Why is my R9 380 under-performing?

Tom_15_

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
Hello, recently I bought my MSI R9 380 4GB.

My other specs:
-MOBO: M5A78L-M/USB3
-PSU: EVGA 500W Bronze
-CPU: FX 8320
-RAM: 8GB

-Drivers: AMD beta drivers.

Lately in "demanding games" I have been feeling like my GPU is not showing how beasty it is (SOMETIMES). I seem to play Dying Light on High with a 60 range of FPS. I can play Rust on 'Good' with a good 60 range. But, when I play games like Minecraft, Gmod, WoW. I seem to get terrible FPS. Maybe it's the optimization, I'm not sure. Some reason I cannot put WoW on as it stutters, so I put it on High for it's best.

This may sound stupid, but I just have the feeling it isn't showing it's full power. I recorded my Temps on Rust, and it was a constant 65-66*C. So, I don't know if the PSU is bottlenecking and causing problems or what. Just really want to gain full potential of this card. Thanks.

(But I just feel like it's literally performing the same as my previous card, R9 270x.....)

********* HERE IS MY BENCHMARK, IT'S GODAWFUL:http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11901726?

Solution
Not PSU. Your CPU and GPU are hitting normal clocks during your benchmark. You would be crashing or locking up or throttling way low if it was a power issue. And 500w is enough for an FX 8350 + R9 380x, so you should be fine with an 8320 and 380.

R9 380 is based on the R9 285. This is not the same as the R9 280, which was based on the HD 7950. So it may have slight performance quirks in certain games due to the newer more efficiency-focused architecture.

Also, you are using Beta drivers. Pretty much all bets are off with Beta. Start by doing a clean uninstall of the drivers and use the official drivers that came with your GPU from the manufacturer, even if they are older. If these work better, then you could try downloading...
Not PSU. Your CPU and GPU are hitting normal clocks during your benchmark. You would be crashing or locking up or throttling way low if it was a power issue. And 500w is enough for an FX 8350 + R9 380x, so you should be fine with an 8320 and 380.

R9 380 is based on the R9 285. This is not the same as the R9 280, which was based on the HD 7950. So it may have slight performance quirks in certain games due to the newer more efficiency-focused architecture.

Also, you are using Beta drivers. Pretty much all bets are off with Beta. Start by doing a clean uninstall of the drivers and use the official drivers that came with your GPU from the manufacturer, even if they are older. If these work better, then you could try downloading and installing the latest official drivers from AMD.

Also note, WoW and Minecraft are CPU bound and may not see much improvement from a GPU upgrade.

Solution