Why is my RAM giving me the blue screen of death?

bacon4life

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Okay I got new RAM for my computer. I plugged it in and I got the blue screen of death. I plugged in the old RAM and looked up solutions. Well what I found was I have to update my motherboard.

So I did that, it was pretty outdated. Like the newest update was in 2013. Anyways I plugged the new RAM in and I got really excited. Everything went well until I started playing Black ops 2 multiplayer. Then the screen came back.

Is my RAM faulty and should I send it back for a replacement?

Do I have to update every single component in my computer for it to work (I only bothered to update the bios)

Could it be the RAM isn't getting enough electricity from my power supply?

My computer: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02628380 (with a 430W psu)

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

That wasn't the OP, I was telling you that generally on most all prebuilt computers you can't change timings, voltages, etc as you suggested earlier

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

Sorry, I'm just confused. You're saying you can't access your BIOS .. or are you saying you can't change any settings from within your BIOS? I'm confused because I've used Dell and HP OEM (pre-built) computers and never had any problems changing settings in the BIOS. It sounds like you've never tried to go there.

bacon4life

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

All I saw was the bios version, and the only instructions given to me by my computer is

f 10- setup Esc - Boot Menu

f 12 - Boot from LAN f 11 - System Recovery f 9 - Diagnostics

bacon4life

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

Yes I understand that. So what do you suggest? Is it the problem the RAM or that my computer is to old? I am building a new one. I just took the RAM out of the new build and put it in my current one for this one game

bacon4life

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

I know I'm asking a lot and you have been a big help. Can you look at my new build in progress and tell me if the RAM is going to work? If I'm going to send the RAM back it has to be by Thursday.

My build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2VVdWZ (with 1TB hard drive and Optical drive from my current computer)

TRENDING THREADS