution.

Do you mean a better CPU cooler, then I need to know what case you have but something like this is better than the stock cooler, not over big and reasonably priced.... I am in Germany but I'm sure you could find something like it where you are. Installing a new cooler is not hard and there are LOADS guides and videos on Youtube etc showing step for step intallation.

Good budget

Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B

or bigger and more expensive

Noctua NH-D15

also consider

Dark Rock Pro 4

Jun 5, 2020
Do you mean a better CPU cooler, then I need to know what case you have but something like this is better than the stock cooler, not over big and reasonably priced.... I am in Germany but I'm sure you could find something like it where you are. Installing a new cooler is not hard and there are LOADS guides and videos on Youtube etc showing step for step intallation.

Good budget

Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B

or bigger and more expensive

Noctua NH-D15

also consider

Dark Rock Pro 4
no idea what pc case it is but it's from cyberpowerpc. I'm pretty sure it's a mid tower though. Is there some website or something to make sure?