Question Why is my ram sometimes downlocking to 1064.5.

brianseabury2

Honorable
Nov 26, 2017
Im using an i7 1165g7 for some reasons the mem controller frequency lowers sometimes to 531.7 mhz. sometimes the memory controller frequency is 802 mhz. its nice when Im getting 1602 mhz so essentially 3204 mhz. but sometimes the frequency is the ram is sometimes at 1062.6. the cl timings lower when the ram is clocked at that speed to cl 16 instead of cl 22. spd ext says its not an xmp ram stick. id like to buy a cl 16 3200 mhz kit that uses xmp. but im using an hp 15 dy2073dx. theres nowhere to enable an xmp profile. I was pleasantly surprised when I bought this to see that it was working at 3200 mhz. the only thing im confused about is should the memory controller be randomly dropping. is it supposed to more or less always be around 1600 mhz even though the fsb does constantly change.

kanewolf

Titan
Im using an i7 1165g7 for some reasons the mem controller frequency lowers sometimes to 531.7 mhz. sometimes the memory controller frequency is 802 mhz. its nice when Im getting 1602 mhz so essentially 3204 mhz. but sometimes the frequency is the ram is sometimes at 1062.6. the cl timings lower when the ram is clocked at that speed to cl 16 instead of cl 22. spd ext says its not an xmp ram stick. id like to buy a cl 16 3200 mhz kit that uses xmp. but im using an hp 15 dy2073dx. theres nowhere to enable an xmp profile. I was pleasantly surprised when I bought this to see that it was working at 3200 mhz. the only thing im confused about is should the memory controller be randomly dropping. is it supposed to more or less always be around 1600 mhz even though the fsb does constantly change.
It is a laptop. They do things for power or thermal management. Do you have the power plan set to high performance? Does it happen on AC or only on battery?
A lot of possibilities with a laptop.

brianseabury2

Honorable
Nov 26, 2017
thank you would turning off c1e disable this feature or for that matter speedstep. its on the balanced profile with cpu usage set to minimum 100 maximum 100. ive tested it with the computer boosted to its maximum frequency and it still happens except now sometimes I get half the clock speed of the processor as the mem controller frequency which becomes the speed of the ram as well. Ive found that clocking the cpu to 14 multiplier increases the ram speed sometimes but its always dropping the speed of the ram occasionally. im going to try disabling speedstep and see if that fixes it. thanks for your help.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
This is a power saving feature for laptops. Completely normal.
On a desktop this would not happen.

DDR5 does support this on desktop. Since they moved the power supply to the memory module itself, they can easily throttle up/ down when not needed without as bad a latency penalty when the power was regulated on the motherboard.

It is called Power Down mode, and is a configuration option on some motherboards.