[SOLVED] Why is my ping constantly double?

SteeldAKinG

Prominent
Aug 7, 2019
Hello there everyone.

I have been playing pubg for quite some time now, i belong to Pakistan which is located in SEA region so i get connected to SEA, where my ping is supposed to around 70-80, i play with a friend of mine hes from the same city as i, he gets his normal ping of 80ms all the times, even when we are playing duo modes and are in the same game he gets his normal ping while i keep getting a stable ping around 170-180 s which is double of what it should be, i posted on their forums but nobody bothers to reply (so much for their customer support), i've asked around and tried some stuff like portforwarding, some other tutorials from youtube about lowering ping on Windows 10 but nothing seems to work, this website has a good reputation when it comes to problems like these so i ended up here.

I play multiple games, im getting normal ping on all other games, the problem seems to be particular with PUBG, im aware that im supposed to provide additional info like tracert and ping tests, since pubg randomly connects you to a game(a server) i do not know how to tracert to those ips (i'd gladly to so and post it here if somebody tells me how to) i have done speed test on okla website which came out perfectly normal but i think that has nothing to do with the problem im facing

Here are my PC specs:
Intel Corei5-7500 3.4 gHz
GPU: Nvidia Gtx Geforce 1050ti 4GB
Ram: 16 GB
HDD: 1 TB Toshiba

I'll gladly provide any other info that may help solving this problem, and i hope i'll get a positive feed back and quicker response.

Good day :)

Solution
You can DL a free tool called Ping Plotter. It shows a graph of your exact route from your ISP terminal to your PC. You type in the closest, fastest URLs to you to see if your ISP route is the problem. It will also show the ping in real time during the test.

You basically want the path to look as straight as possible. It's rarely if ever a straight line, usually at least a dog leg route with one bend. If it zig zags back and forth it can affect ping a lot. https://www.pingplotter.com/products/free.html

I also suggest you use a ISP speed testing site that has a very close server. Use one that tests ping (latency) as well (which many do now).

SteeldAKinG

Prominent
Aug 7, 2019
I live in a neighbourhood so there are other PC’s connected to ISP from where my connection comes but that affects only my download speed sometimes, as I mention I don’t even get ping spikes or packet loss my ping just stays constantly between 170-180, I’m connected to Ethernet btw, I got a TP-LINK router with WiFi and WiFi is enabled on it , but I disable the WiFi when I’m gaming but that doesn’t do any good either :/

SteeldAKinG

Prominent
Aug 7, 2019
Other PCs connected to the ISP would not have any effect on ping or download speed, for that matter. What PC are you using (full specs would be helpful)?
It’s a Intel Corei5-7500 3.4 gh
16 gb ram (Kingston)
Gpu: Nvidia GTX GeForce 1050ti 4GB

Already mentioned other specs above in the post but hey tell me if something else you need to know

You can DL a free tool called Ping Plotter. It shows a graph of your exact route from your ISP terminal to your PC. You type in the closest, fastest URLs to you to see if your ISP route is the problem. It will also show the ping in real time during the test.

You basically want the path to look as straight as possible. It's rarely if ever a straight line, usually at least a dog leg route with one bend. If it zig zags back and forth it can affect ping a lot. https://www.pingplotter.com/products/free.html

I also suggest you use a ISP speed testing site that has a very close server. Use one that tests ping (latency) as well (which many do now).

Last edited:
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
That sounds bad, what are my options now?
'ping' is the time it takes for a round trip signal from your system to the remote server and back.
There is no magic number that it is "supposed to be".

Trying to change that is like making your commute time to school or work shorter, by removing or changing the timing of all the traffic lights along the way.
Outside of your control.

Ok I did download that software and ran the speed checks, and pinged websites like google and twitter , I some pattern it isn’t straight, how do I fix that ?
What was your lowest ave ping in ms? Don't just use sites like Google or Twitter. Look for places that you know are very near you. For me the best ones were the local public library, and a nearby well known store chain that's HQ is in my city. I've seen even local news websites yield high pings, so keep searching. Chances are there's going to be something that yields a route with no more than 2 bends in it, maybe one, unless you're unusually unlucky.

What this does is give us an idea if it's the lines your ISP uses in your neighborhood that's the problem. Worse case scenario, I've heard of stories where someone will consistently have 80ms or higher ping, often 100-150 on game servers, and they switch to a different ISP and then they're down to like 10ms or less ping. There's no guarantee that will be the case though, you have to just hope for the best.

As was stated though, no ISP service can, or is willing to try to improve your ping. Your stuck with the logistics of their system and how it serves you. I'll end by saying I spent many years on DSL, always thinking it was superior to cable internet. Cable used to always be shared bandwidth with drastically lowered DL speeds at prime usage hours. Now cable is often 100-105% of the advertised DL speed (105-106% for me), while DSL providers will not guarantee more than 80%, and you usually get no more than 90%. Hell, my upload speed is 120% of the advertised.

My ping also dropped from a 40ms average to 10ms average. I also get WAY more bang for buck at about $40 a month for 100MB down, vs that same price for only 15MB. Like I said though, no guarantees.

So tell me, is your ISP really better than mine? I pay a reasonable amount for easily more DL speed than I need, and my ping is consistently 10ms. Plus my DL consistently tests at 106MB, despite being 100MB I'm paying for, and even with a VPN running, it consistently tests at no less than 99MB. The only slight bother is it's only 5 upload speed, which affects the time it takes to upload to YouTube, but I get an actual of 6MB. I rarely upload more than 15 min videos to YT though.

Last edited: